x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Color Pallette for making 256-color Windows CE wallpapers

Karpour Page Icon Posted 2015-09-10 2:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I feel a bit stupid for asking this, but I couldn't really figure out an answer yet.

Being a cartoon artist, I should make some nice wallpapers for my CE devices, especially my Jornada 820 with its big screen.
What I couldn't figure out is which palette to use. I noticed that the palette can dynamically change when using RDP, but is that also the case when on the desktop or is there a fixed 256 color palette I should use?
And if there is a fixed palette, can someone supply it?

Thanks for any help!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-09-10 2:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I think it is a matter of personal perception as well as hardware.

I mean what you see, is not the same as what I see. Our eyes interpret colors differently based on the tristimulus value of the actual color displayed. A pale orange yellow interpreted by my brain might be a total yellow color in yours.

Next, you have the hardware itself. Not all LCD screens are created equal, nor are the CCFL tubes that brighten the background enough for us to see the colors. You've seen that yourself on two models of the same HPC, yet the screen is different looking.

Now add in the factor that there are many manufacturers of these old things. NEC's display is not exactly the same as Sigmarion or HP. Slight differences, even when displaying the same exact color based on mathematical color values.

Now add in other factors such as hue and saturation...and the differences become even more overwhelming.

The original 8 bit color palette was designed to satisfy the display needs of colors under the limitations of hardware and memory. You mentioned RDP, and you will see big differences there because most RDP interfaces reduce colors to the 256 color palette in order to conserve bandwidth.

And even if you draw a picture on your desktop, when you go to display it on your handheld, the DDI function will often map an RGB color onto the closest available color supported by the device.

So what I say is this: Make your background the way you want to see it on your handheld and to hell with how it looks anywhere else.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2015-09-10 5:34 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

And even if you draw a picture on your desktop, when you go to display it on your handheld, the DDI function will often map an RGB color onto the closest available color supported by the device.

That's pretty much what I'm trying to find out! Which RGB values the device can actually display.
Since most of the stuff I draw is flat colors, I'd like to avoid dithering
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-09-10 6:30 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Don't know about the Jornada...but here is a chart that has the old NEC Mobilepro RGB values...file attached....info was from the original Conduits Pocket Paint v1.0

Attachments
----------------
Attachments NEC Colors.mht (138KB - 3 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-09-12 2:31 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2015-09-12 10:15 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Oh jeez, is there *anything* that's not in the CESD? I feel embarrassed for not looking there first now!
This will come in super handy, thanks
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-09-12 11:07 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yep, good CESD, however, realize that those values from Adobe are not necessarily the color values that your HPC is capable of displaying...I mean the numerical RGB values may be the same, but that doesn't mean they will look the same on your HPC.

I know I'm splitting hairs here, but the true color value that an HPC can display is based on the hardware of the LCD coupled with the electronics of the machine dependent on the software that is running on it.

Individual chromatic bias aside, the only true way to tell colors apart is to measure them. While light is measured in wavelengths, color is actually measured in light frequency. But I guess unless you have a bunch of Paralax color sensors sitting around, you probably aren't going to be able to do that...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-09-13 7:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The H/PC display driver mechanism doesn't permit ICM configurations, therefore the colour pallet on all 8-bit devices uses the standard MS 8-bit pallet for web rendering. Colour spaces at these bit levels are very well defined for programmers Higher bit levels, absolutely, particularly within the green range of the spectrum as this is under-represented in typical 16/24-bit RGB colour definitions.

The point of the colour profile at lower bit rates is so that the OS performs the same colour substitution on all devices if it is presented with a non-standard colour. You rightly say that it can look different due to the screen controller and the pixel definition of the screen, however that is not processed by Windows, it's a physical layer abstraction that you cannot control with only 8 colour bits available. At higher bit level you can shift the colour space to try and compensate for it
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-09-13 7:47 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Like my eyes...I never could see the number in those pseudoisochromatic plates....you know they type with the green dots and you are supposed to see a number in them....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-09-14 8:29 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Like these tests? http://enchroma.com/test/instructions/ (or not for you as I recall that you have issues here)

I could never get magic eye pictures either
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-09-14 1:40 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I stared at the magic eye pictures till I was ready to pass out....never saw a thing.

And the link you just posted...yep...I'm still color deficient....
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.257 - Cached queries : 26 - Executed queries : 53