x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What should HPC:Factor do next?

1 2 3 4 5 6
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-07-18 7:12 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2007-07-17 1:44 PM

gjcoram: you can search for messages, not just subjects, try specifying a poster name.

I was just noticing that, if I didn't ask to search in the messages, that I didn't have to restrict the other aspects of the search as drastically as Rich had indicated.

Are you saying that one can search for a keyword in all forums, all posts, subject&message, as long as I restrict to a single poster name? Hmm, indeed, I just did this and it worked.

Edited by gjcoram 2007-07-18 7:15 AM
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-07-18 8:12 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Hey Chris

Hasn't this thread has gotton way off the topic of 'What should HPC:Factor do next?'
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-07-18 5:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

How is talking about addressing the search function off-topic, John?
theoak Page Icon Posted 2007-07-18 6:14 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

How about a special section for hacks? (not software, but hardware hacks)? Like if anyone has been successful in soldering in a wifi or bluetooth module. Cable hacks, microphones (for devices that don't have them), adapter hacks, custom home made cases, and stuff like that. Things like these are scattered throughout this site, but with search not working quite right, it might be nice to aggregate them in a dedicated area.
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-07-19 5:09 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

That'd be great, but possibly a bit sparse...
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-07-19 5:13 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

We've got the HCL

How about the SCL (Software compatability list), along with a list of necessary supporting tools to get stuff designed for PiddlePCs working on HPCs. I'm not talking about cracking software: I'm talking about making software run within its licensing agreements etc on different hardware.

I'd love to see this whole area better documented, and I'd love HPCFactor to be the leading repository.
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-07-19 7:12 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2007-07-18 5:02 PM

How is talking about addressing the search function off-topic, John?

You're right......ignore my comment.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-07-19 8:41 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

theoak - 2007-07-18 11:14 PM

How about a special section for hacks? (not software, but hardware hacks)? Like if anyone has been successful in soldering in a wifi or bluetooth module. Cable hacks, microphones (for devices that don't have them), adapter hacks, custom home made cases, and stuff like that. Things like these are scattered throughout this site, but with search not working quite right, it might be nice to aggregate them in a dedicated area.
Sounds like this could be served by a sub section of the CESD rather than the need for any additional database automation. The only thing is (and the reason why we don't currently do it) that people would have to be willing to accept our enforcement of content ownership without asking for approval first (which is in the forum sign-up T&C).
How would people feel about that?

@ Chiark's comment,

I have considered this before, but to my mind it also implies a downloads catalogue the likes of which we simply cannot afford to operate. There is also a maintenance issue that has to be realistically considered.
I (almost) single handedly administer all the other databases and their content on this site, with the odd exception being a news post here and there and Rich Hawley's gracious assistance on the NEC Spec's. I have to chuckle at the idea of me writing and then unilaterally populating it!

Now, if Henri were willing to allow/assist in database automation of his j7xx content, Claude too and the guys from HPC Software Repository were willing to come on board and have administrative rights in the management of the engine, we would have something to discuss on this idea becoming a reality.
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-07-19 8:48 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

That would be simply superb - Henri's j7xx would be a fantastic start. I'm more thinking of a section/FAQ a bit like on winehq that lists what applications work, how well they work and what would be needed to get them working. Definitely not a download site!
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-07-19 9:26 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The database system is certainly doable as on WineHQ, it's an abstraction of the HCL when all is said and done.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-07-20 4:40 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

chiark - 2007-07-19 5:48 AM

That would be simply superb - Henri's j7xx would be a fantastic start. I'm more thinking of a section/FAQ a bit like on winehq that lists what applications work, how well they work and what would be needed to get them working. Definitely not a download site!

Not a new idea, chiark - jmztaylor set up a site for just this purpose last year. I know cuz I was one of the mods, before jmztaylor had to shut down the site due to being too busy to run it. (Anyone remember HPC Online?)
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-07-20 5:18 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2007-07-20 9:40 AM
jmztaylor had to shut down the site due to being too busy to run it.
No one is pretending that it is an original, patent pending idea, most webmasters have thought about it, and the above answer is the problem. Henri and Claude have been the exceptions over the years, but have been specific and lacked automation which would really make the systems fluid and functional.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-07-22 6:02 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I think we coulda kept it going if we'd had more than just a few people contributing tutorials on specific apps. Maybe we can try again if we can gather enough interest here.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-07-22 6:20 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I am not going to touch an IDE on this until a credible mod group exists and I can see some actual willingness to actively contribute - i.e. people start preparing off-line data for it between now and when it is ready for public consumption, and not just raise their hands because they can get some glory.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-07-22 6:29 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, my hope is that people will see my previous post and, with any luck, lots of them will want to help. (It's all right to dream, as long as one doesn't drool on the pillow.)
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9