x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

EXCLUSIVE: Clearview unveils the release name of the XL43

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-08-19 4:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The wait is over!

Back in April we brought you a once in a lifetime opportunity, here and exclusively through HPC:Factor Clearview Technology passed the torch of burden across to you, our visitors and asked you to come up with suggestions for the release name of the then "XL43", Clearview 's performance, low cost and highly innovative multimedia extravaganza.

After two and a half months of open competition, and a month and a half judging and readying the branding we are extremely pleased to unveil to you for the first time the new release name of the latest and greatest Clearview CE based device.

The winner of the competition judged by Clearview 's management is none other than our very own Clinton Fitch, with his suggestion Infinity

After a little marketing magic, Clearview are proud to unveil the finished product as the Clearview miPC Infinity.

The infinity is a Windows CE 5.0 based 600MHz AMD AU1250 handheld boasting 128MB DDR2 RAM, 1.3 Mega Pixel digital camera, Bluetooth, SD & MMC Slots, USB 2.0 capability, 100Mbps WiFi, GPS, DVB-T TV tuner and FM radio.
With the development of the product over, the Infinity is now entering production and while no availability date has yet been made available, the aim is to have the product in stores before the Christmas season.

Stay tuned to HPC:Factor for more on the Infinity very soon!
 Top of the page Quote Reply
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-19 4:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I hate to nitpick (even though it's a hobby of mine), but according to the survey, Clint suggested InfinitCE, not Infinity.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-08-19 4:58 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Indeed, this is where Clearview wahted to head, and for marketing purposes they liked the name, but felt that branding it as CE in the name would dissuade elements of the potential market base. They comprimised on it after a marketing process.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-19 8:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

MyPad would've avoided those problems.
Sch01ar Page Icon Posted 2007-08-22 4:13 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Will it work with the Foleo?
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2007-08-22 7:04 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Sch01ar - 2007-08-22 9:13 AM

Will it work with the Foleo?

Huh?

Foleo specs:
416 MHz Intel/Marvell PXA27x processor
Marathon 2700G graphics card
256MB of non-volatile flash memory
128MB of RAM for general application use
CompactFlash slot suppprts 4GB
SD slot

Comparing the two, the Infinity is arguably at least as powerful as the Foleo. Just get a bluetooth keyboard for the Infinity and be done with it!

The Infinity sounds very promising indeed. Any word on pricing as yet?

Edit:

Just wanted to ask a few questions since I haven't really been following the development of this product.
- What is the screen resolution? I'm praying for 1024 x 600 but 800 x 480 will be okay.
- Will it allow pairing with a mobile phone for internet access away from WiFi?
- What browser does this come with? Internet Explorer for CE? I would really like flash/ AJAX support if possible, oh and tabs!

Edited by ZSX 2007-08-22 7:18 AM
Sch01ar Page Icon Posted 2007-08-22 2:09 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Not like u to miss my joke, ZSX; maybe I should have 'd
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2007-08-22 5:10 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Oops!

On an aside, I am looking for a "smartphone" companion (if one wants to call it that), one with a large screen for proper full internet experience web browsing and document editing, and a proper media player (i.e. including video). It should have WiFi connectviity at home, but 3/3.5G connectivity tethered to my mobile when I am out and about. It must have instant on and a great battery life, but it has also got to be small enough to pop into a small bag. So far only the Nokia N800 and the Infinity fit my criteria. The Foleo could also work, but there have been some queries as to its ability to play back video.

I await more details with bated breath and hope it is cheaper than the Foleo!
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-08-23 6:03 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Final pricing hasn't been released to us yet, but I hope to have it soon. ClearView want to enter into the market with a device which will compete with UMPC devices, be more convenient than a slow to load Vista UMPC and be significantly cheaper - you can license about 26 copies of CE for the price of 1 Vista ultiamte (take that speculatively as you cannot genuinely compare Vista Retail and CE OEM prices)
Clearview
Clearview Page Icon Posted 2007-12-15 3:45 AM
#
ZSX - 2007-08-22 7:04 AM
Comparing the two, the Infinity is arguably at least as powerful as the Foleo. Just get a bluetooth keyboard for the Infinity and be done with it!

The Infinity sounds very promising indeed. Any word on pricing as yet?

Edit:

Just wanted to ask a few questions since I haven't really been following the development of this product.
- What is the screen resolution? I'm praying for 1024 x 600 but 800 x 480 will be okay.
- Will it allow pairing with a mobile phone for internet access away from WiFi?
- What browser does this come with? Internet Explorer for CE? I would really like flash/ AJAX support if possible, oh and tabs!

Power is not everything my friend it's how you "use it" that matters, right? Of course, I am refering to the drivers etc.

Base model (without gps/nav)

4.3" TFT Touch Screen 480X270(16.7M colors)
Video Playback Resolution 720X480

It comes with WIFI 802.11 B/G and it has auto connect feature to any available wireless network

At the present moment Internet Explorer
There is a very good chance this will be replaced byOPERA 9 with FLASH embedded.

In terms of options it will have the following accessories;
- FOLDABLE BLUETOOTH KEYBOARD - HID PROFILE
- BLUETOOTH HEADSET - A2DP PROFILE

cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-12-15 10:59 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok just to make it fully clear as i'm confused - will the wlan and the bluetooth be built in or usb dongles? my last information on this is that they both will be dongles.

if dongles, will there be two usb ports to be able to host both at the same time, or only one?

is the "100mbps wifi" 108 or 54mbps in reality?

will there be a version with 800x480 screen resolution?

Edited by cmonex 2007-12-15 11:02 AM
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 26