x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

bUseful license codes?

funkykeys Page Icon Posted 2023-11-02 6:53 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

I sent an e-mail to BSQUARE regarding obtaining license codes for any of their "b" utilities from 20 years ago and received this reply:

Hello Scott!

I’m sad to report that these licenses are long gone from any archive we may have had, and nobody connected with those projects are still working at Bsquare.

We’ve gotten this question a couple of times recently and truly wish we could help.

Best of luck in your search for a solution,
Sarah
--
Sarah Maher
Account Coordinator
sarahm@bsquare.com
bsquare.com

That said, it's clear that this software is now officially public domain. Does anyone have license codes for their software that's compatible with HPC 2000 / ARM? I still have my old bUseful 2.0 on a CD, but the license I bought long ago disappeared with their employees, I suppose.

Thanks,
Scott
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2023-11-03 3:31 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'd been wondering about that since Matthew Ingals of bSquare replied to my e-mail almost a year and a half ago, when he said he'd look into whether anyone there still had the registration keys. Now we know.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2023-11-03 5:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I actually have them on original floppy disk…but only for MIPS/ SH3/SH4. Probably an older version…
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-11-03 7:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

funkykeys - 2023-11-02 11:53 AM

I sent an e-mail to BSQUARE regarding obtaining license codes for any of their "b" utilities from 20 years ago and received this reply:

Hello Scott!

I’m sad to report that these licenses are long gone from any archive we may have had, and nobody connected with those projects are still working at Bsquare.

We’ve gotten this question a couple of times recently and truly wish we could help.

Best of luck in your search for a solution,
Sarah
--
Sarah Maher
Account Coordinator
sarahm@bsquare.com
bsquare.com

That said, it's clear that this software is now officially public domain. Does anyone have license codes for their software that's compatible with HPC 2000 / ARM? I still have my old bUseful 2.0 on a CD, but the license I bought long ago disappeared with their employees, I suppose.

Thanks,
Scott

Can we get confirmation we can release the codes ?
And/or explicit confirmation they're public domain?
Perhaps they'd consent to the HPC:Factor exemptionware license so we can release the codes if they're found?

https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/exemptionware/
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2023-11-04 7:02 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Those older versions could still, er, bUSEFUL, Rich.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-11-04 1:04 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

@Rich Hawley feel free to drop them in the SCL if we don't have them already!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2023-11-05 2:40 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Wonder if there's any point in e-mailing Matthew again to ask if we can release the codes if someone else has them.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-11-05 5:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yes if someone can do that (and forward to C:Amie to keep on file) let us know and I’ll work on scavenging what I can find.
 Top of the page
funkykeys Page Icon Posted 2023-11-10 3:22 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Thanks, guys! I believe that reply from Sarah is as official as it comes that bSquare no longer has any right, title or interest in the software their former company created.
 Top of the page
funkykeys Page Icon Posted 2023-11-10 3:35 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Where would I be able to find these codes if someone shares them? Thanks again!
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-11-10 3:35 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

funkykeys - 2023-11-09 7:22 PM

Thanks, guys! I believe that reply from Sarah is as official as it comes that bSquare no longer has any right, title or interest in the software their former company created.

Think you should reread Sarah's email.

She does NOT say that they no longer have any right, title, or interest in the old apps.

Sarah does say that no one that developed the apps is with the company anymore. That's a totally different statement.

Best,

Mark
 Top of the page
funkykeys Page Icon Posted 2023-11-18 3:24 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

ArchiMark - 2023-11-09 10:35 PM

She does NOT say that they no longer have any right, title, or interest in the old apps.

Sarah does say that no one that developed the apps is with the company anymore. That's a totally different statement.

Best,

Mark

Mark--you're missing the point.

Let's be logical here. I understand the apprehension of sharing codes to anyone's software, but what exactly is the fear here and is it logically warranted? This is where one should be more reasonable than literal.

BSQUARE gave me an official reply that clearly stated the company no longer has anyone actively marketing or supporting their software that was made over 2 decades ago on a platform that is now officially 100% dead. No, she didn't say those exact words, but come on--what is anyone getting from "I’m sad to report that these licenses are long gone from any archive we may have had, and nobody connected with those projects are still working at Bsquare." that in any way suggests they have even .000000000001% interest in this inquiry?

I'm a software developer of 25 years. Being overprotective of software piracy is important, but being overprotective when there's a clear data point that this is dead to them is ridiculous and unnecessary. And what exactly are they going to do--use their legal resources at $1,000 / hour and sue HPC Factor?

If someone has these codes, they should post them to the community so people can enjoy them. If I had them, I'd do the same.

I will call BSQUARE Monday and get this resolved if someone can please reply and let me know you have license codes, and if the titles are compatible with HPC 2000 ARM.

Thanks.

Edited by funkykeys 2023-11-18 3:40 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-12-02 5:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

funkykeys - 2023-11-18 8:24 AM

ArchiMark - 2023-11-09 10:35 PM

Best,

Mark

I will call BSQUARE Monday and get this resolved

I tried emailing [to the email you listed] on the 18th of November for further clarification but haven’t heard back. I’ll maybe wait until after the holidays and try again in January.
I’ll keep the post updated if I hear anything.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 9