x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

eVC4 Japanese Installation Updating

1 2
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-14 5:48 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

@watamario15 had created a guide on how to install eVC 4 (Japanese version)
Source: https://brain.fandom.com/ja/wiki/Microsoft_eMbedded_Visual_C%2B%2B_4.0
Show spoiler...
Microsoft eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 is Microsoft's official free development environment for applications for Windows CE .NET devices. This page introduces the steps to create an application for Brain using this development environment. However, please note that apps for the 5th generation cannot be created using this method.
How to install

Note: The full functionality of eVC4 cannot be used on Windows Vista or later, and problems may occur as it is only working with compatibility options. If you cannot use Windows 2000 or XP, it is safe to use VS2005, 2008 or CeGCC. Also, if you are using Windows Vista or later, you may receive an emulator-related error during installation, but please ignore it.

Download eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 JA from the Microsoft Download Center (direct link). Also, create a work folder (e.g. unzip_emvc) to be used from "2" onwards in an easy-to-understand location such as the desktop.
Run the downloaded file to open the self-extracting settings. Click the Browse... button to specify the directory of the working folder created in "1", and click the Unzip button to unzip it.
Confirm that the files are extracted directly under the directory of the working folder specified in "2".
Run setup.exe in the working folder you checked in "3" and follow the instructions in the dialog to install. The product key you will be asked for during the process is listed on the download page.
Download and run Service Pack 4 (direct link) for Windows 2000, XP or Service Pack 3 (direct link) for Windows Vista or later. As with "2", the self-extracting settings will open, so unzip it in the same way.
A folder called DISK1 should have been created, so run setup.exe in it and follow the instructions to install.
Install the Standard SDK. In addition, in the case of Windows 2000 and XP, it is also possible to install both SDKs and select which one to use when building.
If you are using Windows Vista or later, or if you want to target other CE4 devices (such as Sigmarion 3), run setup.exe in the SDK folder in the work folder confirmed in "3" and install according to the instructions. To do. However, if you are using Windows Vista or later, run it in Windows XP (Service Pack 3) compatibility mode.
If you are using Windows 2000, XP and are not targeting other CE4 devices, download and install the Windows CE 5.0 Standard SDK. This is where you can get something closer to the native SHARP Brain.
Run Microsoft eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 added to the Start Menu and press New. A window like the one below will appear, so check whether you can check the CPU at the bottom right. If an error message appears during startup or the checkbox is grayed out, the installation has failed, so please check the previous steps again. In particular, there are many cases where SDK installation fails.

EVC4 CreateNew
Brand logo
advertisement
build

First, make sure you can build with the sample project.

Select "File" -> "New" -> "WCE Application" and choose an appropriate project name (for example, HelloBrain). By default, the project location is deep (C:\Program Files\Microsoft eMbedded C++ 4.0\Common\EVC\MyProjects\XXX), so it is better to change it.
Check ARMV4I for CPU. If you want to target others, you can check them additionally.
Select "Standard 'Hello World' Application", press "Finish", then press OK.
Select "Win32 (WCE ARMV4I) Debug" in the upper left, or if you are using the Windows CE 5.0 SDK, switch to "STANDARDSDK_500" on the left and press the "Build" button. When you finish, you will get an error like "...the application cannot run on an emulator device", but ignore it and press OK.
If successful, an executable file that runs on Brain will be generated in his ARMV4IDbg in the project folder. The sample application will run if you follow the method described in How to start the app.

The automatically generated files are a mess, so if you want to actually develop it, we recommend creating an "empty project", adding the source code, and building it. You can also refer to existing projects.
supplement

Source files, header files, and resources appear when you switch to "FileView" on the left, and can be opened by double-clicking. Please note that only Shift_JIS character code is supported.

If you set the output file name of "Project" -> "Settings" -> "Link" to "ARMV4IDbg/AppMain.exe" (or "ARMV4IRel/AppMain.exe" for Release builds), you can save the trouble of changing and transferring each time. It's easy because it can be omitted. Also, if you use an external library or a linker error occurs, you will need to add the necessary library files to the "Object/Library Module" below. The library that provides the Win32 API functions is written at the bottom of the MS article that says "Function name Windows CE". Commctrl.lib, commdlg.lib, mmtimer.lib are often added.
category
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.

