x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Questions about Jornada 680E

Tomb Page Icon Posted 2005-04-08 11:33 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I tried that already.

Comes awake without the WiFi card in.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
Tomb Page Icon Posted 2005-04-08 11:41 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I already tried it with and without the WiFi card. Still wakes up without attention.

Think might be lonely? Needs some company?

That'll really tick off my favorite gal

Thanks.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-09 7:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Tomb - 2005-04-08 9:41 PM

I already tried it with and without the WiFi card. Still wakes up without attention.

Thanks.

... yes, it will still wake up at midnight ... lonesome HPC code? ... its some checking scheduled by the system.

So, in your case, after it comes on, it does not go back to sleep?
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-04-10 10:47 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Snappy! - 2005-04-09 6:29 PM

Tomb - 2005-04-08 9:41 PM

Thanks.

... yes, it will still wake up at midnight ... lonesome HPC code? ... its some checking scheduled by the system.

So, in your case, after it comes on, it does not go back to sleep?

Maybe I dreamt it; but mine woke me up at 12:00AM last night for no good reason also. I did not have the patience to see if it went back to sleep though.
 Top of the page
richardl1@yahoo.com
richardl1@yahoo.com Page Icon Posted 2005-04-10 11:52 PM
#
I found a fine wireless pc card for my new Jornada 680e on ebay. it was about 45.00 and it arrived in two days. It is an ENTERASYS NETWORKS WIRELESS CARD. The documentation calls the card a Roamabout.

It is possible that the address of the seller is seller@aol.com, but don't count on it unless you check it out. I don't have my facts really straight.

iT CAME WITH A HOME MADE DRIVER DISK AND simple installation instructions. I installed the drive via activesync and it took off in good order. It included an antenna which is claimed to improve reception 3 times. It does help. I have been having lots of fun with it.

I could not get yahoo mail to log on even tho I could get yahoo. so, I checked around and found that the windows ce program lacked ssl security. I went to the windows ce page in the internet and downloaded a ssl patch, and then uploaded it. It worked. Now I can log onto yahoo mail, read it, compose it and send it, etc. Its not perfect --- im still having trouble with yahoo briefcase upload. but, things are going well. The wireless card also enabled me to connect with avantgo, something activesync would not do for me.

Whenever you install something new to your Jornada, remember to do a soft reset to make it activate.
 Top of the page
brendanrichard
brendanrichard Page Icon Posted 2005-04-13 11:58 PM
#
Thats funny, I think ive got the same wireless card, its a Enterasys roamabout card which i got on ebay, except it doesnt have an antenna. I installed the CE2.11 drivers for the Jornada 680e, and put the card in , and the power light goes on, but i cant get it to connect to the internet, I guess ill have to fidle with the settings a little more.
 Top of the page
jgoesneto Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 9:57 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

This is just a "thank you" message to all members of this forum. Reading this forum messages and other contents on the hpc website I made the decision to buy one of these Jornadas 680e in sale, buy a XJEM3336 modem, a cisco 340 Aironet wireless card, install a bunch of useful software, and now I feel like I have a new sublaptop.

If I can bring a question, has anyone tried to share/access windows network folders
using these Jornadas?

Thank you all for your expertise.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 10:44 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

See the network connections area, 2/3 down in the right hand column; should get you started:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/
 Top of the page
fpilgreen@yahoo.com
fpilgreen@yahoo.com Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 2:58 PM
#
Thanks so much for the info. It was so useful. I just bought my jornada 680e from justdeals.com on ebay for $91. It was a great buy and everything was new and unopened except the jornada itself. quick question, does this wireless card you mention require a connection with a wireless/cell phone carrier? I have 2 other jornadas that I want to give my daughters so they will stay off the internet on my main computer. we have a network set up, and i'd like to get wireless cards that can feed off the main computers dsl line. we have dsl extreme through our phone line. thanks for anyones input.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 3:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

fpilgreen, in this case the Wireless adapters in question are Wirless Fidelity (WiFi) or Wireless Networking cards, rather than Wireless Data Modem cards.

The 680 can and does support this type of networking with the correct hardware. There are lots of posts here on the forum about which cards to use, different successes and failures, and we also provide the HCL (See Hardware) through which you can get an idea of what to look out for, as well as drivers.

Lastly there is a CESD (Support section) which has additional driver information for some cards, getting started and beginners guides on how to setup different aspects of the Wireless network and so on.

My best suggestion to you is to have a look around the site and the forum, get a feel for what others are doing and the requirements and caveats involved.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-04-22 6:33 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Tomb - 2005-04-08 11:41 PM

Did you try deactivating the touch screen toggle on & the switch for auto waking and suspending the 680 as you open or close it? HP advises refurbishers to deactivate the under the screen external on-off switch and advises users against activating it. I found the 680s turn themselves on randomly and sporadically when the touch screen wake up is activated. I have seen them activate themselves randomly and when they are picked up just right.

The problem goes away when you turn off the screen activation function in "settings"
Evidently it is caused by a design flaw.

--Bruised
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-04-22 10:13 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I left mine on overnight once. With the screen down. Unit beeped at me in the morning to charge the battery.
Chris
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-04-23 4:21 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

ESCAPEMAX - 2005-04-22 10:13 PM

I left mine on overnight once. With the screen down. Unit beeped at me in the morning to charge the battery.

Yes, that is what I was talking about. Randomly turning itself on. I had this problem with two 680s and have helped some students with same problem. Most likely, it is a design flaw. All I did to stop the problem is turn off the wake\suspend switch that is located under the base of the screen and turn off the function that lets you wake the 680 by touching the touch screen. You just remove the checks in the boxes in "settings" and it should never happen again.

Have you ever noticed your 680 does not always wake when you push the "on" key? Any of the top keys wake the 680. For some reason, they always work, first time, but the last key in the row, the 'official' on key does not always work.

--Bruised
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-04-23 4:38 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Actually, I think its supposed to turn on. When I push my Function keys, The unit turns on and goes to whatever I pushed.
The On/Off key? Always seems to work on mine.
Part of the my problem might be the fact that I leave the NIC in all the time.
Chris
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-23 9:26 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

my on/off doesn't work always either, i have to press hard on it
these function keys. cool, i didn't remember they will turn on the 720

i leave my wlan card in there often. no problems yet.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 30