x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP 360LX Hard Reset Itself on a Soft Reset

1 2
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2007-07-14 9:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I was having some trouble connecting to a site on my 360LX, and decided to do a quick soft reset to clear up the problem - it's seemed to fix the issue when it's occurred before.

So, I open the backup battery compartment, and poke the reset button with m stylus. At the time, I had Pocket IE open, had my 256 MB CF card in one slot, and my Netgear MA401 WiFi PC card in the other.

So, the device resets. I mean, it really resets - the next thing I hear is that chime sound that indicates the thing's done a hard reset. That's...not normal. Anyway, I walk through all the initial setup steps, and restore my most recent backup - from September 2006.

Obviously, more frequent backups would be a good idea, but does anyone have any idea why this might have occurred, so I can either prevent or minimize the possibility of this occurring in the future?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-07-15 5:49 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It may have been resetting with the hardware installed, if you were on battery the reset could have spiked the power lines, causing main RAM to drop.
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2007-07-15 6:01 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

C:Amie - 2007-07-15 2:49 AM

It may have been resetting with the hardware installed, if you were on battery the reset could have spiked the power lines, causing main RAM to drop.

Oh, yeah, I was on battery at the time.

A voltage issue makes sense, too, since the MA410 card is a 5 volt card. Hmm, next time, note to self, pop the card first.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-21 4:15 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I just had this happen to me while messing with installing programs. For some reason my 360LX locked up while transferring files (luckily I backed stuff up). It did a full reset (forgot to have AC plugged in). Also for some reason my SD card keeps corrupting every now and then. So im backing my stuff up everytime I do something. Not sure why this is happening, im using a 512mb SD card into a CF adaptor. Up until now i have NOT had any issues. Started today when I began installing software from the computer to my 360LX and installing the software on my SD instead of the main memory.

-Walt B
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-21 11:06 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Sounds like weak backup and main batteries which preserve Ram contents so soft reset can work... shouldn't happen if on AC if so, IMO. Is your backup battery from 2006 as well?

joval...
now listening to Kost FM music via his J720/Devuan/RasPi_Zero2/VNC hybrid HPC +Bluetooth Pod speaker... nice! Best $15 bucks I ever spent: the Zero2

Edited by joval 2021-11-21 11:11 AM
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-21 1:59 PM
#
H/PC Elite

For some reason when I sync my 360LX it corrupts my SD card and I have to copy and paste all my files back onto my SD card. Not sure why this is happening. Anyone know of something obvious im missing here ? Thanks ;-)

-Walt B
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-21 2:48 PM
#
H/PC Elite

So it did it again. I loaded my files back onto my SD card, then I connected it to my computer and it connected. But all the files on my SD card are corrupt and when I eject the CF/SD from my 360LX and re inset it, it asks me to format the card to work on the 360LX. But if i put the SD card into my computer the files are on it. But the 360LX does not see the files. This is driving me nuts.

-Walt B
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-21 5:26 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

WallyB110 - 2021-11-21 6:48 AM

So it did it again. I loaded my files back onto my SD card, then I connected it to my computer and it connected. But all the files on my SD card are corrupt and when I eject the CF/SD from my 360LX and re inset it, it asks me to format the card to work on the 360LX. But if i put the SD card into my computer the files are on it. But the 360LX does not see the files. This is driving me nuts.

-Walt B

A defective SD to CF adapter can certainly cause this problem. There are many defective ones out there, especially the red ones... both ArchiMark and I can attest to that! The black ones cost a bit more but more reliable.

You would need a usb to CF card reader to test read/writes from your computer... less than 10 bucks on amazon, as I recall.

joval...

here undeclocking my J720 to 88Mhz not 206Mhz normally, etc. Not noticable much when posting this.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-21 6:51 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Why does it only do this when I connect to Active Sync tho ? Ive been putting certain programs etc for a month no problem onto this SD/CF combo with no issues. It seems like it wants to sync an old setup when it connects to the computer. Right now I have the 360LX loaded with just about everything I need (other than Network stuff to help get me connected to my router) and it works fine. When I plug it back into the computer im taking out the SD/CF combo and then when its done syncing ill plug the card back in. Something is going on with the Active Sync software imho. I really dont think it has anything to do with the SD/CF combo I have, but i could be wrong by all means. Just odd it worked no prob and now its doing this only when Active Sync connects to the 360LX.

-Walt B

THe 512mb SD card im using ive used in my Palm before and also my digital camera in the past without issues. If it is indeed a hardware issue itd have to be the reader, which is one of the red ones you speak of.

I have a PCMCIA to USB reader but it does not work. Itll sometimes pop up in my computer, but 90% of the time it doesnt work. This is the 2nd one ive bought that does this.

I guess ill order another (different) SD to CF adaptor and see if that does the trick. Just really frusterated, i feel like im pulling teeth to try to do the most simple things. Grrrr....

Edited by WallyB110 2021-11-21 6:54 PM
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-21 7:04 PM
#
H/PC Elite

This is the combo

I think your right this SD to CF adaptor is bad. I had not had any issues outside of the Active Sync issue until about 2mins ago. I ejected the CF card (with the unit off) and plugged it back in and turned on the unit and it says it needs to format the card. :-( WTF!!!!!!

-Walt B

Not happy, been waiting over a month for certain parts and finally have them all and I cant even put software on a SD card without it being corrupted. A lot of wasted time the past 24 hours ill put it that way.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-21 7:09 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2021-11-21 7:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I have the same adapter card as in the image above. I've had occasional issues with it not being read, but removing and reinserting and/or soft resetting the device has usually resolved the problem. (Of course, in CE 2.0 the card has to be formatted to FAT rather than FAT32.) I suspect the connection interface between the SD card and the adapter is less than perfect.

I had the same reset issue with my old LG Phenom H120 (my very first H/PC). I never figured out what the problem was. Maybe a loose battery connection or a weak main battery.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2021-11-21 10:36 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Nahhh the one I have acts funny. No matter how nicely i reinsert this CF/SD combo it does not work. Its def the adaptor as the SD card still indeed has the files and info on it when I plug it into a PC. Its the adaptor connection to the palmtop itself def. Only reason I was questioning this was because it seemed to start when I was trying to use Active Sync to put software on it. But the more I messed with things it was obvious its the adaptor.

-Walt B
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2021-11-22 12:04 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

WallyB110 - 2021-11-21 2:36 PM

Nahhh the one I have acts funny. No matter how nicely i reinsert this CF/SD combo it does not work. Its def the adaptor as the SD card still indeed has the files and info on it when I plug it into a PC. Its the adaptor connection to the palmtop itself def. Only reason I was questioning this was because it seemed to start when I was trying to use Active Sync to put software on it. But the more I messed with things it was obvious its the adaptor.

-Walt B

Don't buy the Walmart card, it's the same basic design. Check out my Easy Devuan thread it shows the one Im using. We wasted weeks with those red ones. This one is better:

One trick that might work... cuz of poor seating of contacts... put a few layers of scotch tape over the SD card near the contact end so it fits snuggly... might do the trick, an as Ce Geek says may need to reseat it a few times. Maybe your usb Cf card reader is ok but the CF adapter is the real culprit. They're really great when they work.

Joval
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2021-11-22 7:49 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Are there any consistent part numbers on these devices? Markings, FCC ID? Something that we can reliably use to put them into the SCL with?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8