x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Connecting the device via IR?

1 2
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 4:01 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

The device I'm using is a TV box running CE 5. It has an infrared port for use with a remote, which works fine, it just works like a keyboard. Is there any way I could use said port to send/receive data from a host computer? ActiveSync is not part of the image, and there's no "PC Connection" control panel applet, so I would have to manually extract that from PC if that were to help at all

Any ideas perhaps?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 4:21 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I did some searching.

For info on potentially adding ActiveSync to other devices that don't have it, I found these threads:
https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5887&posts=6
https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12855&start=1

For simply transfering files via IrDA, could you not use Total Commander and copy them back and forth that way? (obviously that's not transfering via ActiveSync though)

Also, you haven't mentioned what CPU architecture your box is, that can be helpful for trying to assist when you ask for help

Also could you tell us the make/model too? Maybe there's a package for your exact device or something similar chipset

Edited by torch 2024-02-21 4:22 PM
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 5:12 PM
#
H/PC Elite

torch - 2024-02-21 4:21 PM

For simply transfering files via IrDA, could you not use Total Commander and copy them back and forth that way? (obviously that's not transfering via ActiveSync though)
Also, you haven't mentioned what CPU architecture your box is, that can be helpful for trying to assist when you ask for help

I was wondering if data transfer is even possible - from the device itself it just looks like another HID device, I'm not sure how I would make it see it as a data transfer-capable IR device It uses an x86 CPU!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 6:09 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Can you try dissecting these cabs? They were USB irda drivers for x86 CE 5.0 Maybe they can help?

If i recall correctly some have an IrDA utility

https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/details.asp?r={B6286A96-9CDF-4BB8-97BC-39FBE1C4174C}&highlight=MCS7780_WinCE.zip
https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/details.asp?r={9784C3E6-300D-446F-9E14-0B66D5D11076}

If the cabs don't install, use this to extract the cab on desktop windows

https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/2052/Unknown_or_not_specified/MSCEInf/version_2.6
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 6:19 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I tried IR to try connecting my units to my computers and i couldnt get it to work. I have the unit still and i have a XP computer im working on building (kinda waiting for parts and twiddling my thumbs).
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 6:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

WallyB110 - 2024-02-21 11:19 AM

I tried IR to try connecting my units to my computers and i couldnt get it to work. I have the unit still and i have a XP computer im working on building (kinda waiting for parts and twiddling my thumbs).

1-try this guide https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200121/guide_to_synchronising_windows_ce_over_infrared
2-do you have the drivers for XP installed?
3-what is the brand/model number of your IRDA device?
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 6:51 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Lemmi try finding it. I am still waiting on parts for the XP computer, so it may work with the XP machine. But i tried Windows 7/8/10/11 and different versions of Mac OS and had zero luck. It may work perfectly with an XP machine ? I have no idea. Ill dig up the unit i have and let ya know once the parts im waiting on for the XP computer come this week. :-)

I got MANY projects all going on haha.
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 7:32 PM
#
H/PC Elite

torch - 2024-02-21 6:09 PM

Can you try dissecting these cabs? They were USB irda drivers for x86 CE 5.0 Maybe they can help?

If i recall correctly some have an IrDA utility

https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/details.asp?r={B6286A96-9CDF-4BB8-97BC-39FBE1C4174C}&highlight=MCS7780_WinCE.zip
https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/details.asp?r={9784C3E6-300D-446F-9E14-0B66D5D11076}

If the cabs don't install, use this to extract the cab on desktop windows

https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/2052/Unknown_or_not_specified/MSCEInf/version_2.6

The MosChip is actually device I'm using on my host PC I wish I could duplicate the device
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 7:32 PM
#
H/PC Elite

WallyB110 - 2024-02-21 6:19 PM

I feel like this is a separate topic, do you think you could make a separate thread?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 7:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I dunk for bananas - 2024-02-21 12:32 PM

The MosChip is actually device I'm using on my host PC I wish I could duplicate the device

But I mean, can you try extracting those cabs? I think there's some kind of IrDA utility that may assist you.

Or:

are you able to find out the specs of the chipset for the IrDA internal device?

