x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CEPIMS Works w/ Sig3/Win10/WMDC/32-bit Outlook

Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-10-25 2:40 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Requires an odd workaround and two downloads.

1) In WMDC, delete all partnerships. Restart computer. Install desktop CEPIMS from attached PC program

2) Do not connect the Sig3 to WMDC until the CEPIMS cab https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/838/TecAce_Corp/TecAce_CEPims/version_1.0?page=download is installed. WMDC will not install it for you, complaining that the Sig3 is an incompatible device, and TecAce options will be grayed-out

3) Once CEPIMS is installed on both desktop and Sig3, connect Sig3 to WMDC and make new partnership. In the initial WMDC menus, you should see un-grayed TecAce options of Calendar, Tasks, and Contacts. Tic them and it should generate the CEPIMS databases (CEPIMS works with its own PIM databases, it does not share Pocket Outlook's)

This is good news--even @cmonex's English-ed Gemini-PIMS (thank you again, @CE Geek, for uploading) doesn't work well on the Sig3. Some menus remain in Japanese, the font is difficult to read, the Notes rendering is a mess, and most weirdly, I couldn't alphabetize the contacts.

With CEPIMS, everything is in English, alphabetized Contacts, and most importantly, Notes (Notes font is too small, but no meta gibberish).

LATER CAVEATS:

This can border a hot mess, so lots of caution needed:

1) Back up your .pst before anything. Wish I had...

2) You have to sync BOTH Contacts and TeACE contacts. Since I just want CEPIMS, I unticked Contacts and all hell broke loose. Win10 system restore in search of a working WMDC, SIG3 hard reset, etc, and nothing that 4-5 hours won't repair

3) If you're syncing Outlook with Google, syncing TeACE will flip out google contacts, and gsyncit offers to delete a lot of things. Gird your loins and say yes (as long as you have the .pst backed up). If you say no, you'll have doubled contacts. Again, nothing that 4-5 hours won't repair. At least with gsyncit, on every sync, I'm prompted to delete a boatload, and I've agreed twice now, with no loss of contacts and no doubling

4) so, buyer beware all the way

What fun, though waters seemed to have calmed,
Jake

Edited by Jake 2023-10-25 10:21 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cePIMS_eva021009.zip (2867KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2023-10-25 8:16 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Great job, Jake!

Thanks for the directions....will try this when my Sig 3 arrives......

Sounds like overall, it works pretty well and is usable.

Mark
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2023-10-26 4:26 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I have vague recollections of getting cePIMS added to WMDC's sync options on an already-existing partnership on a Windows 7 PC, but it was some time ago and I don't recall which device. (I just wish we could find the MIPS and x86 versions, since cePIMS was originally written for CE 3.0. )
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-10-26 4:52 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Is this a good time to relatedly mention that npopuk works great on the sig?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-10-26 3:12 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Very much agree about npopuk. I use one setup for email and another as a bastard rss reader--rss-to-email (eg: blogtrotter) with full-text urls, and given the flexible nopuk.ini, the font presentation is very readable.

Jake
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-10-26 11:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Jake - 2023-10-27 10:12 AM

Very much agree about npopuk. I use one setup for email and another as a bastard rss reader--rss-to-email (eg: blogtrotter) with full-text urls, and given the flexible nopuk.ini, the font presentation is very readable.

Jake

That's cool. I've been looking for a way to do rss. The best I came up with was a web based aggregator on my server but that sounds like a much better solution. Can you share the details of your setup there? One issue is that most of the links themselves are also encrypted, how do you overcome that issue?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-10-27 2:21 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

The chain is: fivefilters.com (web scraper subscription for up to 10 articles, as many feeds as you want) > rss feeds that are run through fivefilters to make full-text feed urls > blogtrotter set up to use the full-text urls that are then scraped and emailed to your address.

Received in npopuk, the html rss emails are viewed with a browser.

fivefilters will give you 3 full-text articles per feed, for free. The yearly subscription is $55, and since I use full-text rss in all my devices, even devices that can manage https, it's worth the money, esp in airplanes, other off-line places.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.109 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 11