x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Can a USB flash drive work on a Jornada 820?

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 7:26 PM
#
H/PC Elder

If the cardreader fits into the 820 I want one!

What's all this about math? You guys went over my head with that. I'm a 1 + 1 = whatever I decide kinda guy
 Top of the page
Silentium_Socius Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 11:31 PM
#
Avatar image of Silentium_Socius
H/PC Newbie

Glad for all the imput! Even the math bits..

Well, like said, dialup is a problem and I have no cords that would normally come with the 820 and no infrared. So, if I do have to purchase something to get this file into the computer, what would be the cheapest/easiest way to do this. I do have access to a pc that has dsl. I leave to travel overseas in about 2 weeks and I'd love to get this working before I leave.

Thanks All,
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-22 11:51 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'd advise buying the cheapest multiflash-card reader you can find. Make sure it supports CF types I & II (for the future). I've seen them as low as $10 in various stores.

The presumes you have usb on your laptop/desktop to connect the card reader.

Once the reader is connected copying the .cab file to your CF card is a breeze. Hmm, this also presumes you have a CF card for your 820. Do you? It's pretty much a necessity to make the most of your 820. It doesn't have to be a huge card, I make do with 64mb cards in some of my hpcs.

Once you get your 820 going and you feel comfortable with it you will wonder how you ever did without a hpc.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-23 4:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2006-01-22 2:51 PM

C:Amie - 2006-01-22 8:54 PM

cmonex - 2006-01-22 12:55 PM
so nothing is impossible
How qabout the square root of 1 equaling 7?

i could argue about that in several ways

one is that mathematics is more complex than most people would think (what about sqrt -1 for example?)

another is that this statement is just pure math, nothing to do with life & possibility & impossibility

and so on

There could be a parallel universe where the square root of 1 is 7. (Maybe H/PCs are still in production there.) I do recall from high school that there is mathematical applicability of the square root of -1. (For example, my employer uses it to calculate my salary.)
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-04-25 6:26 PM
#
cmonex - 2006-01-22 2:51 PM
one is that mathematics is more complex than most people would think (what about sqrt -1 for example?)

CE Geek - 2006-01-22 10:22 AM
There could be a parallel universe where the square root of 1 is 7. (Maybe H/PCs are still in production there.) I do recall from high school that there is mathematical applicability of the square root of -1. (For example, my employer uses it to calculate my salary.)

Waiting for my new Jornada 820 I have come across this old thread. I do not want to seem pedantic, but the topic is too interesting to avoid writing something about this.
Reader, be warned

You do NOT need to have a parallel universe to have that the square root of 1 is equal to 7.

You just (well, just! ) need to invent a mathematical system where, given some basic hypotheses, you deduct that the square root of 1 is 7. Or, in principle, you could also state that one of the basic hypotheses is exactly that the square root of 1 be 7.
The fundamental need is that, given the hypotheses, you can build a logic mathematical system, without any contradiction.

This is exactly what has happened in geometry in the XVIII century, when it was discovered that it was possible to "build" different geometries by changing the postulate about the parallel lines on which "standard" euclidean geometry is based.

By the way: the square root of -1 is "i", the imaginary unit, at the basis of complex numbers. These are written as 'x + i y' (for example 2 + 3 i), where x is the real part and y is the imaginary part. An ordinary number is just a complex number with a null imaginary part.

Edit: fixed wrong quotations

Edited by BrianD 2006-04-25 6:55 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-04-25 6:32 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I knew that - but it's been 30 years since I studied that in high school.

(How'd you manage to reverse the quotes? The one attributed to cmonex was mine, and vice versa. )
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-04-25 6:46 PM
#
CE Geek - 2006-04-25 12:32 AM

I didn't want to act as a teacher. Simply it has been a very boring and complicated day and I wanted to deal with something brighter and more interesting than what I had done for the whole day...

(How'd you manage to reverse the quotes? The one attributed to cmonex was mine, and vice versa. )

Ooops, sorry, just bad copy and paste...

Edit: it is fixed, now.

Edited by BrianD 2006-04-25 6:56 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-25 6:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

okay i learnt this not 30 years ago. just a couple of years ago
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-04-25 7:26 PM
#
I do not know why, but I knew you couldn't be so OLD!
Or, better, I knew you couldn't be as old as ME!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-25 9:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

BrianD - 2006-04-26 1:26 AM

I do not know why, but I knew you couldn't be so OLD!
Or, better, I knew you couldn't be as old as ME!

lol.. why, are you that old?
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-04-25 10:11 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2006-04-25 6:32 PM

It's been half that for me. ;+)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-04-26 2:16 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Geez, this site is full of young whippersnappers. The user survey said I'm in the biggest age group percentage-wise. Where are all the other old geezers?
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2006-04-26 6:54 AM
#
CE Geek - 2006-04-25 8:16 AM
Geez, this site is full of young whippersnappers. The user survey said I'm in the biggest age group percentage-wise. Where are all the other old geezers?

One is here

Well, OLD is way too much. I prefer in the largest age group, like you
 Top of the page
johnfowles Page Icon Posted 2011-09-27 8:31 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

CE Geek - 2006-04-25 9:16 PM

Present and correct (vintage 1941)
and replying in 2011 to this five year old thread
The clikusb (not USB clik BTW) driver is marvelous . With it I can use my 820's USB port in a meaningful way reading all sorts of media cards and thumbdrives up to 32GB also a 640GB Western Digital USB External drive
that all of my regular PCs are determined to get me to reformat. I am trying to finish a tutorial as finding the clikusb driver is not too easy. This posting is a holding one to inform anybody else who finds this thread. You can contact me at my Jornada 820 YaBloodyHoo group at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/JORNADA820/
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-09-27 9:58 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Thanks for registering to drag up a 5 year old thread - which incidentally is against the board rules - and advertising yourself it it

For reference for anyone else, the drivers are in the HCL and download centre, always have been, you don't need to register anywhere else.

Thread locked
 Top of the page
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 11