x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I've solved a strange wceload bug

I dunk for bananas Page Icon Posted 2024-04-19 4:02 PM
#
Avatar image of I dunk for bananas
H/PC Elite

For the longest time I've been plagued by a strange bug on my CE 5 x86 German-language device: When installing specific .cab files, sometimes, the typical "folder select" common dialogue would very briefly appear, and then immediately closed again, followed by an error message that the program had not successfully been installed. I've finally figured out what causes this.

Some installers are hardcoded to look for the directory "\Program Files" - which does not exist on German-language CE devices. Instead, those have "\Programme". I've managed to fix the issue by just creating a new "\Program Files" directory. Even though I'm not planning to install anything in that specific folder anyway, I can now run most .cab installers without issues.

I hope this helps in case anyway with a non-english language CE device has been struggling with the same problem!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-04-19 4:31 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Great work, well done

Ironic that I actually helped someone fix just that problem on Windows 11 a few weeks ago
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2024-04-19 4:54 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Good find
 Top of the page
FBustamante Page Icon Posted 2024-04-20 7:47 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Junior)

Thank you! I'll make a note of it.
 Top of the page