x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

SearcH/PC working in H/PC Pro

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-15 6:15 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Spiny's SearcH/PC has been a nice little utility for H/PC 2000 users, but up until now no one has been able to get it working in H/PC Pro. I just succeeded in getting it to work, and it turned out to be easier than I thought it would be.

How to do it:

1) Copy the Visual Basic runtime files for H/PC 2000 (the "full" folder) for the target device's processor ( http://www.hpcfactor.com/developer ) to the H/PC Pro device (cleanest way is to copy the whole folder over).

2) Using Executability Check, change the OS version of all those files from 3.0 to 2.11.

3) Copy the files over one at a time, in each case using regsvrce.exe to register the file.

That's it! It doesn't need all the runtime files, but does need some of the MSCE*.dll files in the "full" folder (I don't recall exactly which ones, but I believe they included MSCEListView.dll, MSCETabStrip.dll, and maybe MSCEComDlg.dll). If you're not running any CE 2.11 VB apps on the device, it won't affect anything else.

I tested it using a file that appears over 100 times on the device, and it completed the search in about 10 seconds.

I've only tested this on my J820 thus far. Later today I'll be testing it again on one or more of my CE 2.11 MIPS devices.

Edited by CE Geek 2007-08-15 6:22 AM
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-08-15 9:58 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Why isn't SearcH/PC done with Visual C? I assume it would run lots faster ...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-15 2:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You'll have to talk to Spiny about that. I suspect, though, that he used VB because it's easier to compile with.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-08-15 2:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

easier to program, rather.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-15 3:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Okay, I was close.

Working in H/PC Pro MIPS too - confirmed this using my Clio.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-15 5:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I should clarify step 3). You copy each runtime file over to \Windows from wherever you put it on the device (in my case I put the whole runtime file folder on the Storage Card). And you only register the DLL files with regsvrce (or regsvr2). Also, regsvrce requires a command-line utility to enter the registration command (just use \Windows\cmd.exe). regsvr2.exe opens a dialog window where you enter the file location (eg, \Windows\vbscript.dll).

Edited by CE Geek 2007-08-15 6:00 PM
 Top of the page
Spiny Page Icon Posted 2007-08-29 8:25 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Nice one CE Geek! I'll stick a link to your solution on the SearcH/PC page.

gjcoram - 2007-08-14 2:58 PM

Why isn't SearcH/PC done with Visual C? I assume it would run lots faster ...

Hmm, let me see, could it be because I can't program in C?

A long time ago I made a lot of use of batchfiles. When I wanted to do more I taught myself some basic VBS. I started using VBS at work to automate software installations, when management got wind of this they got me automating things with a VB 6 based system. After that they got me programming PPCs with VB.Net. Finally I decided to teach myself eVB so I could make a few utilities for my Jornada, and one of them kept growing and growing...

You're welcome to port SearcH/PC to C, but I don't have the time to learn another language.
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-08-30 6:00 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'm willing to give it a try, Spiny. I sent you an e-mail to an address I found on your web page, but I didn't hear back. I was looking for source code, but now I wonder if the VBS isn't compiled, maybe the program is the source ...

Wait, now I remember the problem: the link for the bare .vb is broken.

Edited by gjcoram 2007-08-30 6:10 AM
 Top of the page
Spiny Page Icon Posted 2007-09-13 3:53 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

For reasons I don't pretend to understand, my host won't allow the .vb file to be downloaded. It's now zipped instead. You can get it here, but it won't help. VB is compiled.

You email must have been eaten by my spam filter. PM me with your address and I'll send you the source.

Sorry about the late reply, but I was much too lazy...err...busy to do it.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9