x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPCs are still out there.

1 2
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-03 12:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

A quick review of eBay today shows that HPCs are still for sale. Today I saw:

Compaq 2010C, Compaq C-140, Sharp HC-4600, Casio A-21S x3, Casio A-11 x3, Phillips Velo, HP 620LX, Jornada 820 x4, Jornada 720 x5, HP 320LX x4, HP 360LX x3, HP 660LX, Jornada 680 x8, Jornada 680E, Jornada 710, Jornada 690 x2, Mobilepro 900 x2, Mobilepro 880 x2, Mobilepro 780 x3, Mobilepro 770, Mobilepro 750c, Mobilepro 200, Mobilepro 400, Ericsson MC16

May not be much action here on HPCFactor...but there is still some on eBay
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-06-03 2:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Don't talk to me about eBay
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-03 2:41 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Oh oh...did someone get cheated or something?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-06-03 3:59 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, I got turned over by a fool.

Using a wholly fabricated metaphor because I have no real desire for people to find this individual. Someone with a VHS tape purchased a Blu-ray player from me, discovered that VHS taps don't work in Blu-ray players and then proceeded to make this my fault. He's spent the last month making demands, crying, changing his mind about what his actual complaint was and the response that he wanted from me until eventually settling on me funding the full item return and paying him compensation.

He then gave this all nonsense to customer services who never asked my side of the affair and who promptly sided with this guy less than an hour after he made the complaint. eBay refunded him under buyer protection - immediately - only for me to put in my appeal as soon as eBay had generously informed the buyer that he was to send it all back to me at my expense. Once I had it back I made a video and put it online of said fictitious DVD player proving that it 100% worked and that there was no way it would or could ever work with fictitious VHS tape.

By this point I've got him spouting off legal threats, eBay making legal threats, eBay ignoring their own terms and conditions (ha) and what's their line? Rulings are final.

Once customer services read the conversation logs over private message between us and saw the video (and understood what he was pulling), funnily enough they changed their mind on their final ruling, however because they violated their own terms of service, didn't engage due diligence and THEY refunded the buyer themselves they are holding me liable for their losses over the mistaken refund. They have removed the negative feedback (I'm 100% positive), all negative account points are gone and have been transferred to the buyer. He has also be pushed up to an escalation team and will hopefully be banned. However, I now apparently have to take the financial responsibility for the whole sordid affair instead of the buyer.

The buyer ultimately returned the item (against my wishes) so should have got the item cost back. The rest of it, the shipping, eBay fees and PayPal fees is going to have to be my loss or apparently they are going to pass my details to a debt collection company. As far as I'm concerned, the buyer was a moron who wasn't big enough to admit his mistake and took it too far. eBay on the other hand should have offered mediation, should have spoken to both sides before acting and certainly shouldn't have gone through the process of complaint received, one sided outcome made, refund issued in less than an hour (11pm at night I might add). If they had done it properly, they themselves wouldn't have been out of pocket and I wouldn't be fuming.

Of course if the buyer had simply said to begin with, 'look, I've made a mistake will you take it back?' I would have said yes and refunded him on the proviso that he paid the shipping. Instead he decided to start inventing stories.

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-03 6:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Been there, suffered at eBays stupidity myself. They are quick to jump on the buyer's side without making a competent investigation. On the other hand, I was speaking with some damn service center in India where the guy could barely understand English, let alone understand the nuances of the communication and message. Eventually it was passed to a supervisor in the United States and after only one conversation with him, all was fixed.

But a person shouldn't have to jump through hoops to receive the service that should be innate with the company. On the other hand, there is really no alternative.

But in your case, look at the buyer. He is obviously a stupid person, probably has no hope of ever being intelligent (with new discoveries in gene research), and will probably have to suffer his life as it is. Even worse, he may not even realize he is stupid...and will just be another moron who gets by in life at a lesser level of achievement and satisfaction.

P.S. Back to the topic, there is also an AMD 50x15 on eBay, but you have to search for "AMD Personal Internet Communicator"
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-06-03 6:54 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You were lucky, I've had to deal with Malaysian's. The first time I was dialling a premium rate number for an hour and wasn't being understood. The second and subsequent times I found the domestic version of that number (all premium rates redirect to a real national number, thank you noto0870) and it cost me nothing, but it still took an hour.

Don't get me wrong, the Malaysians were polite and tried to be helpful, but they were script reading and didn't 'get' me. The idea of talking to someone here (or even the US for that matter!) was right out of the question.

I'm too peeved to attempt to relist. :/
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2014-06-03 10:44 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Had my first issue with eBay just last month (only been using it for a few months). Bought a box of DV tapes (domestically), after two weeks they hadn't arrived and weren't marked as dispatched. I've had no communication from the seller so far. I've opened a 'case', and I'm about to find out how useful customer support actually is on there. I wonder if it's something to do with the recent password issue.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-06-03 11:09 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That does sound unfortunate. I hope it isn't related, dv tapes seems an odd thing for someone to hijack over though. Ipad' certainly.

In my experience increasingly large numbers of people don't understand the rules and chores of eBay. You're lucky if one in five people feeds back these days. It used to be a live or die thing.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-06-04 12:21 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Back to the topic again. I notice that the starting bids seem to be rising as well, though I don't know if they're selling at those prices. It seems the sellers are starting to recognize these devices' value as collectors' items. (I hope so - I have a bunch of H/PCs in multiples, some of which I'd like to sell so I'll have room to park my car in my garage. )

You also forgot to mention the Louis Vuitton Celux Claviers currently up for bid at pretty exhorbitant prices:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Auth+Louis+Vuitton+Note+PC+Damier+CELUX+Clavier+OS+Windows+CE+Limited+Computer
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-06-04 9:30 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Perhaps we have finally stopped being quaint gadgets had have finally become niche come retro. The H/PC is like a Pac Man machine.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-04 12:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

CEGeek, those Claviers are riduculous...

I also didn't mention several Airpanels, Fujitsu tablets, and a bunch of CE based x86 tablets and thin clients.

If I'm going retro, I guess it is time to dig out my old leisure suit....
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-06-04 12:41 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
And play Leisure Suit Larry--surely, you have the game on a 1.4MB floppy somewhere Helluva terrible ebay story, Chris. I've always admired Rich's intrepid forays into the land of selling. I'll only buy; the selling seems so problematic.

Samsung released the LQ Optimus F3Q--the first new slider phone that I've seen in years. But it can't even get its own forum on xda developers, and while both Dell and T-Mobile have picked it up, it retails, sans contract, for 320+ USD. Crazy price, very unsupported. Only about 8 people know it's out there.

People might buy more physical keyboard devices if companies bothered to make a serious announcement of their presence.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-06-04 3:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Used to play LSL on my Amiga...I remember getting the gift that kept on giving...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-06-05 2:06 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Anybody really want to make Sigmarion 4? We can crowd fund it. I can financially support and make the dream come true.... like PS4 lol
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2014-06-06 12:09 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Why Sigmarion? Why not MobilePro 950?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8