x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My New AMD 50x15 PIC Computer!!!

1 2 3 4
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-11-03 4:08 AM
#
H/PC Elder

hmmm must have a look at getting one for a little play with.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-09 2:21 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well I still haven't been successful in getting wireless to work with this PIC yet. But I did discover that PocketDOS works very well with it.

Here are 3 snapshots...not screenshots. First is of an old CGA game playing on the PIC in CGA mode. The next is Microsoft Word...boy does that bring back memories, and the last is an adventure game running in EGA mode.

Rich

(cgascreen.jpg)

(word.jpg)

(egagame.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cgascreen.jpg (40KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments word.jpg (25KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments egagame.jpg (39KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-11-09 3:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rich Hawley - 2008-10-31 12:20 PM
Wish Total Commander had an X86 version (note X86 emulation)...

Rich

maybe you can send a request to ghisler (the totalcmd dev)? he seems to be pretty good with making different versions available for different platforms.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-11-09 3:33 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rich Hawley - 2008-10-30 8:34 PM
Nice big clear screen, fast little bugger in comparison to my Mobilepros, about what you would expect from a Pentium III in speed, no complaints in the web surfing arena...not a bad deal for $39.

very nice, maybe i should make an offer and get one too i see they ship worldwide!

so why do you need to copy apps to \Windows?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-09 3:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You really don't need to copy the programs to the windows folder except to to have them show up on the START\PROGRAMS button. But you really can run them from anywhere on the HD without any problem. It is just that I like things on the START button. Makes it quicker to load and find without trying to remember where I copied some file to.

But the point is that the way the shell is designed, only some of the folders on the HD show up at all. If I click on the MY DEVICE icon, the only thing that shows up is HARD DISK. If I click on that the only thing that shows up is MY DOCUMENTS.

But if I use GSFinder, then I can see all the other folders on the hard drive, such as DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS, NETWORK, PROGRAM FILES, TEMP, PROGRAMS, MY DOCUMENTS, SOUNDS, WALLPAPER, WINDOWS and others. Probably there are shortcuts that could be made for all of these folders so they would show up on the CE shell, but natively they are not there.

Again, I can't tell you how much faster this thing is over my Mobilepro 900C. Hooked up to the internet, the pages pop up in just a couple seconds...

BTW, to reset the entire thing...you stick a paperclip into a hold and push down a switch while powering on. You get a fresh install of the OS from ROM in just a few seconds. Talk about your virus and worry free computer....again nice.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2008-11-10 12:09 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yuck, CGA. I've never seen Commander Keen look so ugly (compared to the VGA version)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-12 11:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

BTW, I've been speaking with Christian Ghisler, the genius behind Total Commander, and he has successfully ported it over to the 50X15. It looks just like you would expect. The FTP functions and other add-ons work perfectly so far. Here is a screenshot of it on my PIC:

(screenshot00.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments screenshot00.jpg (51KB - 3 downloads)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-12-03 7:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Okay, some interesting info for anyone who is interested in the 50X15. I have discovered that the USR MaxG USB wifi adapter works on the AMD PIC without any additional drivers.

At first it wasn't working, but I was plugging it into an USB extender cable. When I removed that and plugged it directly into the USB port, it works great.

I am able to connect to my home network using WEP/WPA without any problems whatsoever in G mode. This 50X15 is making me happier and happier.

The MaxG adapter is a remote NDIS usb adapter, that supposedly doesn't require any drivers for CE5. I wondering if it could be used with CE.NET 4.2 as well with the proper registry entries. That will come later. Here are a couple of pics showing my network connections. These are screenshots taken on the 50X15 using the screen capture program that comes with it.

BTW, the adapter was only $14 and that included free shipping. Got it in eBay action 290275086984

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-12-03 7:29 PM

(maxg1.jpg)

(maxg2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments maxg1.jpg (82KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments maxg2.jpg (52KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2008-12-03 10:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Awesome, I just got the last one on ebay for less than the $25-$35 range, it was $16 shipping included... Thank you sir!!!

Edited by Yoldering 2008-12-03 10:10 PM
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2009-01-19 3:51 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Has anyone tried this MaxG adapter with CE .net?
 Top of the page
Nate the great Page Icon Posted 2009-01-19 9:30 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I just got one on Ebay for $29+$11 shipping. Not great, but not bad.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-01-20 1:02 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

did you all get it from the seller who has them for 70$ and accepts offers?
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2009-01-20 2:44 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

No, there was this guy who sold them for really cheap but he hasn't got any for sale right now. Maybe if we asked him..
 Top of the page
Nate the great Page Icon Posted 2009-01-20 10:47 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

cmonex - 2009-01-20 1:02 AM

did you all get it from the seller who has them for 70$ and accepts offers?

I did.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-01-20 11:00 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I wasn't able to get the USR MaxG adapter to work with my 900C at all. It doesn't have the necessary files that are needed that some versions of CE5 does have.

I think Yoldering and I got them from the same guy...only was $15...shipped...
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.235 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 14