x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Workarounds for 360LX CF card battery drain?

1 2
hassilon Page Icon Posted 2023-08-03 3:19 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Using a 32MB Lexar CF card in 360LX (WinCE 2.0, SH3) really drains my NiMH batteries.
Would it make any difference if I put the card in a PCMCIA adapter? Or using an SD card in SD to CF adapter?

Is the power drain the card itself, the interface, or some piece of software doing something crazy like trying to index the card contents? (On our new machines, we hateses Spotlight, Baloo, etc.!)

I'm currently using a tray application called "status" to monitor the battery. It seems to only read in units of 33 percent: 33, 66, 99. Is there a better tray battery monitor?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-08-03 6:11 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
NiMH seems a little too retro. Why not try eneloop rechargeables or Tenavolts (for expensive, but serious power)? But I don't think you can recharge them in the actual machine--then again, you'll be recharging a lot less.

Jake
 Top of the page
hassilon Page Icon Posted 2023-08-03 8:18 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Maybe I'm getting a little bit too retro; I didn't know there were Lithium rechargables that are AA.

Are these Tenavolts the real deal? I don't like the look of the advertised discharge curve: it just instantly drops from 1.5 to 0. I'm guessing there's a teeny-weeny regulator in the battery converting ~3.7 to 1.5 and the voltage hits zero as soon as the regulator can't manage to output 1.5V anymore. Hmm maybe you don't need to worry since there's a backup coin cell in the 360LX. How much time does that little coin cell buy you?

Err, I thought "Eneloop" was just a brand of NiMH battery. A pricey well-respected brand, but probably not really much better than bog standard "Amazon Basics" NiMH. I dunno who has the monopoly on the best sweatshops in China these days....
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-08-03 8:35 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I have never owned a AA device but,

Eneloops are really high quality, I can assure you, even when not taking account that I'm from Japan.
You should really try it out.

There is also Eneloop pro, which I never tried but seems good.

-stingraze
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-08-03 9:52 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Eneloops are far better than anything Amazon puts out (though I use A's Basics for less hungry devices). And Tenavolts are in a class by themselves; I run an Omnibook 425 laptop on four of them for hours, even with peripherals.

Jake
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-08-04 12:23 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I checked the official site of Tenavolt, and I was impressed. The output curve is a straight line!

I can’t seem to find it here in Japan, I guess not too many people know about it here?
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2023-08-04 2:02 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Don't worry. The backup battery holds the memory for some days (weeks).

I would worry more about the damage to the battery compartment cover. It is not made to open it regularly to change the batteries.

Especially when using it with modern AAs which are slightly bigger (thicker and longer) than the ones from the nineties (to have some more capacity to advertize).

I use my 360 with modern VARTA NiMH-cells with only 700mAh capacity (they use them for outdoor solar garden lights today, which have a similiar low current scenario). This is more 90ies like when that capacity value was usual (or 450mAh like in the 70ies).

You will never get these modern >2000mAh sinter cells charged with the internal charger, which provides a back then fitting I10 of 45mA max.

So you have to open the compartment every week or so and to fiddle it on again. Look for yourself at these little holder and tabs on the left and right end...

Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2023-08-04 2:02 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I would worry more about the damage to the battery compartment cover. It is not made to open it regularly to change the batteries.

Especially when using it with modern AAs which are slightly bigger (thicker and longer) than the ones from the nineties (to have some more capacity to advertize).

I use my 360 with modern VARTA NiMH-cells with only 700mAh capacity (they use them for outdoor solar garden lights today, which have a similiar low current scenario). This is more 90ies like when that capacity value was usual (or 450mAh like in the 70ies).

You will never get these modern >2000mAh sinter cells charged with the internal charger, which provides a back then fitting I10 of 45mA max.

So you have to open the compartment every week or so and to fiddle it on again. Look for yourself at these little holder and tabs on the left and right end...

Top of the page
hassilon Page Icon Posted 2023-08-04 2:51 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Yeah, I noticed that the battery compartment is not easy to open and that friggin' new 2000mah NiMH batteries are slightly too big. I had a feeling the 360 was going to present some interesting power problems...but really this thing is making me admire the DOS AA palmtops (95, 100, 200). Too bad its crazy-expensive to buy one that isn't broken.
 Top of the page
archival36 Page Icon Posted 2023-08-04 3:21 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

dl1av - 2023-08-04 2:02 PM

I use this every since I got back using my HP360 LX last year. It's an NiMH with 2450mAh. It's an Ikea NiMH rechargeable battery, and it last a couple of weeks for me if I don't use the PCMCIA (PC card slot 1) and PocketDOS.

Edited by archival36 2023-08-04 3:24 PM
 Top of the page
dl1av Page Icon Posted 2023-08-04 8:55 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

But do you charge these ladda-cells without removing them? It takes some days to get them full. The HP200 takes around 55mA when switched off and the 360 delivers only slightly more to the charging loop.
You may charge these cells over time but it seems not to be healthy for them. Or for the 360 which newer suspends when connected to external power. It keeps staying on and the onoff-switch is out of function.

-stefan
 Top of the page
hassilon Page Icon Posted 2023-08-06 2:08 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Don't know if this works for other batteries, but AA "2000 mah" Amazon Basics can easily fit in the 360LX if you peel off the pretty green and black label. If you do not remove the label, the battery covered by part of the case will get stuck. I'm gonna charge outside the 360LX; I don't like the heat that is produced when the batteries are charging and as pointed out above it will probably take days (2000 mah/ 50ma = 40 hours! and 50 mah charging current is best case) to get a full charge.

(btw, I enclose the battery capacity in quotes because I suspect it is BS for a lot of batteries; I mean, its hard for users to precisely test and exaggerating--within reason, say 10 or 20 percent--sells more batteries.)
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2023-08-07 4:37 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

archival36 - 2023-08-04 10:21 AM

dl1av - 2023-08-04 2:02 PM

I use this every since I got back using my HP360 LX last year. It's an NiMH with 2450mAh. It's an Ikea NiMH rechargeable battery, and it last a couple of weeks for me if I don't use the PCMCIA (PC card slot 1) and PocketDOS.

Good choice, LADDA batteries are actually just rebranded Eneloops! Can save some money by getting them from Ikea
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-08-07 5:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Strange, this issue with girth. I use Eneloops (@Karpour thanks for the LADDA tip) in a Sharp Mobilon 4100, Casio A-22, and a HP 200LX, and they accommodate a wider battery without problem. Perhaps the 360LX has a narrower slot to ensure proper contacts for in-machine charging.

Jake
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-08-08 7:11 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Karpour - 2023-08-08 1:37 AM

Good choice, LADDA batteries are actually just rebranded Eneloops! Can save some money by getting them from Ikea

Oh wow, interesting. I never seen LADDA batteries here in Japan, but I guess I have to go to a Ikea store to see it, lol!

-stingraze
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9