x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My New AMD 50x15 PIC Computer!!!

1 2 3 4
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-10-22 8:05 AM
#
H/PC Elder

http://www.dataevolution.com/support.htm

here is the dataevolution link. maybe linux will make it a better guest browser.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-10-22 10:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yoldering, seems like a nifty device regardless. I just used the eBay link CEGeek posted and offered them $29 for one ($11 shipping also) and it was rejected. So I bumped it up $10 and it was accepted. Looks like I'll be playing with the thing in the future myself. Hope mine works better than yours....

Rich
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2008-10-22 12:13 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

It is not that mine is bad, I am just mad about my "real computer" dying... I am using my same Sony monitor, and for some reason I expected the PIC to work just as fast as the other one. I am also frustrated that my other monitor is just sitting there black...

I could not get my wife to let me build the new PC that I want, so I will have to use this one for the moment. I will get by because it is a good little web surfer, but will not work for real office applications. It has textmaker for its office ap.

I hate to think about typing all of my papers on my Eee.

Wait!!! I forgot about the Eee... I will just hook up the other monitor and keyboard to it, and use that for school!!!

I am in a much better mood now; I just had to work through it...

I still want a new PC
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-10-22 3:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Welcome to our H/PC therapy session.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2008-10-24 2:55 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I have decided that the PIC is a good net machine, but not very productive for other applications. I do like it to surf on. It stopped freezing.

Edited by Yoldering 2008-10-24 2:57 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2008-10-30 2:29 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Rich,
If you get a chance, please try and test any/all wifi adapters you can on your new PIC. I have not had any luck with the Linksys adapter, and have decided not to buy a new adapter until I find one that will work with the darn thing.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-10-30 2:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

As Yoldering will tell you, I've been disappointed with my AMD PIC. Because it didn't work when I received it. I could hear the HD spin up, but nothing on the monitor. Well I got my second one today. It showed up on the monitor, did the self-test thing, and then froze. I was in fits again. But on a whim I pulled the HDs from both machines and swapped them out.

PROBLEM RESOLVED! WO WO! Nice big clear screen, fast little bugger in comparison to my Mobilepros, about what you would expect from a Pentium III in speed, no complaints in the web surfing arena...not a bad deal for $39. Textmaker and Planmaker work great on it, and to give you an idea of the speed, to bring up HPCFactor for the first time only took like 5 seconds. The seller stood behind his product and mailed me a replacement free of charge, and let me keep the broken one to boot. What more could you ask for...which goes to show that some eBayers are right up there in integrity. Thanks again CE Geek for that link....

Have no idea what I need it for however...just the price was right since I can't afford one of Chris' G138s....

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-10-30 2:35 PM
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-10-30 3:09 PM
#
H/PC Elder

G138's are getting cheaper.

seen one on ebay for £120 and the dollar GBP exchange rate is heading the correct way.

I may grab one to use as a small cheap network hdd / printer server. Though guess it will need linux to serve as that. Wish it wasn't locked down in CE would be great to be able to install apps.

Anyway I will likely grab one. May just use as a small bedroom PC or something. But for the price it sounds like somthing fun to play with.

John
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-10-30 3:53 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Actually I think you probably can add software...but you need to find CE5 X86 compatible software, and that is the problem. I pulled the HD and mouted it into my desktop, I was able to view the Windows folder fine there, while I cannot see it when running from the PIC OS. So I imagine you could copy the files over and then stick it back into the PIC and then be able to access them.

Rich
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-10-30 5:18 PM
#
H/PC Elder

hmmm maybe but all my research led me to belive it was totally locked down. Still at that price I will give it a go.

Custom rom maybe
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2008-10-30 6:09 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Rich,
Are you going to try that? Seems like a good idea...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-10-30 6:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

mr-mac - 2008-10-30 12:09 PM
the dollar GBP exchange rate is heading the correct way.

Sez you.

Re: compatible programs
At least .NET CF 1, 2, and 3.5 apps should work on it.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-10-31 4:00 AM
#
H/PC Elder

CE Geek - 2008-10-30 11:37 PM

mr-mac - 2008-10-30 12:09 PM
the dollar GBP exchange rate is heading the correct way.

Sez you.

Re: compatible programs
At least .NET CF 1, 2, and 3.5 apps should work on it.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-10-31 6:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I pulled the HD from my PIC and stuck it in my desktop. From there I could see all the normal folders you would expect to see on a Windows CE device.

I then copied the X86 version of SpreadCE to the HD into the Windows\Programs folder. Then I pulled the HD and stuck it back into my PIC. Booted it up, and there it was.

SpreadCE booted right up, full screen, super fast...about 1 second. Much much faster than the included PlanMaker.

So you can install programs, at least manually in that fashion. Of course I also ran SpreadCE off a USB flash drive on the PIC before trying this to make sure it worked, and it ran fine from the USB drive as well.

Finally, I did the image restore function on the PIC, and it wiped the HD and reinstalled a clean image (without SpreadCE). Exactly the response you would expect from a hard reset and a CE device.

So it is possible to add software to the device in a round and about fashion....you just need to find the software. Wish Total Commander had an X86 version (note X86 emulation)...

Rich
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-10-31 6:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Of course I could have just copied the programs from the flash drive to the "my documents" folder using the CE interface and ran SpreadCE just as easily from there, but I couldn't put it in the Windows folder using that method.

Rich
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8