( I wanted to try and compile some Japanese source code without having a bunch of Squares - thus supporting Shift-JS encoding basically )

Anyway, my questions are the following:

1- are the English updates for eVC 4 compatible with the Japanese eVC4?
eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 Update 5636
eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 Update 5625
eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 Update 5483
Smartphone 2003 SDK SPDPS Update
Windows Template Library (WTL) 7.5

2-If not, Does anyone know where the Japanese versions of these updates were?

3-Are the SDKs Language independent? The post by watamario15 seems to suggest any SDK will work.

4-Are the updates in question 1 minor, meaning I shouldn't lose any sleep trying to locate them?

5-Will eVC4-JP work on an English install of Windows 2000 or will it require a Japanese install?

6-Will the eVC4 English version work to compile Shift-JS Japanese language code or only the Japanese verison? This is the only reason I wanted to go through this effort, If the English language one will work, then I guess we don't need to do steps 1-5

Edited by torch 2024-03-14 5:55 AM
 Top of the page
AximUser Page Icon Posted 2024-03-14 2:36 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I use some Japanese software but don't do any real programming, so can only provide you with some general comments

Desktop Computer running Windows 7 or Windows 10:
1. On an English computer, simply installing the Japanese language pack USUALLY allows all Japanese characters and programs to display properly. It is easy and quite good.

2. There were some rare quirks and exceptions (some were related to characters, others to regional settings), so in a Japanese professional office environment I really ended up using 3 computers (full Japanese Windows install, full English Windows install, hybrid install).

HPC or PDA:
I can provide some general tips, particularly for WM6.1, if you like.
 Top of the page
watamario15 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-15 1:45 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

1, 2, 4. I don't know what they are, but at least you must use Japanese version of service packs.
SP3 (the latest you can go with Windows Vista and later): https://web.archive.org/web/20180420090715/https://download.microsoft.com/download/3/9/e/39e7ef4d-8c26-482b-8133-5e07c7c5b208/evc4sp3JPN.exe
SP4 (the latest): https://web.archive.org/web/20201008101356/https://download.microsoft.com/download/b/f/d/bfd2a609-ee3a-4ac3-931b-06030d251eef/evc4sp4JPN.exe

3. SDKs look like language independent, like https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17310 works on Japanese version of eVC4.

5. You definitely need the Japanese install that uses Shift_JIS as the system locale. I briefly tested the UTF-8 system locale, and the Japanese version of eVC4 got completely corrupted (attached the screenshot). Not only characters but also all functionality got buggy, even trying to open a workspace led to a crash. (On newer Windows you can switch the system locale to Shift_JIS manually but it affects all the apps you currently have and quite possibly corrupt them, so I can't recommend doing it)

6. Idk, I have never tried the English version. But I guess, no. Shift_JIS must be dealt specially. All implementations that treat Shift_JIS characters just as ASCII fail to handle the second-byte. The most popular thing is, Shift_JIS can take 0x5C in the second-byte, which breaks most programs as it's the code of the ASCII "\" (backslash).

Edited by watamario15 2024-03-15 2:09 AM

(evc4-utf8.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments evc4-utf8.png (27KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-15 3:30 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

AximUser - 2024-03-14 7:36 AM

I use some Japanese software but don't do any real programming, so can only provide you with some general comments

Desktop Computer running Windows 7 or Windows 10:
1. On an English computer, simply installing the Japanese language pack USUALLY allows all Japanese characters and programs to display properly. It is easy and quite good.

2. There were some rare quirks and exceptions (some were related to characters, others to regional settings), so in a Japanese professional office environment I really ended up using 3 computers (full Japanese Windows install, full English Windows install, hybrid install).

HPC or PDA:
I can provide some general tips, particularly for WM6.1, if you like.

