x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-05-15 3:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I recently bought 5 Mobilepro 800s on eBay and they were just delivered. Pretty cool as they all work perfectly, and the price was right...$10 plus $20 shipping.

But the cool thing is the stylii that came with them...something I hadn't seen before...bright orange!

Rich

(stylus.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments stylus.jpg (22KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-05-15 3:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

FIVE 800s for $30 including shipping??
 Top of the page
Dan Page Icon Posted 2008-05-15 4:08 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Never seen anything like that
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-05-15 4:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yep, works out to $6 each, but they don't have a/c adapters or batteries with them. I have a good 880, but it needs an LCD ribbon cable, so I'll use one of these for that.

Then I thought I might turn one into an electronic picture frame.

eBay auction# 350056961397

They have another batch for sale here: 260240471745 if you want to give it a chance. Probably the same as I had. I bid $10 on my auction and no one else overbid me.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-05-15 4:18 PM
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2008-05-15 5:10 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I was wondering who was going to be the lucky one. Congratulations!

I'd be interested in how the picture frame thing works out. The lack of batteries and AC adaptor kept me away.

jt
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-05-15 5:47 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I did check the specs of the AC adapter from this site, but it says 13.5VDC 2 2.6A. I guess it's 13.5VDC/2.6A. Maybe, I can use 12V/2.5A adapter. Now, is the socket the same size as that on MP900(C) (1.7mm/4.0mm)? $6 can only buy the orange stylus.

Edited by CAuser 2008-05-15 5:58 PM
 Top of the page
HPCer Page Icon Posted 2008-05-15 6:00 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2008-05-15 3:54 PM

I recently bought 5 Mobilepro 800s on eBay and they were just delivered. Pretty cool as they all work perfectly, and the price was right...$10 plus $20 shipping.

But the cool thing is the stylii that came with them...something I hadn't seen before...bright orange!

Rich

Sweet
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-05-15 6:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

CAuser - 2008-05-15 2:47 PM
Maybe, I can use 12V/2.5A adapter. Now, is the socket the same size as that on MP900(C) (1.7mm/4.0mm)?

Not the same size. You can use a 12-volt (max) universal power adapter with multiple plugs, but most of them are way short of 2.6 Ah at 12 V. Caveat emptor.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-05-15 6:21 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I have 12V/2.5A adapters with plug adapters to go from 2.1mm/5mm to 1.3mm/3.5mm (Skeye.pad SL) or 1.7mm/4mm (MP900).

Edited by CAuser 2008-05-15 6:21 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-05-15 7:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The 12V adapter works fine as long as you are not intending to charge the battery. But it will power the unit fine by itself. The connector is atypical. One of those weird barrel type connectors with a center pin. Very hard to match. Since the current draw will be minimal without the battery, I plan on using that speaker type wire that is flat and near invisible (adhesive on one side) to drop down from the wall to the transformer.

I plan on just using my own connector and removing the factory jack when I mod the unit for the picture frame. Now I need to see if this thing will work with Dockware. Make it a picture frame/clock/calendar all in one. I also need to see how much of this I can remove and still have it work. I don't need a keyboard, or case, or anything except basic guts...to fit into my homebuilt wooden oak frame...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-15 8:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well then I'm sort of afraid to admit I used a 800mA (right, 0.8A!), at 12V, to power AND charge the battery of a nec 800. I did that for months just fine - until I got the original adapter that came with a 880.

the only problem was I could not set the brightness at full while charging if the unit was on. but it charged OK on lower levels of backlight. and when the battery was very low, I had to start charging with the unit off.

Edited by cmonex 2008-05-15 8:53 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2008-05-15 11:09 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

beats my ebay deal of 5 jornada 720 for 100 bucks last year on ebay...3 worked fine...two had bad video ribbon cables...one of which I swapped out the ribbon from an old 680 I had...the other video cable I repaired by soldering a short run of cat 5 wire from the mother board to the lcd display (worked great...no more orange and purple horizon lines). So in the end I have them all working...bought batteries for 15 bucks...made stylus from 3/16wooden dowl I sharpened to a point in a pencil sharpener, etc.

tcmp should make for a good picture viewer...but then you have your nec site and know whats best...tcmp will play network or pc shared video and photo files wirelessly...I listen to UC Berkley lectures wirelessly from my pc hardrive...the 720 will play all night long with standard battery...I can doze off in minutes on sleepless night...

hopefully...you're not all dozing off after reading this...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-05-16 12:11 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, and I was still feeling wonderful about the fully-working Clio C-1050 I got for $15 plus shipping last year.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-16 3:38 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

joval - 2008-05-16 5:09 AM
the other video cable I repaired by soldering a short run of cat 5 wire from the mother board to the lcd display (worked great...no more orange and purple horizon lines).

any more details on this!?
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2008-05-16 3:56 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

cmonex...so you want the details:

whereas you are great at tinkering with software...custom roms and all...I am good at tinkering with the hardware of many gizmo's...fortunately the 720, unlike current cellphones and ipods, is very amenable to simple mods and fixes.

you need to be able to dismantle the 720...there are how to photos on that handheld attitude site...there are a few tricks to getting the back off the lcd...but let's assume you have access to the both ends video ribbon cable and the hinged connector on the mb and lcd.

you need a continuity tester or a volt-ohm-meter...some magnification to see the individual leads coming out of the connectors...attach a needle or straight pin to your meter leads..so you have "microprobe" tips to test each connection point...be certain the cable is seated properly in each connector...no power to the mb, etc Radioshack sells a mini-screwdriver set that has a bit that fits those T-6 torque head screws under the hp/720 stickers on the lower lcd case(use a needle to get under the logo stickers and lift them off without ripping them) and on the 720 base/bottom...to get to things...use your fingernail sliding between the case halves to pry it apart at the seams...carefully...prying and sliding.

I use a radioshack vom...set it to measure resistance or continuity (it beeps when contact is good)...using your "microprobes" walk down the soldered connectors on each end of the cable...as I recall right side of MB connector corresponds to the bottom/lower end of lcd connector...intact ribbon wire leads will beep and broken leads won't...note which wire is broken.

In my case with the orange and purple horizontal screen pattern...I found one...only one broken wire...and it was the number one or first lead at the bottom of the LCD connector( just now opened the lcd case to verify...took a few seconds once you know what you're doing)...so I found a fine insulated wire from a wire cable I had...maybe smaller than a single strand of cat 5...but cat 5 would probably work, so would any fine copper enameled wire probably...I wove this thru the hinge area and soldered the ends to the soldered connector lead on the mb and lcd boards...using a cheap low wattage fine pointed solding iron with a magnifying lens or dollar store reading glasses...pre-solder the cat wire ends so they are "tinned" to keep the heat load down on the lcd and mb.

then just close that baby up...you might want to plug the power cord into the unit and attach the keyboard cable to turn it on before assembly to see if it works. This one wire fix was all it took...and...I am writing this on the very 720 that had the broken video ribbon cable.

by the by...the purple horizontal lines seem to get burned into the screen if left on for anytime in the defective mode...they leave linear shadows that will, however, fade with usage...

if you need more info or photos...let me know and I will try to follow up. Happy hunting.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 9