x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP Jornada 680: what to expect.

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 8:30 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I was able to connect to (which i still am) to Wifi, but now IE wont load even Google. Im sure im connected to my network, i have an IP addy etc. I dont get an error, it just loads a blank page. No error about DHCP etc. I was able to load frogfind and google yesterday. All i did was install the service pak update and now it wont load. Lights on my Wifi card are blinking like they did before, so im not sure whats going on.

I may have to see if a setting got reset when i installed that SP.
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 8:31 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

torch - 2024-02-21 4:09 PM

For PocketDOS, the developer, Ian is still available so you can email p o c k e t d o s [at] pocketdos.com and he can go over the process
http://www.pocketdos.com/
torch - 2024-02-18 2:09 AM

Here's what's needed basically:
Open Control Panel or Settings on your pocket computer.
Open the Owner item and make sure the Owner Name* is set correctly.

* Once you have registered PocketDOS, changing the Owner Name will invalidate your Unlock Code.

Install and start PocketDOS on your pocket computer.
Make a note of the eight or nine letter System ID* displayed on the PocketDOS startup screen.

* Required - make sure the Owner Name is set correctly before making a note of the System ID.

[UPDATED: 19 Oct 2021] Send an email to purchase "at" pocketdos.com to discuss licensing.

Once your order has been processed you will be supplied with an Unlock Code to unlock your copy of PocketDOS, as well as other important information regarding your registration.

If you made a mistake entering the information when you registered PocketDOS, upgrade your pocket computer, or need to change the Owner Name, you can request a new unlock code here.

PocketDOS does not include a DOS license, and does not need one if using a free DOS (like FreeDOS). A license may be necessary for some of the versions of DOS supplied with PocketDOS as evaluation versions. Information on licensing for the DOS versions supplied with PocketDOS can be found by typing A:\README and/or viewing the A:\README.TXT file after booting PocketDOS with the DOS in question.

So the Make a note of the eight or nine letter System ID* is also needed too in that email. But I'd prob just wait until they reply I just meant to have that ready

Below is what Ian from Pocket DOS also mentioned about the PayPal process
Thanks! If you want to add to that you can say that licenses cost 20USD, and
payments are done via Paypal. If someone wants to license it they need to send
their Paypal email address to me, so that I can do a Paypal payment request.

For Spreadsheets, I highly recommend SpreadCE found here
https://www.byedesign.co.uk/
It even supports the new XLSX/ODS file formats too. You can use it for free, with no limitations. Or you can purchase for $20 if you want to remove the VERY minor "nag" when you use the file menu, it doesn't affect actual spreadsheet entry

Thanks!!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 8:37 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

WallyB110 - 2024-02-21 1:30 PM

I was able to connect to (which i still am) to Wifi, but now IE wont load even Google. Im sure im connected to my network, i have an IP addy etc. I dont get an error, it just loads a blank page. No error about DHCP etc. I was able to load frogfind and google yesterday. All i did was install the service pak update and now it wont load. Lights on my Wifi card are blinking like they did before, so im not sure whats going on.

I may have to see if a setting got reset when i installed that SP.

What are the network settings at?
Try this and retest if you haven't already
torch - 2024-02-18 10:30 PM

For dhcp issues
I’d recommend assigning a static IP address with 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as the primary and secondary DNS servers respectively
I mean I don’t know if that’s your issue but that’s always worked for me
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 8:45 PM
#
H/PC Elite

^ I got it working again. Settings for Wifi needed to be adjusted. :-)

Frogfind.com is your friend ;-)
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 10:07 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

What a day!! I've read on a review of the Jornada that you can make the graphic chip show more than 256 colors, any clues of what software is needed to do so?, It seems to me like a ROM flashing, because the graphic chip depends directly of the drivers where the OS is installed, right? The more I read, the more I doubt :/
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 10:09 PM
#
H/PC Elite

