x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

[Visual Style] Longhorn '5203'

1 2 3 4
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-15 5:18 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There are no other system changeable icons on CE. Unless you know something I don't?

In answer to the question, yes it was written in C, I haven't stored the masters or the source though I'm afraid. This was a one off to help you get it working.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-10-15 5:28 PM
#
You can change the icons that files are assosiated to. If you export the entire registry, copy it to a desktop pc, and search for 'Default Icon' theres nearly 50 predefined. On my 680 the Word file and similar icons look ancient.

What do you choose (MFC DLL or the other one, cant remember the name). Then do you just add resources and compile? I've done a bit of programming but never much for mobile platforms.

I also think you can change the icon for the network folder and the storage card icon - but they're not by default there - i've seen it done somewhere.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-15 5:44 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Oh I see. Sorry, was thinking too one dimensionally. I've gotten used to changing shell folder icons

No, you don't want to use a MFC, you want a blank functional DLL resource file. The key with shell resources is indexing. Be careful how you index.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2005-10-16 5:22 AM
#
How do you extract icons? I have some in .ico format already, but not the Windows ones...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-16 7:07 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

As you need to create 256 colour icons, I suggest you screen dump them
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-04-23 1:21 AM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2005-10-14 5:15 PM

v1.1.1
Has SH3, SH4, MIPS and StrongARM DLL versions.

I've been reading other people's posts about them not working. I tried them and they worked in SH3 and ARM, although control panel won't open in that way, because "InprocServer" is set to "ceshell.dll" where it should be "ctlpanel.dll". I've made some easy installing cab files, which do the registry hacks for you. just copy to device, install, soft-reset and enjoy!

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hpc icon mod.arm.cab (30KB - 15 downloads)
Attachments hpc icon mod.mips.cab (31KB - 6 downloads)
Attachments hpc icon mod.sh3.cab (30KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments hpc icon mod.sh4.cab (30KB - 4 downloads)
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2006-04-23 2:16 AM
#
H/PC Elite

There is another method to change nearly all system icons (including folders, start menu icons, etc...). You need a working copy of Ceshell.dll and Explorer.exe ( same processor and OS version as your HPC): the difficult part is to get these files ! You can either try to extract theses system files from your ROM (with Romdump, if you have an ARM processor, but in most cases system files are compressed and unusable), or compile them with Platform Builder, or try your luck with Google... Then, with any regular Windows Resource Editor ( Reshack, Restorator...), you can replace all icons and bitmaps ( warning: do not use true color icons, only 16 and 256 color icons will work). In order to replace your system files on your HPC, you may need a file manager like GSFinder+ or Total Commander.

If you have Windows Ce.net, there is an easier method with MUI files : this method is now used for the Sigmarion 3 English conversion, but you can change any resource, like icons and bitmaps.

Edited by Geared2003 2006-04-23 2:20 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-04-23 6:29 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes indeed, it's beyond the abilities of the average user, and you need to be able to create the icons.
As a footnote it is worth saying that you can actually lock up your H/PC by replacing a shell icon with a high colour / true colour version. If it's one that the system draws at boot time, that means a hard reset. So do be careful.

People also need to be aware that you cannot simply replace resource files with any "arm3" version on an arm3 device. The OEM's often customise the dll's and exe's when the images are built, meaning that there is a strong chance that you will jeopardise performance. For example, dumping the full set of shell files from a device with a touch screen onto a device without one will cause much humour, delight and hard reset fun. LOL.

matrixcore, you put my laziness to shame. Good job.
 Top of the page
Derek.HPCManiac
Derek.HPCManiac Page Icon Posted 2006-04-23 8:53 AM
#
I User Resource Hacker to edit the xpiconmod.dll icons and I added some new icons, and by number (all wrote in a paper) I'm replacing exaustly the system icons on registry
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-04-23 11:25 AM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2006-04-23 5:29 AM

Yes indeed, it's beyond the abilities of the average user, and you need to be able to create the icons.
As a footnote it is worth saying that you can actually lock up your H/PC by replacing a shell icon with a high colour / true colour version. If it's one that the system draws at boot time, that means a hard reset. So do be careful.

matrixcore, you put my laziness to shame. Good job.

I think it's safer for the end user and almost a complete overhauling to change the icons via the HKCR registry class.

C:Amie: thank you, i thought it'll be easier for end users

Derek: when you have finished adding the icons to your DLL, i'd like to have a copy so i could further improve the cabs
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-04-23 11:59 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Derek.HPCManiac, I'm not quite with you here. What are you changing over and above the defaults in my lib file?
 Top of the page
Bay_wolf
Bay_wolf Page Icon Posted 2006-04-23 7:01 PM
#
I tried to install the cab files (the ARM ones) on my HP Jornada 720 and i had the .cab on my storage card but it said it wasnt a proper setup file or something to that sort so i finally edited the registry to do it.

Regards
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 12:16 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Perhaps a more detailed explanation of how to reproduce the error and the literal transcription of the error text will help us in tackling down the specific issue and fix it.

Thanks a lot
 Top of the page
AndiF
AndiF Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 12:49 AM
#
matrixcore - 2006-04-24 6:16 AM

Perhaps a more detailed explanation of how to reproduce the error and the literal transcription of the error text will help us in tackling down the specific issue and fix it.

Thanks a lot

Don´t know how to tell it better than bay_wolf. It´s been the same error code when I tried to install
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-24 6:15 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

what it is saying on my J727 is "hpc icon etcetc. cab not a valid windows CE services setup file".

i renamed file, didn't help.

edit: of course this happens when trying to install (e.g. double clicking on the cab file)

Edited by cmonex 2006-04-24 6:16 AM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.236 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 10