x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Just ordered a new Kindle Fire

1 2 3
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2015-11-28 1:13 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Amazon if offering these for a Black Friday special for only $35.00! Great thing is I already had a $25 gift card I had been holding onto for a couple of months. The cost to me was only $12!!! This will be a nice addition, especially since my Nexus and my other 7" tablet broke. I could not pass up a nice new tablet for $12...
I am sure y'all already know the specs, but here they are anyway.
Display-7" touchscreen, 1024 x 600 resolution at 171 ppi, SD video playback, with IPS (in-plane switching) technology and advanced polarizing filter
Size 7.5" x 4.5" x 0.4" (191 x 115 x 10.6 mm)
Weight-11.0 ounces (313 grams)
CPU & RAM- Quad-Core 1.3 GHz with 1 GB of RAM

Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2015-11-28 6:44 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Wow! $35!! Great deal! I've always wanted to use their Silk Browser.

I bought a jacket for myself yesterday at GAP as they were doing Black Friday sale. haha
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-11-28 2:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I still am loving my ASUS ME181C tablet. But I sure didn't get the deal on it you did. Nice price.

Can't believe your Nexus broke...you drop it or something?

I bought a new tablet as well at Big Lots...an Emerson 7" tablet for $29. The specs looked good, so I bought it. After I got it home and played with it a bit, I took it back to the store for a refund. What a piece of crap it was, even with the latest Android on it...so slow.

I took my old Kindle Fire and installed the N2AOS on it...that made the tablet just about perfect. If you haven't investigated it yet, go to perfectlyandroid.com and check it out.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2015-12-02 2:47 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

My wife and i have been a prime member since 2007, so we have a lot of amazon products.... For instance got the amazon echo back when they were doing a prime member early adopter deal for $99 which is really cool.

One thing i have learned, although fire tablets are decent for some games & some useful apps, their built in mail, browser, & last but not least the UI is just really really slow "Optimization problem?"... and rendering makes you cry... it either doesn't or does it so slow you give up and go to your computer or in my case for fast email/browsing session my Toshiba Chromebook 2...

Even their fire tv's are terrible.. its not the hardware, it's the software....

Don't get me wrong, I think that tablet is a fantastic deal even at the $50 normal price with amazons warranty's and extras you get with prime... but we have had the 6" the first $99 7" hdx and 8.9" hdx and even the hdx's were slow as dogs at browsing. so avoiding these new line of hd's like the plague.

Admittedly i haven't tried the fire os 5 yet, I know they did a few changes in the ui.

Perhaps i'm just spoiled by speed & stability of my other tablets i have had?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-12-02 7:52 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

That's what I found with my 7" fire...slow....but once I installed N2Os, which is simply Android 4.4.2 with no bloatware...it was near perfect except the tablet was heavy...more so than my 8" ASUS.

I know you can root a Kindle Fire and do it all for free...but the N2Os was a simple one-step plug it in to my desktop and go away for an hour and come back and find it all done...
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2015-12-03 3:58 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

You can shoot me later, but right now im rocking a iPad mini 4... trail basis.....
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-12-03 2:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Nothing wrong with an iPad...except for the costs....
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2015-12-04 12:13 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

thcrw739 - 2015-12-03 12:58 PM

You can shoot me later, but right now im rocking a iPad mini 4... trail basis.....

I use an iPad mini Retina (2). Very satisfied with the device.

I like Android smartphones alot, but when it comes to tablets, I somehow prefer iPad. It feels smoother. And yes, I used to own a Nexus 9 until very recently.

Edited by stingraze 2015-12-04 12:14 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-12-04 12:41 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

thcrw739 - 2015-12-02 7:58 PM

Are you able to get 4G on the trails?
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2015-12-04 1:47 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

That should have been trial and not trail , and I'm leaning towards agreement with what stringraze said, Android for phone, & all though crazy expensive, ios for tablet...stuff just works with out lag, fastest browsing experience on a tablet i have ever had.... and no crunchy plastic back or bezel or loose button rattle.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2015-12-05 2:35 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

We wanted the Fire for reading books, and for taking advantage of the free book checkout for Prime. We have a 7 inch Lenovo tablet for our daughter to play her games on. I hear the Fire tablets are pretty durable especially if you get the kid case. I guess we will see. My wife reads a lot of magazines, and she reads them electronically. She complained that her 10 inch tablet gets a little heavy after a while.

As for Apple? I have never had an Ipad, but I have an Iphone that I have to carry for work. I cannot stand it. Maybe I would like an Ipad, but, I don't think it would be worth the price considering the price compared to Windows and android price points...

I still have my trusty Windows Surface that I really like. It seems that I am really easy to please...
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2015-12-05 5:08 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I will probably never own an iphone as i cant see spending that much money on a phone period ever.....but as for tablets i'm digging the ipad, for laptop needs i like chromebooks...and desktop good old windows pc.

As for books the kindle ereaders hands down !
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2015-12-06 1:34 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Yoldering, which Surface do you have? I have the original RT, and like it for the most part. Outlook has stopped working, but the calendar and mail apps still work. I sometimes wish it were a little smaller (7-8 inches rather than 10.6), but other than that it's great.

Yoldering - 2015-12-05 6:35 AM

We wanted the Fire for reading books, and for taking advantage of the free book checkout for Prime. We have a 7 inch Lenovo tablet for our daughter to play her games on. I hear the Fire tablets are pretty durable especially if you get the kid case. I guess we will see. My wife reads a lot of magazines, and she reads them electronically. She complained that her 10 inch tablet gets a little heavy after a while.

As for Apple? I have never had an Ipad, but I have an Iphone that I have to carry for work. I cannot stand it. Maybe I would like an Ipad, but, I don't think it would be worth the price considering the price compared to Windows and android price points...

I still have my trusty Windows Surface that I really like. It seems that I am really easy to please...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-12-07 8:35 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

PDXMark - 2015-12-06 1:34 AM

Yoldering, which Surface do you have? I have the original RT, and like it for the most part. Outlook has stopped working, but the calendar and mail apps still work. I sometimes wish it were a little smaller (7-8 inches rather than 10.6), but other than that it's great.

Yoldering - 2015-12-05 6:35 AM

I have a v1 RT and I use it all the time for meetings and hot desking at clients. What happened to your Outlook?

I'm not all that keen on the fire, but they are doing an advertising blitz here at the moment with some strong discounting.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2015-12-07 12:21 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I have the RT. A few months ago I noticed it running little slower. I found a way to speed it up again.

On the classic Desktop, touch or right-click on COMPUTER. From the File Explorer Window ribbon or the pop-up, pick Properties. Then on the left of the next window, touch or click Advanced System Settings. On the next window, click the Advanced tab. Down under the Performance section, touch/click Settings. Now click the option, ADJUST FOR BEST PERFORMANCE. But before closing out, BE SURE TO CHECK THE OPTION Smooth Edges of Screen Fonts.

You will find with relatively little loss of appearance that you have speeded up many operations on your Surface RT tablet PC considerably.

If you don't like the result, simply return to the same Settings screen but now recheck the Let Windows Chose What's Best For My Computer.

Edited by Yoldering 2015-12-07 12:22 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11