x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Alpha 400 another "almost HPC" netbook

[Frozen]
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
Frozen
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-12-06 8:27 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
RTFM--

Looks good; it made me go to the sites and read the forums/FAQ. Is it true that the abiword in this distro won't open *.doc?

Jake
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-12-06 3:32 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Thanks. That was an issue long ago. It's been fixed in this release.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-12-06 9:02 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Humm, now I'm tempted. CE 5 holds no interest for me, but a Linux edition...

Jake
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-12-06 9:13 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The nice thing with linux is you can compile dern near anything to run on it (within the units limitations). With that said my latest release has firefox2 and skipstone (based on gecko) for browsers so rendering is great, latest pidgin and bitlbee for IM, abiword, gnumeric, xchat, fbreader, bittorent clients, streamtuner, xine media player, doom and loads more. I have too much to list installed. It also plays youtube videos. See here: http://www.taitaonline.co.uk/3MX/youtube/index.html

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-12-07 12:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Under what name should I look for the cheapest razorbook? They have so many. I can't go anywhere near $100, not and stay married at the same time.

Jake
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-12-07 2:39 PM
#
H/PC Elite

These are the brands known to run my recovery image.

Belco/Bestlink/Skytone Alpha 400
Maplin minibook
CnM minibook
Trendtac EPC700
Elonex OneT
3k Razorbook (the older mips version with linux, not the newer arm version with windows CE)

And there could be more, but these are verified.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-12-07 3:42 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thanks, that list really helps. I 'bay-ed them all, most aren't available this week at least, but I found two (CnM and Elonex?) that actually come with Linux distros, which is most intriguing. With a Linux distro already installed, is it easier installing your distro as opposed to installing on a CE device?

Jake
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-12-07 4:37 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

RTFM - 2009-12-07 2:39 PM

These are the brands known to run my recovery image.

Belco/Bestlink/Skytone Alpha 400
Maplin minibook
CnM minibook
Trendtac EPC700
Elonex OneT
3k Razorbook (the older mips version with linux, not the newer arm version with windows CE)

And there could be more, but these are verified.

Cheers.

But every model is better found with linux or just only for Razorbook 400?
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2009-12-07 7:42 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

All are the same when it comes to Mipsel models, but some have more storage, 1 or 2gb of nand

I have a linux mips razorbook 400 which has 2gb, alpha 400's have only 1gb from what i understand.

Be careful on a few brands that are now offering the linux in the arm version (although, I'd like to try one), they are rare but its possible to accidentally get one, as there is no 3mx or other port & you would be stuck with the default distro or compile your own.

2 cents
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-12-07 8:35 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Jake: Yeah try finding a first or second generation unit with the MIPS processor like thcrw said. Also make sure it already has linux on it. It's needed to reflash new linux distro's because of the firmware and bootloader. It is currenty not possible to install linux on the newer CE based devices. It should be possible to bootstrap off an sd card like jlime does on the jornada's and mobile pro's, but nobody has gotten that far yet. With a unit that came with linux by default upgrading is as simple as copying the recovery (distro) file to a blank sd card and holding the F3 key down during power up to enter the recovery console.

Cheers

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-12-08 7:14 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Many thanks to the folks chipping in w/ their advice. I was not aware that there were different hd sizes, and because I did not know that you can't fully install linux on a ce machine, I probably would've bought the wrong one. I've been looking at Psion Netbook Pro with the idea of running linux, but with current RFTM distros and the knowledgeable users here, the razorbook et al seems a more logical route.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2009-12-08 7:16 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-12-09 12:16 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

RTFM--

On your distro, can a user get bluetooth/obex working? I'd like to be able to swap files with my Nokia E90. E90 has infrared, if that means anything to the Razorbook et al.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-12-09 2:33 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I was wondering if I could pick again the brains of alpha 400/razorbook/et al users and ask if any of you have found replacement batteries. I don't see them anywhere. Am I not looking in the right place?

Jake
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-12-09 6:10 PM
#
H/PC Elite

No bluetooth yet. Waiting on the kernel hackers to finish up on the 2.6 kernel. Kernel 2.4 (the default kernel) just doesn't have as many (or updated) drivers. As for batteries you might be able to contact skytone directly for replacements, or find broken units on ebay cheap.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-12-10 5:51 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Boy, the 2.6 kernel would be a wonderful addition. Can't find alpha 400 batteries even from skytone. The CnM version sells them via amazon.com/uk, but they're pricey. Like me, CE Geek is a battery hoarder. I wonder what he's doing.

Jake
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12