x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Questions about Jornada 680E

« Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next »
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-03 12:00 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Sorry to hear about the condition of your unit. TD has 30day return policy right? I got mine from JustDeals (under PriceGrabber) and it arrived in 100% refurbished condition.

In fact, if it did not arrive in the plain white box, I would never have guessed its refurbished. The software and ac adapters are all brandnew as well.

So, you may want to consider your options.

Note: I am not affiliated to TD or JD or *D ...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-03 5:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

shumacher - 2005-08-01 4:20 AM

Well, the biggest issue was that, for some reason, I couldn't get the machine to support any of the wireless cards I threw at it. Thanks to the easy return policies of local retailers, I've tried about half a dozen. When you start lugging a USB network adapter, you've started to defeat the purpose. On top of that, there's no USB based connection card for Sprint. It was too big to fit in most jacket pockets, and I was somewhat afraid of it... It's quite a bit more fragile and expensive than the Casio A-11 I used to have! It's surprisingly slow. I never managed to get the standby function to work - it would standby and wake fine, except that it just couldn't restore the display (internal or external) from standby. The touchpoint - a control I loved years ago on my boss's (Dell?) 486 - was tiring to use. Windows ME was pretty bad. It won't boot off anything but the PCMCIA CD-ROM (which I don't have), the internal hard drive, or the USB floppy. There are just too many little problems and annoyances. I almost wonder about my logic board, I've had so many issues. I might just try putting Gentoo on it tomorrow, just to see what happens.
If cost were no issue, I'd either find a way of making things right, or just get that sweet Toshiba Libretto I saw at CompUSA last week.

In short, the C1 is "carry to site, use, carry to next site." I want "use on way to site, use at site, use on way to next site..." I want to spend more time using the device on the task I wish to complete, and less time trying to convince the device that I have, in fact, plugged in the cell phone, and that no, it is not in use by another application.

Not that I'm bitter...

I'm thinking most about the 680e, but the internal modem, 32MB memory and more conventional CF slot are calling me to the 780.

thanks for your detailed answer!
well, given your planned usage pattern, a hpc will be great. btw, if you have more money you can check out the jornada 720 or 728 as well but the 680 will be great too for sure!
interesting: my toshiba portege subnote has the exact same issue with standby, display doesn't always restore!! annoying. now that i have my jornada 728, i almost never use the toshiba! (pity, it is a cool subnote.. but .. hpc's are better for me!)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-03 7:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Minimicrite - 2005-08-03 4:04 PM
and the screen is dark in the corners (I hope the backlight bulb lasts!).

well if it isn't *too* dark then don't worry. the light has never been evenly distributed on my jornadas either. (720 and 728) though now you got me scared a little
 Top of the page
DKNJ
DKNJ Page Icon Posted 2005-08-04 5:09 PM
#
Difference Between Jornada 680 and 680e

Just wondering becuz I am about to purchase the 680e and wondering if what I wanna do with it changes becuz im not going to get the 680.

I have a Sony Clie NX-70V thatI am sending in to get fixed but what I wanna do with my jornada is this.

Type up documents and stuff and listen to music on it while Im working. I know there is a plastic cover on the bottom of this model that covers up stuff and can be removed. I wanna transfer documents I make on the jormada to my pc and back and forth.

Does it have a modem built in it like a 56k cuz I know I can buy a LAN modem for it right?

Also I want it to be something that lasts long as well. If I do get it, it would be from www.tigerdirect.com

Please help me out!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-04 6:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

you could try to use google.com or even better: hp.com will tell you everything. but anyway here's the answer: 680e doesn't have a modem. this is the only difference. of course only if you're talking about a regular 680e.. those custom 680e's have some other differences, but please read through this thread and you'll find out (and the workarounds as well).
yep you can get a lan card for it.. even wlan.. and it will be perfect for the tasks you want to use it for except music because it has a horrible audio system. the jornada 720 is much better..
 Top of the page
DKNJ4Lyfe
DKNJ4Lyfe Page Icon Posted 2005-08-06 1:32 PM
#
thanks I appreciate it and also can I use an emulator on the Jornada 680E?
 Top of the page
shumacher Page Icon Posted 2005-08-07 11:57 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

TigerDirect had some shipping delays with my order. While I ordered my unit on Sunday, 7-30 with 2 day shipping, the additional delays put my 680e on my doorstep friday. My PDA is in good condition, almost completely without scratches, though the power key print is nearly worn clean and the screen shows a dime-sized bit of wear between where the Internet Explorer and Inbox icons are. The backup battery was nearly dead, but I picked one up the day before, so no worries.

