x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Poll: What is a WM2003 compatibility layer worth to you?

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next »
Poll: What is a WM2003 compatibility layer worth to you?
OptionResults
I would not use it
I would use it if it were free
I would pay up to $5
I would pay up to $10
I would pay up to $15
I would pay up to $20
I would pay more than $20

iforevans Page Icon Posted 2006-11-07 11:38 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

chiark - 2006-11-07 11:32 AM

I have to say, sometimes non developers have NO idea how much work goes into a project like this.

Disagree. I think non developers have no idea, and occasional dabblers have no clue either. There's a vast difference between printing "hello, world" and a complex bit of software.

Fully agree with your sentiments, and I'd love to be able to get a core team of developers organised through hpcfactor if remotely possible to set on this sort of thing

Sounds like a plan, but you never wanbt to muscle in on someone elses project unless invited. And it sounds to me like isotherm has thing well in hand from the comments made by cmonex.

BTW When you said Disagree up there, which bit were you disagreeing with? I haven't had myu coffee today and can't figure it out

...Ifor
 Top of the page
iforevans Page Icon Posted 2006-11-07 11:39 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

chiark - 2006-11-07 11:32 AM

I have to say, sometimes non developers have NO idea how much work goes into a project like this.

Disagree. I think non developers have no idea, and occasional dabblers have no clue either. There's a vast difference between printing "hello, world" and a complex bit of software.

Fully agree with your sentiments, and I'd love to be able to get a core team of developers organised through hpcfactor if remotely possible to set on this sort of thing

Sounds like a plan, but you never want to muscle in on someone else's project unless invited. And it sounds to me like isotherm has thing well in hand from the comments made by cmonex.

BTW When you said Disagree up there, which bit were you disagreeing with? I haven't had mu coffee today and can't figure it out

...Ifor

Edited by iforevans 2006-11-07 11:42 AM
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2006-11-07 12:09 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'm not a software developer, but I do know how much time and effort it takes to create quality software and that is why I always register the software I use and try to publize developers products and websites in my newsletter.

The truth is that many non developers on this forum are quite aware of how much work goes into programming software, but that doesn't mean that they are willing or able to pay for it.

Most of the developers I've contacted did not stop producing software for our platform because no one is manufacturing Handheld PC's any more, but rather because H/PC owners just stopped purchasing or requesting their software.

From the pole question, at the beginning of this forum, it would appear that quite a number of members are interested in what isotherm is developing......now let's see if that actually equates to 'putting your money where your mouth is' once the software is released. I really, really hope so, but if past history is any indicator.....I shall remain skeptical.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-11-07 2:19 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Well, John, this 'layer' would be so cool to have, no matter how much it is.. If it meant getting Opera on HPC2000, than in my opinion, that alone is certainly worth it ..
 Top of the page
iforevans Page Icon Posted 2006-11-07 2:24 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

tenjeangosi - 2006-11-07 2:19 PM

Well, John, this 'layer' would be so cool to have, no matter how much it is.. If it meant getting Opera on HPC2000, than in my opinion, that alone is certainly worth it ..

TOTALLY agree, everything else I've been able to update via third party apps EXCEPT the web browser. (I do already run Netfront 3.3 but its just not a satisfying experience). The layer would be worth it even if it only managed to get me Opera and nothing else.

OFFTOPIC: Just relized that a picture of Fred in her darker days
 Top of the page
iforevans Page Icon Posted 2006-11-07 2:24 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

tenjeangosi - 2006-11-07 2:19 PM

TOTALLY agree, everything else I've been able to update via third party apps EXCEPT the web browser. (I do already run Netfront 3.3 but its just not a satisfying experience). The layer would be worth it even if it only managed to get me Opera and nothing else.

OFFTOPIC: Just realized, that's a picture of Fred in her darker days
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-11-07 2:27 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

iforevans - 2006-11-07 12:24 PM
OFFTOPIC: Just realized, that's a picture of Fred in her darker days

ROFL, yeah, it's Illyria from Angel Season 5.. Yes, the 'dark' Fred..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-07 2:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Hurricane John - 2006-11-07 6:09 PM

From the pole question, at the beginning of this forum, it would appear that quite a number of members are interested in what isotherm is developing......now let's see if that actually equates to 'putting your money where your mouth is' once the software is released. I really, really hope so, but if past history is any indicator.....I shall remain skeptical.

many people are interested. this isn't just software for a certain task that might interest only part of users, this is a special software allowing to use lots of kinds of software, so of course it interests more people. i'm sure many are ready to actually pay
i know some people didn't vote because they didn't think this wasn't vaporware - but they will probably buy it if it gets released. so there's even more than those that actually voted in those few days when the poll was active (i.e. frequently on the main page between the latest threads)
 Top of the page
theoak Page Icon Posted 2006-11-15 6:20 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Anything new on this, or is this just vaporware?

(I realize some have tried this already, but it seems not but
one or two people maybe. Just wondering if the developer has
dropped this project.)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-11-15 6:37 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I'm pretty sure isotherm is still working on it.. If you want, you can visit #hpcdev on efnet for IRC to ask questions etc to isotherm..
 Top of the page
theoak Page Icon Posted 2006-11-15 6:54 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Just as a suggestion:

Posting once a week here would help keep up anticipation for his project, and give greater exposure. Even if all that is said is, "still working on this."

My 2 cents (with inflation that is probably worth .002 ¢)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-15 8:07 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

OK then let's post
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2006-11-15 10:26 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Well for what its worth, i originally chose the 'would pay 20 dollars'. But honestly, if this thing works for opera and agile messenger, and i assume it will allow running many many more wm2003 applications.. then heck... isotherm, even if you never release it... and say its at 75% usable.. i personally will paypal you 40 USD.(for a copy)

Edited by RTFM 2006-11-15 10:27 PM
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 4:33 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

iforevans - 2006-11-07 4:38 PM
Sounds like a plan, but you never wanbt to muscle in on someone elses project unless invited. And it sounds to me like isotherm has thing well in hand from the comments made by cmonex.

That is absolutely not my intention - sorry if I gave that impression. I would like to know exactly how many people on HPCFactor can develop code so that we can collaboratively work on things, whether a web browser port (which has died) to something almost trivial like a G138 prefs application

That is completely separate from this thread, so I shouldn't have mentioned it - I was just trying to capitalise on the discussion of development . Hope that makes sense

And I really hope that the author is still working on this

Oh, and when I said "disagree", I was disagreeing with your statement that non developers don't understand the complexities of software development. I've seen people who have fired up VB and put up "hello, world" tell me with a straight face that they can knock out hundreds of lines of quality code a day and really don't understand why software development takes so long... That's possible on small things, but not on a large software project.

I really must write more clearly - not always easy on a small keyboard tho
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-11-16 9:56 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

chiark - 2006-11-16 10:33 AM

Oh, and when I said "disagree", I was disagreeing with your statement that non developers don't understand the complexities of software development. I've seen people who have fired up VB and put up "hello, world" tell me with a straight face that they can knock out hundreds of lines of quality code a day and really don't understand why software development takes so long... That's possible on small things, but not on a large software project.

I really must write more clearly - not always easy on a small keyboard tho

i wish i could code but as i can't, i'll just hope you can find more developers on hpcfactor

oh about non developers understanding the difficulties of programming, i think, for one, i understand them too well. i see how complex it can be, and maybe that's one reason why i haven't really started getting into it yet. anyway, at least managed to find a language i really like though it can't be used for most of the general development. maybe after getting it to know better than atm, i'll have enough confidence to try c/c++.
(no, it is not vb and similar stuff, i hate that )

what device has such a small keyboard?
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.230 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 18