Like, boot a USB Linux distro, and let us know from there what the chipset is, and we can see if there's a driver for CE

Does that make sense?

I dunk for bananas - 2024-02-21 12:32 PM

WallyB110 - 2024-02-21 6:19 PM

I feel like this is a separate topic, do you think you could make a separate thread?

Maybe we can have a moderator split the thread, and I'll continue the discussion for WallB110 elsewhere (I had some more thoughts ideas on that separate topic)

Edited by torch 2024-02-21 7:44 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 8:10 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If the IR port is acting as a keyboard input device then either it is wired in directly as a human interface device, in which case that identity will be part of the chip on its USB controller and you are not going to be able to change it.

If however it is a serial FIR port and there is a driver DLL performing the conversion into ASCII, then in theory, you might be able to change the driver to re-use the COM port with ActiveSync. You are going to have to look through the HKLM driver sections and look at the device COM port availability to ascertain what my be what. If it is a standard serial port then in theory you could take the registry and (if needed) driver from another CE device, import it and is might work.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 8:26 PM
#
H/PC Elite

^ You can shoot me PM's if ya want ;-)

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 8:39 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

WallyB110 - 2024-02-21 11:51 AM

Lemmi try finding it. I am still waiting on parts for the XP computer, so it may work with the XP machine. But i tried Windows 7/8/10/11 and different versions of Mac OS and had zero luck. It may work perfectly with an XP machine ? I have no idea. Ill dig up the unit i have and let ya know once the parts im waiting on for the XP computer come this week. :-)

I got MANY projects all going on haha.

Can you let us know the chipset of the IrDA device?

On Windows 10/11 IrDA works when I do this:
Although quite lightweight, the IrDA subsystem in Windows is now an optional component as 99% of users will not require it. To enable it, so that you can develop with InTheHand.Net.IrDA, or to use the built-in file transfer functionality, you'll need to follow these steps:-

Open Settings
Open Apps
Select "Optional features"
Select "+ Add a feature"
Select the checkbox next to "IrDA Infrared"
Click "Install"
These steps are almost identical for Windows 11, although some of the screens will look different.

Once you install this feature, and you have a supported IrDA adapter, the OS will automatically handling incoming Object Push requests. It will pop up a dialog to save an incoming file. If you want to use the ObexListener instead you must stop the "irmon" Windows Service. This can be done either through the administration tools in Windows or programmatically using ServiceManager, but the latter requires your app to run with administrative permissions (showing a UAC prompt).
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 9:12 PM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2024-02-21 8:10 PM

If the IR port is acting as a keyboard input device then either it is wired in directly as a human interface device, in which case that identity will be part of the chip on its USB controller and you are not going to be able to change it.

If however it is a serial FIR port and there is a driver DLL performing the conversion into ASCII, then in theory, you might be able to change the driver to re-use the COM port with ActiveSync. You are going to have to look through the HKLM driver sections and look at the device COM port availability to ascertain what my be what. If it is a standard serial port then in theory you could take the registry and (if needed) driver from another CE device, import it and is might work.

I'm still looking right now, so far I've found this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Printers\Ports] "Port4"="NET0:" "Port3"="IRDA" "Port2"="COM1: 57600" "Port1"="COM1: 9600"

Edit: Could this be it?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ExtModems\HayesCompat] "FriendlyName"=mui_sz:"unimodem.dll,#9001" "DeviceType"=dword:00000001 "Port"="COM1:"

Edited by I dunk for bananas 2024-02-21 9:13 PM
 Top of the page
I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 9:23 PM
#
H/PC Elite

In regards of USB drivers, apart from the usual mouse and keyboard drivers I found this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\ClientDrivers\EdgePort] "Don'tGetEpicDescriptor"=dword:00000000 "ComMappingBasedOnUsbPort"=dword:00000001 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\ClientDrivers\EdgePort\NoPath] "ComSetup"="COM4,COM5" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\LoadClients\5640\Default\Default\EdgePort] "DLL"="EDGESER.DLL"

This appears to be a driver for a serial-to-usb adapter. Perhaps this is how the IrDa port is implemented?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8