x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Microsoft Viewers for Handheld PC

1 2 3 4 5
skyfox01_99 Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 3:58 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

After getting a bSqaure Power Handheld i was a bit disappointed at the lack of the microsoft file viewers (doc, image, pdf, etc) so I decided to do something about it. After a bit of hacking I got the PDF and image viewers to run (on the Power Handheld's wince 4.1). I then decided to see if my J720 could run them. After a bit more hacking they both ran perfectly.

I'm not sure whether it would be legal for me to post the files though... The mods are going to have to decide that.

(j720_image01.jpg)

(j720_image02.JPG)

(j720_pdf01.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments j720_image01.jpg (45KB - 19 downloads)
Attachments j720_image02.JPG (27KB - 17 downloads)
Attachments j720_pdf01.JPG (41KB - 19 downloads)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 5:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

lol how did you achieve this? can you tell me the details? for the jornada 72x..

i've sent you a PM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 6:27 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I like the 3rd picture best!! (hint: It has C code. )
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 6:31 PM
#
Snappy! - 2005-07-18 4:27 PM

I like the 3rd picture best!! (hint: It has C code. )

And I thought Hungarian notation was something only my C++ programming teacher forced us to do!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 6:40 PM
#
H/PC Elder

corporate - 2005-07-18 4:31 PM

And I thought Hungarian notation was something only my C++ programming teacher forced us to do!

Oh praised by your hsTeacher! ... (go figure out what "hs" mean! )

On Hungarian notation, or any of its variants, its actually a very good coding practise. Certainly makes code reading much much easier.

http://web.umr.edu/~cpp/common/hungarian.html

Note: In some practices, like for MS, its nMyVariable and not iMyVariable that is the common form. And even then, some groups may choose either ...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-07-18 9:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

skyfox01_99 - 2005-07-18 12:58 PM
. . . i was a bit disappointed at the lack of the microsoft file viewers (doc, image, pdf, etc) . . . I got the PDF and image viewers to run
. . .
I'm not sure whether it would be legal for me to post the files though

The question is, where did you get those viewers in the first place? I don't think they were free downloads, were they?
They just came in ROM on my CE 4.2.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 12:10 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

it isn't hard to get them... just download a ce.net (4.1 is fine too!) ROM image and get at it with the xda rom dump tool... if you're lucky it will extract everything. for example it will do it with simpad roms, skeyepad roms, but not with the netbook pro or NEC 900C
 Top of the page
skyfox01_99 Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 9:35 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I used an old copy of Platform Builder 4.2 to build a ROM image that is compatible with the Power Handheld, modded the PE headers of the various EXE/DLLs involved to look like CE 4.1 apps and copied everthing to /Windows (directory doesn't matter though). Same goes for the J720 versions but I changed the headers to look like CE 3 apps.

Generally speaking it's not always a good idea to to use dumprom to extract DLLs from rom images because of the way that Platform Builder creates the XIP sections. The DLLs may not be executable after extraction. In short it may work or it may not.

Download CE 3 Viewers
Download CE 4.1 Viewers

If anyone has any problems with those links being there I'll remove them...
 Top of the page
|--LuMeN--|
|--LuMeN--| Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 10:57 AM
#
Hi, thanks for the viewers!
and you can't extract the "Activities" utility?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 11:58 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

skyfox01_99 - 2005-07-19 3:35 PM

I used an old copy of Platform Builder 4.2 to build a ROM image that is compatible with the Power Handheld, modded the PE headers of the various EXE/DLLs involved to look like CE 4.1 apps and copied everthing to /Windows (directory doesn't matter though). Same goes for the J720 versions but I changed the headers to look like CE 3 apps.

Generally speaking it's not always a good idea to to use dumprom to extract DLLs from rom images because of the way that Platform Builder creates the XIP sections. The DLLs may not be executable after extraction. In short it may work or it may not.

Download CE 3 Viewers
Download CE 4.1 Viewers

If anyone has any problems with those links being there I'll remove them...

thanks for the link. i'm going to try it soon on a jornada 728..

even though i'm a moderator (and here in hpc2000), i don't delete your links for the moment, i think the admins should decide it. but generally they allow us to post such links. (or at least links to hacked dlls)

about the rom extract.. thanks for the information. can you help me a little with it btw? i need some dlls for ce.net 4.2. i've sent you a PM again
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 12:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

btw if you succeed with the other viewers, report the success (etc...)!
 Top of the page
skyfox01_99 Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 2:57 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

The Word and Excel viewers now work. Re-download the archives to get the updated files. I havn't managed to get the powerpoint viewer working yet...
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 3:22 PM
#
I gather these are ARM versions....is there even a MIPS version of CE.net that you could get dlls for us old folks for?
 Top of the page
skyfox01_99 Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 3:34 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

sorry... I don't have a mips device for testing.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 3:37 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

skyfox01_99 - 2005-07-19 8:57 PM

The Word and Excel viewers now work. Re-download the archives to get the updated files. I havn't managed to get the powerpoint viewer working yet...

they links now don't work. the files i downloaded are always corrupted zips..
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10