x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Connect Jornada 720 to Web / Aironet 350

funkykeys Page Icon Posted 2023-10-17 3:36 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

I just joined HPCF and just got an old Jornada 720 that works great, as well as an Aironet 350. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to connect to the Web. I'm a Web application developer and aware of the incompatibility of current SSL... just want to get it connected for novelty sake.

Do I make a dial-up connection, and if so, is there some sort of char string I put in the local number and choose "Force local", or something similar? Also, when making a new dial-up under Remote Networking, my card isn't listed (have the latest 5.60.21 firmware and latest ACU installed, so I'm guessing I choose Hayes on COM 1? The device sees my router, which I have connected as a Guest and open connection. Signal strength is 100%, but current IP address is 0.0.0.0.

Any help on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott
 Top of the page
archival36 Page Icon Posted 2023-10-17 7:12 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

funkykeys - 2023-10-17 3:36 PM

Hi,

I just joined HPCF and just got an old Jornada 720 that works great, as well as an Aironet 350. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to connect to the Web. I'm a Web application developer and aware of the incompatibility of current SSL... just want to get it connected for novelty sake.

Do I make a dial-up connection, and if so, is there some sort of char string I put in the local number and choose "Force local", or something similar? Also, when making a new dial-up under Remote Networking, my card isn't listed (have the latest 5.60.21 firmware and latest ACU installed, so I'm guessing I choose Hayes on COM 1? The device sees my router, which I have connected as a Guest and open connection. Signal strength is 100%, but current IP address is 0.0.0.0.

Any help on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott

Hi funkykeys,

I also got an old Jornada 720 and I have the Aironet 340, I have the same issue even if I change my IP address using NetProfile and I use vxUtil.

I have an old Apple Airport Extreme WiFi that I connect to using WEP. I even tried with no security both AP and the Aironet 340. And the last thing I did was update the firmware using Cisco's firmware(see attached files to save you time and trouble). Also I have tried that firmware version you updated with, which made my card unusable where all the LED lights are sometimes all off and sometimes all blinking fast when used/inserted in my J720 and laptop.

I think our cards are broken.. I even tried it on my old Sony Vaio TR with PCMCIA, no go. But do try and update tour firmware version. And see which of these firmware worked for you.

I also know that my Aironet WEP 340 does not support WEP.

Edited by archival36 2023-10-17 8:05 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-10-17 8:59 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No, you don't use dial-up networking for WiFi, once the card is in, assuming it doesn't ask for a driver name, you should assume that DHCP won't work and assign a static IP address via network in the control panel.

You will need to have a WEP 128-bit WAP to get a connection though.

@archival36, please don't attach files to the board that are in the download centre. It is a waste of disk space

350-340-PCMCIA-LMC-PCI-v52017.exe - https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/2975/Aironet_340/350_Firmware/version_5.20.17

340-PCMCIA-LMC-PCI-v42530.exe - https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/2980/Aironet_340_Firmware/version_4.25.30

Cheers
 Top of the page
archival36 Page Icon Posted 2023-10-17 11:40 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

C:Amie - 2023-10-17 8:59 PM

@archival36, please don't attach files to the board that are in the download centre. It is a waste of disk space

350-340-PCMCIA-LMC-PCI-v52017.exe - https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/2975/Aironet_340/350_Firmware/version_5.20.17

340-PCMCIA-LMC-PCI-v42530.exe - https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/2980/Aironet_340_Firmware/version_4.25.30

Cheers

Apologies, it didn't occur to me to search SCL first, I’ll do it next time.
 Top of the page
funkykeys Page Icon Posted 2023-10-18 12:42 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Setting a static IP did it!! As a note, an access point isn't required if your router has a guest account, which segregates your connection to online only without access to the LAN. Since opening your router connection is a bad idea, using a guest option (my Netgear N750 has this, but I'm sure other routers do as well) with SSID broadcast set to off is all you need. Just plug-in your SSID in ACU and you're golden.

BTW, I was one of the original Velo 1 tech support agents back in '97. I was HUGE into HPCs in the late 90's up to mid 00's. If any of you can relate to being 53-ish and finding joy going back to the sh*t you used to tinker with in your 20's that's literally 1/8000th the power of your iPhone, that's what the 720 is to me.

Cheers, and thanks for the quick replies!

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-10-18 7:30 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Something changed in modern DHCP to break old CE compatibility.

You can use a secondary SSID, but the point is the same you either need WEP128 support or you have to run it 'open',which lets anyone use your net connection to mischief if you forget to turn it off.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10