x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Soft Case for the Sig3?

1 2
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-10-21 10:14 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I'm so enjoying my @stingraze-purchased Sig3 and now wonder how to protect it. Its US dimensions (we have such a hard time with metric over here) are 7.5" x 4.6" x .82"

Tough numbers to come up with something close on Amazon or ebay.Any suggestions?

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-10-22 4:46 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I had forgotten how well the Nexus 7 sleeve fit the GPD Pocket 1, and the Pocket has the same dimensions as the Sig3. Couldn't find it new (but I already had a spare) but this is form-fitting:

Jake
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-10-22 9:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Good to know on the parallel with the nexus 7. That might make it a lot easier to find various bags and things!

Mine came with a soft case branded "PalmPal" which I haven't found anywhere else.
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-10-22 9:08 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

For instance, wonder how this would work:

I have mine in the soft case and then just carry it around in my regular bag with my other stuff.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-10-22 10:02 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

@thenzero I go for the form fit more than the carry bag, and the Nexus 7 sleeve is just that. It has a slot for very small peripherals, and no seal at the top, so things could spill out. I carry earphones and cf wifi card in tiny hard case.

That said, all this mobility is a little silly for a wifi-challenged device that will almost never leave the house (when needed, I run WEP 128 on a second router at home)

Jake
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-10-23 4:11 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

That said, all this mobility is a little silly for a wifi-challenged device that will almost never leave the house

Mine gets on wifi just fine and I take it with me everywhere, including on work trips.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-10-23 1:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Huh. You're getting WPA? @Alt Bass mentioned that the Aegis WPA workaround didn't work with 4.1, only 4.2.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2023-10-23 2:26 PM
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-10-23 4:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Jake - 2023-10-24 8:19 AM

Huh. You're getting WPA? @Alt Bass mentioned that the Aegis WPA workaround didn't work with 4.1, only 4.2.

Jake

Yes. Aegis WPA works (with some cards), even with AES and in mixed mode (router set to WPA/WPA2)! That way my modern devices don't complain about the security and they can all live happily on the same router

I am using a lower power spectec SDIO card for wifi. I have not experimented extensively with CF wifi, but enough to know that it works also with the right card.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-10-24 3:43 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2023-10-22 8:46 AM

I had forgotten how well the Nexus 7 sleeve fit the GPD Pocket 1, and the Pocket has the same dimensions as the Sig3. Couldn't find it new (but I already had a spare) but this is form-fitting:

Jake

Looked up Nexus 7 dimensions and what I found says: 7.81 x 4.72 x 0.41". All's good except for thickness. Sig 3 is 0.82", twice as thick.

So, assume that the Nexus 7 sleeve will stretch OK to allow for the thicker Sig 3 ?

Mark
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-10-24 3:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Good catch Mark.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-10-24 3:48 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

It should be fine for you. It's tight, but not dangerously so, IMHO.

Jake
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-10-24 4:04 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2023-10-24 7:48 AM

It should be fine for you. It's tight, but not dangerously so, IMHO.

Jake

That's good to hear....

Thanks, Jake.

Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-10-24 4:10 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

thenzero - 2023-10-23 8:14 AM

Jake - 2023-10-24 8:19 AM

Jake

Yes. Aegis WPA works (with some cards), even with AES and in mixed mode (router set to WPA/WPA2)! That way my modern devices don't complain about the security and they can all live happily on the same router

I am using a lower power spectec SDIO card for wifi. I have not experimented extensively with CF wifi, but enough to know that it works also with the right card.

Awaiting my recelled Sig 3 from ol' stingraze....so can't test wifi yet.....

I have a Symbol Spectrum24 LA-4137 CF card and an Ambicom WL100C-CF CF card. Do you know if they'll connect to WPA?

Also, still have my trusty ol' reliable Socket 10/100 ethernet card.....

Mark
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-10-24 4:10 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

thenzero - 2023-10-24 7:02 AM

Good catch Mark.

Thanks, tz....

Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-10-24 7:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

ArchiMark - 2023-10-25 11:10 AM

Awaiting my recelled Sig 3 from ol' stingraze....so can't test wifi yet.....

I have a Symbol Spectrum24 LA-4137 CF card and an Ambicom WL100C-CF CF card. Do you know if they'll connect to WPA?

Also, still have my trusty ol' reliable Socket 10/100 ethernet card.....

Mark

That's exciting!

I don't know about those cards specifically; the only CF card I've tried is an ambicom wl54-cf. Happy to try and get you up and running when you get your sig back.

Due to the limited space supported by the SD slot (2GB), I typically use the CF slot for storage space and the SDIO port for wifi. I have also found and previously reported that the USB port will also support mass storage but I think it's too slow to be the primary. Sadly I have not yet found a working USB ethernet solution although torch and I have tried several that seemed likely.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8