x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

American TeleCare Windows CE Unlocked device

smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2009-07-19 12:56 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

These were on liquidation in the summer of 2009 in ebay. I am putting the info here in case another wave of liquidation does not persist and the devices fall off the internet. The reason they're off topic here is that they are not consumer oriented products. However, they are on topic in that they run a Windows CE and have an unlocked desktop to run the familiar shell and any custom apps.

I took one apart and have some internal photos to share in addition to the seller's listing photos. I am not the seller of these, just bought them and didn't really like the high wattage they pull to operate for my intended purposes. If the power draw was lower my plan was to replace the 56k modem with a wifi pcmcia card that has an external antenna connector and snake a wire up the opposite way from the bluetooth one. I may still do that, but I have other things I'd like to do before revisiting.

Brief spec overview:
Windows Ce .NET 4.2
6" Touch screen
Integrated Sound - External Speaker visible in photo
Integrated 56k modem in internal pcmcia slot
206MHZ ARM
4 USB ports (USB Host - Keyboard confirmed working)
2X PCMCIA slots (on internal hosts the 56k modem)
Internal bluetooth (antenna snakes up the device for reception, I paired it to my cell phone to see if it could. it did, but i dont know the profile I used)

All external photos from auction listing. All internal photos by me. I have higher resolution of the internals if anyone has curiosity or need.

(ATI1.jpg)

(ATI2.jpg)

(ATI3.jpg)

(ATI4.jpg)

(ATI5.jpg)

(ATI_InternalFrontplate.jpg)

(ATI_InternalBackplate.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ATI1.jpg (27KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments ATI2.jpg (44KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments ATI3.jpg (30KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments ATI4.jpg (13KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments ATI5.jpg (36KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments ATI_InternalFrontplate.jpg (49KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments ATI_InternalBackplate.jpg (43KB - 6 downloads)
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-07-19 1:55 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

It's rather thick and large. I guess it is naturally heavy. Otherwise, it's fun device.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-07-19 2:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Nice! I'd love to see more shots of it in action (and maybe a YouTube video?).
 Top of the page
duncanam1 Page Icon Posted 2010-01-20 5:01 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Were you ever able to do anything effective with this device yet. I picked one up with the intent of trying to do an advance connection to control a Laptop in a poor mans Car PC but never got the connection to work on the Windows XP end. I am new to imbedded OS's and am still far just poking around mostly.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2010-02-10 2:17 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Interesting, I missed this one, looks like the perfect kitchen/counter top recipe looker upper.
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2010-02-15 4:54 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I was going to use it as an alarm clock, but it looked a bit out of place there. Never got around to replacing the 56k modem with a wifi.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2010-02-15 5:04 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I was looking around, and i got the same sort of idea for the kitchen, not as cheap or ce but newer chumby is only $119 and can take a battery.

http://www.chumby.com/
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2010-02-18 5:54 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Those chumby are interesting devices. I like them for their open-ness and tinkerability. Don't have one yet, but like the concept.

For my kitchen I was using a Jornada 820 connected to a 15" LCD monitor. It took up a bit more space than I wanted and I wanted to get a touchscreen. Plus reading here, I was worried about the repeated closures and opening of the Jornada and how it would stand up to time.

I moved off the Jornada and onto a Futurecom Global Neta 980 (maybe 985?). Only problem is when electricity cycles I have to re-do everything (WLAN Driver, copy some files to favorites, add a storage card shortcut to desktop, and such things) cuz the battery went dead. For keyboard I use one of those waterproof rubber USB keyboards. However, no page down/up key makes it less than perfect. Overall I'd rate my current experience as a B+.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2010-02-18 1:50 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I would still dig this ati device if i could find one & cheap for my purpose, but looks like i lost my chance a wile ago.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.484 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 28