I've been using it over the weekend, and I've found a couple of problems. The CF card reader doesn't fill me with confidence. It's just not that solid. I wonder if that's normal. The screen has me wondering too. It seems to need a firm touch to read acurately. With a more reasonable pressure (more than enough for my previous devices - Palm m100, Treo 300, Treo 600, Casio A-11, Handspring Visor) the digitizer seems to have trouble locating the pen. It's as if it's detecting false contact elsewhere on the display. I'll randomly (and intermittently) get these little straight lines as the digitizer tries to find a point with two contacts on the display.

Okay, above, look at the words my Tigerdirect. See the straight lines coming off the y and the second e? That's the sort of problem I'm running into without pushing very firmly with the stylus. (I'm not pushing hard enough to cause discoloration.)

Is it normal for this to require this much effort?

My other issue is that I've been unable to get my contact syncronized with my PC. I've been wondering why they wouldn't include some software package to manage contacts, tasks, calendaring, and other PIM information. I went back to the TigerDirect site today, and came to realize that I should have recieved Outlook 2000 with my hpc. I called Tiger, and they told me that HP doesn't support this, and they can't send just the disc, so I'd either have to mail the whole thing back to them and then wait for them to get another unit out to me, or give them another $99 and wait a week for them to get a second unit out. I would then ship back the unit I don't want. I'm totally not in the mood to deal with typing my contacts out, so skipping outlook completely isn't an option. I'm disappointed now.

I'm worried that a second unit will have more problems than this one, so I'm a little reluctant.

Edited by shumacher 2005-08-08 12:00 AM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 1:08 AM
#
H/PC Elder

The spiking you describe and demonstrate is usual for a machine with a less than acceptable digitizer. IMO, I'd send that one back for another. My 690 had a perfect digitizer, as do my 6651s.

Tho' it looks flimsy the CF slot doessn't have a high failure rate AFAIK. But then I put my card in once and removed it when the unit was sold.I was missing one of the black catches and the other was wobbly so I superglued the catch in place. No futher problems with the slot popping open.

I regret/don't selling it. It was compact but with a ppc and 6651 all my needs were met.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 1:38 AM
#
H/PC Elder

The spiking you describe and demonstrate is usual for a machine with a less than acceptable digitizer. IMO, I'd send that one back for another. My 690 had a perfect digitizer, as do my 6651s.

Tho' it looks flimsy the CF slot doessn't have a high failure rate AFAIK. But then I put my card in once and removed it when the unit was sold.I was missing one of the black catches and the other was wobbly so I superglued the catch in place. No futher problems with the slot popping open.

I regret/don't selling it. It was compact but with a ppc and 6651 all my needs were met.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 3:43 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I would like to take this time in remembrance for the time of 2005-08-07 10:38 PM, when wallythacker completed his mass posting of the same message 7 times in a row. This shows an unsurpassed level of impatience with Factor's pitifully slow serving capabilities. If we could all take a moment of silence...

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 6:06 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

LOL,

I think that PS has caught you, worked out your fiendish plan to inflate your post count Wallythacker, and ratted you out
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 11:35 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-08-08 9:43 AM

I would like to take this time in remembrance for the time of 2005-08-07 10:38 PM, when wallythacker completed his mass posting of the same message 7 times in a row. This shows an unsurpassed level of impatience with Factor's pitifully slow serving capabilities. If we could all take a moment of silence...

it clearly shows you wasn't here for a long time. you know nothing.. the server is about to die (overloaded all the time), it's not wallythacker's fault.
i encountered the same problem earlier, and it still wasn't working after several hours. so is it really impatience? tell me...

erm, the thread is frozen now?! let's see if i can post this!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 4:48 PM
#
H/PC Elder

*mutters under breath*
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 5:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

EDIT: I see. C:Amie, when it gets that timed out error, sometimes it does post to the board. Is this thread too big or something? Because it is the only one that times out.

And weren't you changing the SQL software to make things actually run smoothly?

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-08-08 5:08 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-08 6:50 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I'm beta testing the new forum kernel at the moment.

This thread has no issue with timeouts, it times out because you lot hit the submit button several times in a row which takes up and drops database cursors several times and kills the request while at full load.
The forum only has access to 15 database cursors for the entire board.

The problem with this thread isn't the database writes, it's with the indexing, it occasionally drop out and needs to be retasked from the admin interface. All your posts are getting into the database.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 28