x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Can't sync with ActiveSync

frustrated
frustrated Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 5:21 PM
#
Got a 780 off Ebay. Bought the supposedly correct sync cable separately on Ebay. Using 2000 on my Desktop. ActiveSync won't recognize the device on Com1. Com1 is available in device manager and no IRQ conflicts. (Just learned to check resources today) Tried terminal too. No luck. Windows Explorer shows a mobile device in folder list. Went through all troubleshooting I could dig up.

Tried everything and have spent 6 hours on this. Must eat now. PLEASE help!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 7:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Frustrated,

In ActiveSync's Connection Settings (File Menu) is COM1 listed as an available option, and is it enabled?

Secondly, firewalls can stop AS from making a connection.

You may not have any other programs attempting to pool the COM port, so PalmOS software, legacy DOS apps, terminal programs, you name it must be closed down.

Likewise you cannot be using the Windows 2000 'Network Connections' to monitor or host over the serial port. If you have an incoming connections listed in there, please delete them - or at least go through the configuration and remove all COM port references.
The same applies if you have a serial modem driver installed on the COM port, which hasn't been removed.

The next step after all of that is to go back to device manager, find the COM port's (all of them) and uninstall them (right click)
Reboot the computer, go into the bios and reset it's COM port values to default (or just reset the bios - but only if you know what you're doing).
When you reboot Windows will reinstall the COM ports on default settings.
 Top of the page
frustrated
frustrated Page Icon Posted 2005-07-16 9:11 PM
#
In ActiveSync's Connection Settings (File Menu) is COM1 listed as an available option, and is it enabled?

ME
Yes & Yes.

Secondly, firewalls can stop AS from making a connection.

ME
I tried exiting my Trend Micro. I've also just checked to see if I could enable an allowed program. No. Not like McAfee. A little background info, I used ActiveSync about 1.5 years ago with a PDA and it stopped working. Gave up after a year of randomly Googling fixes. I'm concerned that it is my computer. Yet, I keep it clean, streamlined and one of my best friends, a computer expert, CNJNET.com, built it and just replaced my hard drive after 5 years of use. I checked my BIOS settings and in my newbie knowledge, I set the IRQ's to monitor as some numbers were set to disabled.

You may not have any other programs attempting to pool the COM port, so PalmOS software, legacy DOS apps, terminal programs, you name it must be closed down.

ME
Again, in my newbie state, I sorted the device manager to show devices by connection and to the best of my ability, nothing showed up doubly under COM1. I also sorted resources by connection and both COM's had two different IRQ's as should be according to all the stuff I researched today.

Likewise, you cannot be using the Windows 2000 'Network Connections' to monitor or host over the serial port.

ME
What does this mean exactly in horsy ducky terms? I get it as long as it is explained in beginner terms. The only connection on my computer is "Local Area Connection 2" which is my (ethernet?) wired connection to my house's wireless Linksys router. Not serial.

If you have an incoming connections listed in there, please delete them - or at least go through the configuration and remove all COM port references.

ME
Figured that out today too and deleted the one that I tried to create.

The same applies if you have a serial modem driver installed on the COM port, which hasn't been removed.

ME
What does this mean exactly in horsy ducky terms?

The next step after all of that is to go back to device manager, find the COM port's (all of them) and uninstall them (right click)

ME
This won't hurt anything? I'm a big fan of delete and uninstall but have to restrain myself like a cosmetic surgeon with a knife in hand. I'm generally afraid to uninstall things that I wouldn't be able to reinstall unlike camera drivers, downloadable stuff etc.

Reboot the computer, go into the bios and reset it's COM port values to default (or just reset the bios - but only if you know what you're doing).

ME
Heh, heh! My friends think I'm the smartest person they've ever met but I'm no Bill Gates. Wait, I wouldn't want to be either. I've played around in the Bios many times without damaging anything. What exactly do you mean by COM port values to default? What would a default setting be? You mean when I hit DELETE in reboot and the AMIBIOS SIMPLE SETUP UTILITY V1.24a comes up with the 2 columned list with 7 options on each side to enter into? Don't see anything that resembles setting the COM port values to default unless I set all settings to default.

When you reboot Windows will reinstall the COM ports on default settings.

ME
I will try this nest. Uh, what about the device named: Communications cable between to computers

ME
Other: I tried both 115 and 19,2-baud rate. One other question though: The default setting on 780 is HARDWARE and the default setting on desktop is NONE (flow control) Got 3.8 ActiveSync; Glad to know I don't have to back to a very old ActiveSync. Another question answered.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-17 12:34 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

1. OK
2. Has it ever been wiped and reinstalled in the last 1.5 years, if not, there's a chance. You're running 2000 SP4 + all updates?
3. This has nothing to do with device manager, this is true blooded software programs, such as PalmDesk, terminal etc. Never randomly dump IRQ's onto device. If you don't understand it, it's best not to touch it. Please undo any IRQ changes.
4. If you only see Local Area Connection, then you don't
5. Nothing to add
6. If you ever had a modem attached to the com port, uninstall from Modem's in control panel
7. I wouldn't suggest it if it did. Windows will put it right back after a reboot.
8. If you're not sure, please don't try it
9. Yes, delete that too.
10. Never change settings on the PC from default. The only thing that needs to be changed from the HPC side is the communication speed from communications in control panel.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 2:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

OK, after all i won't create a new topic on it though it's hpc2000 in my case if this is too much of an OT just tell me. (i didn't find a topic on it in hpc2000)

one of my friends just bought a 720, and he's just trying to connect it to the PC. he has only a serial cable for that. after installation, AS of course pops up the get connected wizard but when he selects next, the PC will restart itself... i can't remember how it was with me, but definitely no restarts
if it doesn't restart, then the 720 just gives the 678 error. sometimes they seem to connect for a moment. but that's it.
maybe someone has some useful tips? i never had these problems so i can't really help, my tips didn't help so far
(PC has XP, and he disabled firewalls too in theory )
maybe a reinstall of XP? please no should we reset COM ports, or whatever?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 8:15 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It reboots the PC

Anything in the event logs?

I sometimes feel that 678 is the only error code programmed into ActiveSync.

If there's nothing in the event logs, then it's a tough one.
So, what to suggest... hum.

In no particular order...

• Does he have / used to have and other serial devices on the system - did he have any problems with those?

• Are there any conflicts or uninstall "unknown devices" in the Windows Device manager?

• Does Windows Update offer any additional drivers?

• Is he up to date with Windows update?

• Can you uninstallt the COM port's from device manager and reboot
    [*=Then can you tell me the I/O and IRQ assignments on the COM port (dev man > ports > com# > properties > resources

• Uninstall all Windows CE applications found on the PC

• Uninstall AS, delete the c:\program files\microsoft activesync folder

• Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services -and- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services

• Tried a different AS version? (presumably you're on 3.8) try 3.7.1 or 4.0 (download links in sync soft on top nav)

• Ensure that the firewall is really disabled, inc the XP one of using a third-party

• Ensure there are no incoming connections listed in the control panel > network connections

• Try a different serial cable.. may be the cable has a tear in its insulation which is causing a short

• Kill off all other tray services

• Virus scan and spyware scan it - something could be trying to flood the new TCP/IP connection with junk

I don't want to recommend that you wipe it, not until all hope is lost. Where an in-place upgrade would be the first stop over a format.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 10:13 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

thanks for the detailed answer! i'll ask him about these and get back to you
oh and it isn't a hardware thing, turned out cable works with another PC
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 11:42 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That's good to know and will help.