The Microsoft Windows CE synchronisation client has been updated with a new minor-release in the form of ActiveSync 4.2.
The fourth version of the Windows CE sync client is designed specifically for use with Windows CE .net and 5.0 devices and platforms, however is interoperable down to any Windows CE 3.0 based device; including HPC2000.
The official list of changes for the release states:
- Microsoft Outlook Improvements: Resolves issues relating to error code 85010014
- Proxy/DTPT interaction Improvements: Improved auto configuration of device Connection Manager settings when desktop has no proxy path to the internet
- Improved Desktop Pass Thru behaviour with ISA proxy failures
- Partnership improvements: Better resolution of multiple devices with the same name syncing with the same desktop
- Connectivity Improvements: Better handling of VPN clients (resolve unbinding of protocols from our RNDIS adapter). New auto detection of connectivity failure with user diagnostic alerts
As another minor enhancement to the ActiveSync environment, many users will remain disillusioned that wide-area connectivity has not been restored to the release, a set of features present in the version 3 client which allowed for dial-up, local area, wide area and wireless network synchronisation.
ActiveSync 4.2 can be downloaded for free from the Microsoft download centre. For Handheld PC users, unless your device specifically requires ActiveSync 4 connectivity, HPC:Factor recommends continuing to use version 3.8.