x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Alpha 400 another "almost HPC" netbook

[Frozen]
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
Frozen
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-03-13 8:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I just picked up a slightly used ARM RazorBook for $93 (plus $10 shipping) on eBay. Appears to have CE 5, but I'm in the process of hard resetting it because it's password-locked. Looking forward to checking out all the features.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-03-14 10:38 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

where was this razorbook, was there only one on sale?

also, is there a CE 6 version? I need a CE 6 device soon
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-03-14 2:04 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah razorbook ARM should be CE6 pro.

Thought it was only the Xburst cpu that had ce5 but I guess I must be mistaken.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-03-14 9:32 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

This one has CE 5 and an ARM 926 CPU. I ended up downloading 3K Computers' ROM image update and booting it from an SD card to update the OS image on the device and get to the CE desktop. (Still CE 5.) I've only been able to do limited testing thus far, because I've located few CE 5 apps thus far to test, and because DHCP doesn't seem to find an IP address to assign (just says 0.0.0.0 no matter how long I wait or how many times I click on "Renew" ), so I can't test the internal WiFi or the browsing speed on IE CE. Every time you power off the device, it seems to clear RAM - I don't know if that's a hard reset or if the device has a persistent registry like the Netbook Pro or the SIMpad. (I also don't particularly like the fact that it's not instant-on or instant-off.)

On the plus side, audio and video appear decent (even without GAPI), though certainly not as great as the Sig 3. Battery life also seems pretty good - I played with it for about three hours today, and it only dropped to about 60% power.

The seller I bought this one from had only the one. However, Buy.com does have some new ones on eBay for $150 with free shipping.

Edited by CE Geek 2009-03-14 9:38 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-03-15 10:25 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

- and only two days later, more problems. Now it's freezing as soon as it gets to the CE desktop, with an "illegal operation" error message referencing services.exe. I tried rebooting the updated image from the SD card, but got the same result. Wonderful. Well, I've e-mailed 3K Computers tech support and am waiting for a response.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-03-16 12:15 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

My v212 also encountered occasional freezes. The funny thing is it still retains all the information including my WiFi settings after I took out main and backup batteries. It even once asked for the driver for the CF WiFi card (of course I didn't know the name of the driver. I had to do a hard reset) after resuming from a suspend.

Edited by CAuser 2009-03-16 12:17 AM
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-03-16 3:47 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I think it is because this device does not do suspend so settings, changes and installs will be to flash memory not ram.

John
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-03-26 8:55 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Boy... am sure glad i got the linux version then.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-03-28 1:31 AM
#
H/PC Elite

My 3rd (and best) release is now available.... *pats self on back*

http://www.freeshells.ch/~wicked74/alpha400/

Cheers.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-03-28 9:58 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Your linux version looks nice! Posted from my v212.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-03-30 12:33 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Thanks
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-03-30 12:40 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2009-03-16 4:25 AM

- and only two days later, more problems. Now it's freezing as soon as it gets to the CE desktop, with an "illegal operation" error message referencing services.exe. I tried rebooting the updated image from the SD card, but got the same result. Wonderful. Well, I've e-mailed 3K Computers tech support and am waiting for a response.

did you get a reply from them?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-03-30 3:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

A tech support person e-mailed me back and said that she was notified of my tech support request, which she said was sent to the wrong place (even though I sent it where the 3K site says to send it). She apparently didn't get my full e-mail as she asked me what problem I am having with the device. So I sent her a reply describing the problem. (That was last week.) Now I'm waiting for a response from her.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-10-01 5:21 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Update: Just uploaded another update. 3MX-rc4.0 can be downloaded from here: http://www.littlelinuxlaptop.com/3mx-4-0/

Cheers.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-12-06 1:23 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Yet another updated 3MX recovery image by me. Check out http://3mx.taita.co.uk for download. And the obligatory screen shot to wet your whistle.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8