x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I bought an extra battery for my Jornada. What's the proper way to use it?

1 2
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 3:49 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

i'm gonna be needing extra hours from my jornada soon when i travel over sees. so i bought a second standard battery for my jornada. but i'm not sure how to use it and keep it.

is it okay if i just use it for that round trip and then not use it until my next trip which might be 1, 2 or 3 years later?? does that damage it?

i heard li-ion batteries don't suffer from memory effect, so that's good.

and it doesn't hard-reset the jornada if i just swap the batteries quickly right? not unless i remove the backup battery.

thanks,
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 6:33 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I shouldn't hard reset when you take the Battery out and put a new one in, unless your Backup is either Dead or Low. For the Battery I personaly would just use a mix of the Batterys to make sure you don't damage it at all. Then you'll have two good batterys definetly.

Nick
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 12:21 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I have 3 extra batteries, which i do not use to the full extent each day, so I use them in a round robin basis, each day I put one in the J and have a backup one. the next day the main battery gets recharged and stored, the backup one becames the main one, and one of the stored batts gets to be the backup one. Then wash, rinse and repeat. So far the batteries are holding almost the same charge that when they were purchased

anyways if you're going to store one, i suggest you charge it at least to 40% before storing.

And no, Li-Ion do not suffer memory effect (at least not to the extent of NiCd or NiMH)

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 12:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i agree with Nick on this one. i use two batteries myself and i always swap them. li-ion hates if it doesn't get any use... and no, no hard reset
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 12:25 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hehehe funny to post at the same time

at least msafi can be absolutely sure now how to use the batteries

Edited by cmonex 2005-04-09 12:26 PM
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 12:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

no, it was not at the same time, mine came 1 minute earlier!

but yes, he will be sure on battery usage now

i've an idea: why not make a manual for newbies with answers to the most common questions and put that manual in the front page?. That way we'll avoid PS and newbies fighting each other, and well save newbies time in finding their answers

I believe the topics that should be covered:
- Basic concepts of the HPC (history, description)
- Sort of "getting started" section, what happens from the moment you receive your HPC to the moment you "get the grip" (HOWTO: power-up, PIM explanation, sync, accesories, battery replacement, battery info etc)
- Links to app sites, for the users to find the ones that most suit their needs

what do you think about that? many of the info is already covered here in form of CESD articles, we'll only need a central reference place for that in a newbie-friendly way
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 1:05 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

sure, i've already been thinking about it! i'm not perfect at english but i still can write something and you just correct it!
i only know HPC2000 and jornada 720/728, but can help a little with the 680e's too
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 1:37 PM
#
H/PC Elite

ok, i'll PM you my email address, so we can start getting this on.
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 1:38 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I agree with matrixcore about the newbies manual. Where to start?

Nick
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 2:52 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Nick Charlton - 2005-04-09 1:38 PM

I agree with matrixcore about the newbies manual.

Good luck. I participate on different boards, Linux, Windows, PDAs, etc., & have done so before there was an Internet. The first thing I do when I join a new site is go through everything --all posts, FAQ, etc. It is my observation that there are moochers who hit up participants for quick, specific information. I call these moochers 'hit and run newbies.'

They have no intention of staying around but just want members to do all the work for them, and once they get what they need, they do not return. I do not think such people read "newbie" docs. I am on sites that have them and we still get hit and run newbies. Some lie and say they cannot find a download they were told about because they want a member to link them right to the download.

My policy is this: When I observe that a particular new person presents a pattern of posting basic questions that are answered by manuals and basic FAQ threads and he shows a pattern of asking for links made specifically for him, I note it and ignore his posts.

I figure 'hit and run newbies' are much more competent than they let on. Please note that I am NOT SAYING that all newbies are 'hit and run newbies'.

I AM SAYING a lot of the seemingly needy ones are really 'hit and run moochers' and as such, they will not read a newbie manual.

...Of course, this is merely my humble opinion...

--Bruised
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 3:15 PM
#
H/PC Elite

EDIT Where to start? /EDIT

make documents describing basic usage of you device, similar to the manuals
that means writing HOW-TO's:
-Power
- What is suspend, power on, a hard reset and a soft reset.

- How to power on particular devices (i have j680/j728, cmonex has 720, if you have another device make your howto, and PM me for the email address to submit)

- How to make soft/hard resets on your device (again, J680/690/710/720/728 are already covered, any other device specific submissions are accepted

-Windows CE basics
- The start menu (brief explanation)
- Control panel basics
- Any device specific utility program should be explained here (HP settings, HP backup, etc). again, we'll only be able to cover Jornada series, any other handheld is unknown to us, but any info will be appreciated

-ActiveSync
- this should be only a link to the existent CESD about AS

that will do for the beggining, we'll continue adding content. maybe we can get C:Amie to upload it here, or could you host it Nick?

EDIT
Bruised: yes i know there are many newbies like that, but we'll try as far a we can to provide them with info and links, so they'll not need to ask newbie questions. There's many info in the CESD, is just that newbies do not know WTF the CESD is. Have you ever read any of the "(insert your favorite computer suject here) for dummies" books. it'll be similar to that, a central place for people that doesn't know nothing about their brand new devices (well, not exactly new, just new to them)

Just what methinks about that, any comments?
/EDIT

Edited by matrixcore 2005-04-09 3:23 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 4:23 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Please lay off of me everyone, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have mentioned something similar to C:Amie, but since it looks like this is rolling, PM me and I can help out too.
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 4:46 PM
#
H/PC Elite

matrixcore - 2005-04-09 8:15 PM

maybe we can get C:Amie to upload it here, or could you host it Nick?

I'll host it thats fine, unless C:Aime will?

I'm already working on several projects, but I will help a little.

Nick
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 5:28 PM
#
H/PC Elite

ok, so let's assign tasks so we'll not repeat things
cmonex: could you write the basics for the J7xx line (power, reset, battery, default accesories, WinCE basics)
I'll write the same about the J6xx

Anybody else with any other kind of device willing to help?

i think i'll start posting in a new thread, for we've gone off-topic in this one, we're going to get a moderator warning if we continue in here
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 6:38 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hmmm. i would like to write about the more complicated things too. my favourite topic is hacking if you haven't found it out yet
anyway, someone could help me with the basics as i don't know everything for example know nothing about AS synchronization as i never use this feature (don't laugh at me please )
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10