x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Alpha 400 another "almost HPC" netbook

[Frozen]
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
Frozen
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-11 1:13 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm a device hoarder, Jake - it ain't just about the batteries.
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-12-11 6:08 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

RTFM - 2009-12-07 8:35 PM

Jake: Yeah try finding a first or second generation unit with the MIPS processor like thcrw said. Also make sure it already has linux on it. It's needed to reflash new linux distro's because of the firmware and bootloader. It is currenty not possible to install linux on the newer CE based devices. It should be possible to bootstrap off an sd card like jlime does on the jornada's and mobile pro's, but nobody has gotten that far yet. With a unit that came with linux by default upgrading is as simple as copying the recovery (distro) file to a blank sd card and holding the F3 key down during power up to enter the recovery console.

Cheers

What model could have arm processor instead of MIPS?

Elonex OneT should have MIPS, right?
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-12-11 9:01 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Yes the Elonex OneT has a MIPS cpu. More info on this forum: http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/

Cheers.
 Top of the page
eric799 Page Icon Posted 2009-12-19 7:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I want to buy razorbook 400 w/win ce, but it is password-locked. Can I flash the rom image to unlock the password ?

Please advise.
Thanks
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2009-12-19 9:35 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

eric799 - 2009-12-19 4:26 PM

I want to buy razorbook 400 w/win ce, but it is password-locked. Can I flash the rom image to unlock the password ?

Please advise.
Thanks

I was going to bid on that one myself.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-20 2:30 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, reflashing will bypass the password. (That's what I did with my first one.)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-12-23 2:16 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
RTFM--

On your download site, there are two choices for img: 3mx4.0 and 3mx-Ultra. What are their differences?

Thanks,
Jake
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-12-23 2:24 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Ultra is the latest release that fixed a few lingering quirks from 4.0. It's the recommended version to install. Besides being smaller and faster than 4.0, ultra also has a lot of software upgrades.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-12-23 2:31 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Wow, that was a fast response--many thanks. I broke down (or at least broke my wife down) and bought an Alpha 400 Linux machine. Should be here tomorrow if Fedex and Santa are willing. So I'll install the Ultra right off.

>> With a unit that came with linux by default upgrading is as simple as copying the recovery (distro) file to a blank sd card and holding the F3 key down during power up to enter the recovery console. <<

So with the Ultra on an otherwise blank FAT32 SD drive, I just follow the commands and choose the Ultra image once I'm in "recovery console"?

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-12-23 3:21 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Okay, I finished downloading it, and the readme for installation is very clear. Wish me luck,
Jake
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2009-12-23 3:23 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

It will automatically read it and prompt if the .img is correct & you just follow the directions @ the prompt which basicly tells you to hit enter, not sure what happens if there are 2 full size images on the card, never tried.

it takes about about 5-10 mins & then reboots itself when successful.

Edited by thcrw739 2009-12-23 3:24 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-12-23 6:06 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

thcrw739--

I'm grateful for the tips. I'll just put the Ultra image on a blank card and start from there. Thanks,
Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-12-25 1:59 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Happy Holidays to folks. If anybody is reading this thread today, I would like to thank RTFM for a ungodly cool linux update. Far superior to the standard Alpha 400 Linux OS. Starting with much faster boot and progressing to a plethora of apps and mods, it's a machine-changer. Thank you, thank you.

One thing: the absence of backlight control. I've heard about this "ard's kernel" that allows backlight control. Where can I get that, and how do I install? Copy kernel to sd card, then copy over the existing kernel in the Alpha 400?

Any tips/pointers would be much appreciated, and, again, all best to everybody on Christmas Day,
Jake
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-12-25 3:36 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Glad you like it.

The backlight kernel you can get here: http://projects.kwaak.net/twiki/bin/view/Epc700/KernelBacklight/uimage
After its downloaded rename it to uImage (capital i). Then follow these instructions: http://projects.kwaak.net/twiki/bin/view/Epc700/UbootStuff (scroll down to booting the sd card way).

Make sure you make the first partition of the sd card 16mb formatted to fat16. Copy the uImage to that partition. Test the kernel by inserting the sd card, power on holding Fn+LeftShift+LeftCtrl. This will boot the kernel from sd without installing it. Test backlight with fn+f4 and fn+f5. If it boots and works then power off. Power on holding Fn+LeftShift+F1 until you see the desktop to flash the kernel to nand.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-12-25 3:41 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Ooh, I got a little ahead of myself. Before you wrote, I found that kernel, but did NOT rename it nor did I test it. Instead, I followed those instructions, used Fn+LeftShift+F1 only, and I now have backlight control. It's not as snappy a boot, as with your kernel, but everything works once I'm in the Desktop. Have I screwed up something that I'm not aware of?

Thanks for posting,
Jake
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 31