x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Cherrypal Africa - Chinese CE "netbook" actually available (?) for $99

SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2009-12-16 2:41 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

So, these guys have been on a number of news sites today:

http://www.cherrypal.com/products.php

From the looks of it, their "Africa" is another one of the Chinese CE/Linux netbooks. The difference, though, is you appear to actually be able to get this one for $99. Thinking about ordering one of these to supplement/replace my MobilePro 880, which does a less than stellar job at web browsing and instant messaging.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-16 5:07 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

What a coincidence. I just finished looking at the article on this device on WindowsForDevices right before coming back online here.

Using the same exterior over and over is getting a bit monotonous, but at least I think we can say that the H/PC form factor is finally coming back.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2009-12-16 10:30 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Not that I should be looking, but has anybody actually gotten to an order page to confirm the price (i.e., without a $50 shipping charge, etc.). When I just tried, I was shunted to a russian commerce site...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-12-16 10:33 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If anyone picks one up, I'd love read (publish) their review of it
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2009-12-16 10:49 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I actually might go for this one, if in fact it really does have 256mb of ram instead of the 64mb/128mb usually found, Also I see its available in Linux and windows ce, I would like to know if you can go from one to the other, if purchased with windows ce.

I did go to the order page yesterday & it worked, It doesnt seem to be working today, I do get the redirect.

Edited by thcrw739 2009-12-16 10:50 AM
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2009-12-17 1:13 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-12-17 1:30 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yeah, it works now. They only say Linux or WinCE but do not specify which when you order. I guess time will tell the truth.
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2009-12-17 6:35 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CAuser - 2009-12-17 10:30 AM

Yeah, it works now. They only say Linux or WinCE but do not specify which when you order. I guess time will tell the truth.

That's been my concern as well - when I clicked "Add to Cart" on their site, it adds the device, but doesn't specify Linux or CE.

I'm still leaning towards ordering one, but I'll probably wait until after Christmas to do so, as I get my next paycheck Christmas day, and my funds till then are tied up in Christmas gifts and a new driver's side to replace the rusted-out one in my VW Thing.

CE Geek - 2009-12-16 2:07 AM

What a coincidence. I just finished looking at the article on this device on WindowsForDevices right before coming back online here.

Using the same exterior over and over is getting a bit monotonous, but at least I think we can say that the H/PC form factor is finally coming back.

What bugs me is that nobody's really going into detail about exactly what software's being bundled on the Africa, either the Linux or CE version.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2009-12-17 6:46 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

My dad sends a bit of Christmas cash every year, I never know what to do with the money, I thought maybe this year one of these since its free to me basically since i don't have anything else in mind, but want to verify all the options and hardware first.

Edited by thcrw739 2009-12-17 6:54 PM
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-12-18 9:25 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

SirThoreth - 2009-12-17 6:35 PM

That's been my concern as well - when I clicked "Add to Cart" on their site, it adds the device, but doesn't specify Linux or CE.

If you sign in and procede with the order you can leave a comment and maybe specify OS type you want. But what if they make a mistake!
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2009-12-20 5:50 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Slycarter - 2009-12-18 6:25 AM

If you sign in and procede with the order you can leave a comment and maybe specify OS type you want. But what if they make a mistake!

The 30-day moneyback guarantee they advertise, I guess?
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2010-01-22 12:23 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Slycarter - 2009-12-18 6:25 AM

To follow up on this, the more I'm reading, the more it's looking particularly scam-tastic:

Wikipedia entry, on the Africa

German purchaser details the problems getting his

US purchaser details his problems

Better Business Bureau's given Cherrypal an "F" rating

Basically, the gist of it is that nobody's reported actually receiving a unit that they've ordered, numerous people have reported having their orders cancelled for one reason or another, and nobody's gotten a refund from Cherrypal itself, instead having to have their banks reverse charges on their credit cards.

In the end, I'd recommend avoiding Cherrypal. By any chance could a Mod change the subject line in my initial post to something indicating that they aren't actually available?

Edited by SirThoreth 2010-01-22 12:24 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-01-22 2:42 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Thanx for the heads-up, SirThoreth. The victim in the third link is our own Nate the great.

Thread title edited as requested. (A subtle edit, but I think it gets the point across. )
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2010-01-22 4:36 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CE Geek - 2010-01-21 11:42 PM

Thanx for the heads-up, SirThoreth. The victim in the third link is our own Nate the great.

Well, that sucks. Glad he got his money back, though.

Thread title edited as requested. (A subtle edit, but I think it gets the point across. )

Thanks. That should do the trick.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2010-01-22 8:56 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yeah, I thought something scammy was up with them, that's one reason i went with something else.

Did you happen to look and the description of the Africa, If you read the product page, they are basicly saying, we dont know what were sending you, Your buying a $99 lottery ticket, & you could get these specs or those specs.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10