All of that is in the software section on here. Click Downloads and then select updates and then select your machine. ALL of that software is on here. :-)

-Walt

https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/

Edited by WallyB110 2024-02-21 10:09 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 10:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

ABBADON - 2024-02-21 3:07 PM

What a day!! I've read on a review of the Jornada that you can make the graphic chip show more than 256 colors, any clues of what software is needed to do so?, It seems to me like a ROM flashing, because the graphic chip depends directly of the drivers where the OS is installed, right? The more I read, the more I doubt :/

https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/1342/HP_Jornada_680/680e_Vibrant_Display_Driver_65536_colors/version_1.0
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 10:27 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Oh and my unit is running 65k, not 256. You can see the difference. I have a cool background and in 256 mode it looked terrible.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 10:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Also after you install the vibrant display driver, this program will let you configure Pocket Internet Explorer to display all 64K colors
https://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/107/Tillanosoft/SmallTweak/version_3.5

By default it only shows 256 colors
 Top of the page
WallyB110 Page Icon Posted 2024-02-21 10:45 PM
#
H/PC Elite

^ Thanks for mentioning that, i forgot about that step i did. Yeah it looks a LOT better (any graphics) on the unit in all the programs. Ill have to take a pic of my background im using, looks wicked cool.
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-02-22 5:39 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I think I must earn the right to download first Maybe if I post some tutorials along this year!!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-22 5:46 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Donating to the site isn’t very much considering the wealth of content available and lasts the whole year (£0.84 a month for the bronze tier [but it’s just a £10 minimum for the lowest tier which includes download access ])

Here’s info on that

https://www.hpcfactor.com/info/help/subscriptions/

Anyway I was able to find that patch in another thread here
torch - 2024-02-14 5:49 PM

WallyB110 - 2024-02-14 5:30 PM

Aslo there is a SP for the unit to make it have more than 256 colors, does anyone know where i may find oner ?

Try this:
go here
and find the listing
Category:
PDA
Device:
HP Jornada 680 Handheld
Name:
Jornada 680/­680e Vibrant Color Display Driver
Version:
Released:
23 Jun 1999
System:
Windows CE
Size:
23.45Kb
Description:
Jornada 680/680e Vibrant Color Display Driver for HP Jornada 680 Handheld
Type: Driver
The HP vibrant color display driver increases the color-depth of your HP Jornada 680/680e from 256 colors to 65,536 colors, which greatly enhances every color image you view on the Jornada while browsing the web or viewing BITMAP files. This driver will replace the existing 256 colors display driver in your Jornada. The file 680DDI64.ZIP contains two files: DDI.DLL and README.TXT. Please read the README.TXT for install and uninstall information. If you have an International English (purchased outside of the US/Canada) or non-English Jornada 680/680e, or if your unit has serial number SG92600000, this driver is already pre-installed in your Jornada and you do not need to install the driver again.

Edited by torch 2024-02-22 1:35 PM
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-02-22 8:58 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks Torch. I'd take a look to that website, and After closing some popups, and two or three AVG warnings the links to the files seem to not work at all (surely my phone's fault) . Meanwhile, I am writing my first mini article about the J680, and start to look for a bronze membership. It is not so expensive, and the benefits are many.

Edited by ABBADON 2024-02-22 9:00 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-02-22 1:37 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Sorry about that. I’ve used that site before in the past but not this particular file.

It was hard to find that file online other than HPC:Factor.
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-02-22 4:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Don't you worry at all. Sometimes sites are not updated anymore with no warnings, and remain active with all their links leading to a 404 error.

Another question I have is: is it normal that the charging light remain red for hours?, The charger was connected for almost 5 hours and I cannot see the green light...

Probably this is caused because the palmtop was inactive for years... Any suggestions about this?, is it normal?, the battery it's - apparently - stuck at 60 or 70% of its capacity...

Edited by ABBADON 2024-02-22 4:34 PM
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.375 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 13