x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

TOSHIBA Satellite Pro 4600

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2024-02-20 9:22 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

In the end I decided to install windows xp embedded posready 2009. Now I have it and am updating it. There are tons of updates. The laptop has been on for 24 hours, the installation is slow and long. Perhaps this operating system and its updates are too heavy for this PC....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-02-20 10:27 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It depends if you are installing to a rotational hard drive, SSD or CF. It's going to be the disk I/O that is causing the bottleneck I imagine, but look in task manager, it will tell you if it is CPU/RAM.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-20 10:39 AM
#
H/PC Elite

^ This

If you dont already have a SSD, get one. For older computers especially, this brings new life into them. I have a 2010 Macbook that still out performs most PC's from even 5-6 years ago. It has 16gb ram and a SSD and WOW. I also have a 2012 MBP and that has a i5 processor and 16gb ram and a SSD and this computer is NOT much slower than my new M1 MBAir. I meant he M1 is faster, and smoother. But my 2012, yes i said that, my 2012 MBP is still up there. But mechanical HD's are the bottle neck with MOST of these older computers ive found. Swap that out and prepare for shorter load times for sure.

Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2024-02-20 12:50 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

WallyB110 - 2024-02-20 10:39 AM

^ This

If you dont already have a SSD, get one. For older computers especially, this brings new life into them. I have a 2010 Macbook that still out performs most PC's from even 5-6 years ago. It has 16gb ram and a SSD and WOW. I also have a 2012 MBP and that has a i5 processor and 16gb ram and a SSD and this computer is NOT much slower than my new M1 MBAir. I meant he M1 is faster, and smoother. But my 2012, yes i said that, my 2012 MBP is still up there. But mechanical HD's are the bottle neck with MOST of these older computers ive found. Swap that out and prepare for shorter load times for sure.

As suggested by C:Amie I got an adapter and a CF.
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-20 1:08 PM
#
H/PC Elite

^ ;-)
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2024-02-24 1:34 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I think it will take a long time. Windows updates made a big mess, crashing everything.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-24 2:45 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I have a theory about your crashing issue

Your processor is a pentium iii right ?

I don’t think that supports SSE2 CPU instructions.

Are you sure that you avoided installing updates that require SSE2?

I think there’s some guides that show which to avoid if you do a web search for Posready 2009 SSE2
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-24 6:55 PM
#
H/PC Elite

^ OH yeah ! THats a solid point right there. Id spaced about. Maybe what is going on for sure.

Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2024-02-25 12:52 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I didn't know this... I ended up installing the default operating system when I bought the PC. I installed Windows 2000.
I have a question to resolve on a device on this PC. From the characteristics it is sold with an integrated infrared device.
In fact, I installed the manufacturer's drivers and as you can see from the image, the device is recognized without problems.

In the control panel I go to Connection without cables

Selected in the properties Displays an icon indicating infrared activity on the taskbar
But this icon does not appear.

In Hardware the device appears correctly.

Now the problem is this I can't sync the Palm m100 device with the PC. I tried to follow the steps done in Windows 95, but it was not possible, as the infrared properties screen is completely different.
I would like to understand how to use the infrared port on this PC!
In Windows 95, in the properties you must specify the device to use COM Port 1, once this parameter has been specified, a virtual COM 4 port will be created and in the HotSync program you will have to select this virtual port, so that the infrared works with the Palm m100.
Now this is not possible, or I can't do it. I can't create this virtual COM port for the HotSync program to use.

You can see the example of how to set the infrared port in the manual. Page 128, 129 and 130 Chapter 5.
Obviously this guide is not compatible with Windows 2000.
Manual Palm m100

Edited by NarakuITA 2024-02-25 1:00 AM
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2024-02-25 3:44 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I used a Palm V with a Dell laptop using Windows XP; it synched fine with the infrared port. A "moving/red" IR icon appeared on the laptop's dock.

But...to get IR to work, I had to find some solution on the internet as the instructions did not work (XP was new). I don't recall the solution but remember it was something really simple with port page on both the palm and laptop. Hopefully this helps a bit. . .

EDIT -

* I don't remember if the wireless tray icon showed on my XP when idle...Maybe just the palm icon.

* In your third picture (Wireless link), go to "image transfer", UNCLICK "use wireless link to transfer images..." as that will prevent Palm sync

* Basic HotSync guide XP
http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/comms/infrared/IrDA%20faq.html#_Toc128227596

*This is a Toshiba tray issue
https://arstechnica.com/civis/threads/missing-system-tray-in-windows-xp.432392/

*The was a problem in Windows XP SP 2 with the Wireless Link icon - M$ KB article 896984- but that hotfix can't be applied on SP 3 installation. I also guess that the hotfix is included in SP 3.

https://superuser.com/questions/12809/how-to-restore-infrared-support-in-windows-xp

Edited by AximUser 2024-02-25 4:37 AM
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2024-02-25 10:24 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

I took a look, maybe my problem is the HotSync version is too old. According to the guide, you need to have HotSync 3.1.1 or 3.3. I have 3.0.4. In fact, when I click with the right mouse, Infrared does not appear in the various options that appear on the screen.

This is my version and that, from the image you can see that the Infrared option is not there.
Surely the reason is that being an old version, it must exploit the virtual COM port.

I found version 4.1 in Italian, but I can't upload it. How can I do??

https://web.archive.org/web/20030627151431/https://www-5.palm.com/it/it/support/palmdt4_mac.html

UPLOAD:
I found the PalmDesktop-Win-6.2.2 version.
Once installed or clicked on the infrared device.
Here is the error:
Failed to initialize (socket error: 12291) Using infrared connection.
I have no idea what to do....

Edited by NarakuITA 2024-02-25 11:31 AM
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-25 1:37 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Def download the newest 3.8 and give that a try and let us know if that solves the issue :-)
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2024-02-25 3:03 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Some forums claimed the IR issue on XP was fixed in 4.1 (and 6.2 won't work with IR).

I might have slowed down the speed of transfer to get this to work on XP too...

Another possibility is ircomm2k
http://www.ircomm2k.de/English/techdoc.html

This website might help; there are palm groups linked to Discord and Reddit
https://palmdb.net/help/hotsync-setup
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-25 3:07 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Per here
https://www.reddit.com/r/Palm/comments/d6oz97/issues_syncing_centro_over_ir/
Try
not sure if this might help, but I remember having some kind of issue with IR trying to hotsync before. I don't remember if it's the same issue you have, but I would fail to sync. for some reason, if I started the sync with the device already pointed at the IR receiver, it failed. I had to hold my palm pointing away, start the sync, then point it to the computer and it would work.
 Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2024-02-25 11:57 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

YES, it worked! By installing IrCOMM2k and Palm Desktop 3.1.1, I was able to get the Palm to sync with the PC. Once IrCOMM2k was installed, with HotSync I was able to select the virtual COM4 port, something I couldn't do before. I performed the procedure done on Windows 95 and everything went smoothly, without problems!

I continued with the installation of all the Windows 2000 updates via Legacy Update and now I wonder, do you know the latest version of the ex Kernel for Windows 2000, I find many on the internet, but I don't know what the latest version released is.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12