x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Synctel Software's Palm Chess 2.0.3

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-08-05 1:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

"There are a number of quality Chess programs that will run on my Handheld PC, but Synctel Software's - PalmChess 2.0.3 is definitely the cream of the crop. I believe that chess players of all skill levels will find this software both challenging and entertaining, so join me as I have a closer look at what this fine software has to offer Handheld PC Chess lovers."

Join John Ottini as he tests his wits against Synctels Windows CE Chess engine and looks to see what Palm Chess 2.0.3 can offer above and beyond its competition.

Read the review and then have your say here on the forums!

View: Synctel Software Palm Chess 2.0.3
 Top of the page Quote Reply
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-05 2:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Another nice review, John. You covered all the details very well, including taking into account the wide variance in ability and knowledge among chess players.

I haven't tried Palm Chess, primarily because of the high price. (Richard Lang's Chess Genius, which has all the same features plus a stronger playing engine, sells for $5 less - but it's a Pocket PC program, so it needs extra DLLs to work on the H/PC.)

Scott Ludwig's Pocket Chess is another very good chess program for the H/PC. I don't know if it's as strong as Palm Chess - and it certainly doesn't have as many features - but it does appear to be well above average in playing strength. Even better, it's compatible all the way back to CE 1 - and the H/PC version is free. (Think I'll write me a review of that program. )
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-08-05 2:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek, if you are serious about reviewing it, we'd love to publish it. Just drop Clint a note if you're interested.

May be a "Ultimate H/Pc Chess" review is needed to compare all the options. There is MCHESS, Pocket Chess and the Chess from Windows CE Entertainment Pack too.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-05 4:40 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's a thought. I have two of those three already, and I assume that by "MCHESS" you mean Midnight Chess. Let me take a good look at the two I have, and then I'll let Clint know if I'm ready to do a full review of all three.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-08-05 4:47 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you would like to write a contrast and compare review, then the more apps you have in there the better
If you don't have any of them, let Clint know and we'll see about sourcing them for you (with a commitment from you of course).
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-08-06 7:47 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

C:Amie - 2007-08-05 2:29 PM

CE Geek, if you are serious about reviewing it, we'd love to publish it. Just drop Clint a note if you're interested.

May be a "Ultimate H/Pc Chess" review is needed to compare all the options. There is MCHESS, Pocket Chess and the Chess from Windows CE Entertainment Pack too.

If I had to rank them

1. Palm Chess
2. Pocket Chess
3. MS Chess

The only one I'm not fimiliar with is MChess...who is the developer and is it a true HPC program?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-08-06 7:56 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I cannot help you with that one at the moment, I am standing in someones server room. truth be known to find it I just searched my CE apps folder for 'chess' and it came up, so I know I didn't imagine it
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-06 5:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

If "MCHESS" is Midnight Chess, as I suggested above, then yes, unless I'm mistaken it is written for the H/PC.

ps - John, I may be PMing you from time to time with a question or two about Palm Chess' features so I can compare them to those of the other three.
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-08-07 7:58 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2007-08-06 5:18 PM

If "MCHESS" is Midnight Chess, as I suggested above, then yes, unless I'm mistaken it is written for the H/PC.

ps - John, I may be PMing you from time to time with a question or two about Palm Chess' features so I can compare them to those of the other three.

Glad to help out
bonaninia
bonaninia Page Icon Posted 2007-09-14 2:55 PM
#
i tried the program which i just purchased and it refuses to execute - response with "missing part of program"

you tried it a month earlier than me and your worked - something is very wrong with me or my jornada 720

did you have any install problems ???

"sounds" like a good program - if it works !!!
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-09-14 3:30 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

If you bought it from Handango, then you need to contact them and tell them you have a problem?

Are you sure they sent you 'palmchess203hpc' and not the Pocket PC version?

bonaninia
bonaninia Page Icon Posted 2007-09-14 3:35 PM
#
yes i did, but they seem to have taken a "wash their hands attitude" and decided to refund my money (which i have not seen yet)

thanks for your quick reply.
bonaninia
bonaninia Page Icon Posted 2007-09-14 3:38 PM
#
they set me up to download

palmchess203pkt.exe

no obtions for hpc version
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-09-14 3:44 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Did you use the purchase link on the Synctel website, to buy PalmChess 2.0.3 from Handango? There was a special code number (provided by Synctel) you needed to input so you can download the HPC version....did you use that?

If this didn't work, then the developer may have to find another way to sell you the software....you might ask them if you could buy it directly from them or if they have another way for you to purchase the software?

Handango's attutude towards HPC owners has been disappointing from day one!

You might want to let Synctel know how Handango is treating their potential customers!

Edited by Hurricane John 2007-09-14 3:49 PM
bonaninia
bonaninia Page Icon Posted 2007-09-14 5:34 PM
#
synctel site sends you to handango to purchase - thats what i did - did not receive any special number or site to go to

i am disappointed with their response - that's life, i guess.
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 26