Thank you for your help! That makes sense, I may later down the line make a Windows 10 install on my spare thin client in Japanese and use the tools natively there
watamario15 - 2024-03-14 6:45 PM

1, 2, 4. I don't know what they are, but at least you must use Japanese version of service packs.
SP3 (the latest you can go with Windows Vista and later): https://web.archive.org/web/20180420090715/https://download.microsoft.com/download/3/9/e/39e7ef4d-8c26-482b-8133-5e07c7c5b208/evc4sp3JPN.exe
SP4 (the latest): https://web.archive.org/web/20201008101356/https://download.microsoft.com/download/b/f/d/bfd2a609-ee3a-4ac3-931b-06030d251eef/evc4sp4JPN.exe

3. SDKs look like language independent, like https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17310 works on Japanese version of eVC4.

5. You definitely need the Japanese install that uses Shift_JIS as the system locale. I briefly tested the UTF-8 system locale, and the Japanese version of eVC4 got completely corrupted (attached the screenshot). Not only characters but also all functionality got buggy, even trying to open a workspace led to a crash. (On newer Windows you can switch the system locale to Shift_JIS manually but it affects all the apps you currently have and quite possibly corrupt them, so I can't recommend doing it)

6. Idk, I have never tried the English version. But I guess, no. Shift_JIS must be dealt specially. All implementations that treat Shift_JIS characters just as ASCII fail to handle the second-byte. The most popular thing is, Shift_JIS can take 0x5C in the second-byte, which breaks most programs as it's the code of the ASCII "\" (backslash).

You're good, that answers all of my original questions! Much appreciated

I had a few more questions for you
7-So theoretically, if I have a Japanese install of eVC4, I'll be able to compile Japanese and English programs successfully? Meaning there's no issue just compiling a normal program there and be able to do everything basically? (obviously the language part notwithstanding, I know I don't know Japanese and I'd have to compare the EN version with it so I could figure out what I'm doing)
8-What is the exact issue you had with eVC4 SP3 versus SP4 in Windows Vista and higher? I wonder if it's an EN vs JP issue. I'll need to ask WinCEDev and I dunk for bananas if their EN install on Windows 10 is eVC SP4 or not
9-Do you know where to find eVT3 in Japanese? I presume the file name would be JP_WINCE_EMBDVTOOLS30.exe

EDIT:I found the download and name but the link doesn't work
9a-It looks like there's a JP version of the HPC Pro (Windows CE 2.11) SDK too
https://web.archive.org/web/20021001192411/http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sample.asp?url=/MSDN-FILES/027/001/967/msdncompositedoc.xml
10-The only other file I'd like to find is Windows Template Library 7.5
Is that file 'language independent' as well, or do we need to find a JP version of that as well?
Here's another site I found with WTL but no JP versions I could find
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wtl/

Edited by torch 2024-03-15 9:38 AM
 Top of the page
watamario15 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-15 3:10 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

7. I'd say "basically," as some English apps might use special characters such as the Copyright (C) that are defined in Windows 1252 charset (ANSI on English machines), which obviously don't get handled correctly on the Japanese version because it treat them as corrupted Shift_JIS (CP932) bytes.

8. SP4 didn't install at all on Windows 10/11 iirc, like the installer doesn't succeeds. "Windows Vista or later" is just an estimation and not that I actually tested on Windows Vista/7/8/8.1.

9. Unfortunately I don't have eVT3.

10. I heard of that library for the first time now so basically I have 0 knowledge of it. But from the looks of it, it's just an C++ library so I'd assume it's language independent.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-15 8:46 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Thank you for your help! I was able to setup a JP Windows 2000 VM and with your instructions I was able to get the tools and SDKs all installed! Works great

I added the Japanese versions of SP4,3,&1 to the download center here as well as English versions of SP2&3.

I also located the Japanese versions of ActiveSync 4.2 and 4.5 and added those too.

Do you have ActiveSync installed as well? Or do you just use the dev tools.
The last download I was trying to find was the Japanese version of ActiveSync 3.8.

I’m super happy I was able to get this all setup. It’s been fun !!
 Top of the page
watamario15 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-16 2:34 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Nice, that's good to hear!
I don't use ActiveSync as Sharp Brain doesn't include that feature (thus not useful at all). So just compilers.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-16 3:32 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Argh! Sorry hahahaha. I forgot the Brain doesn't have ActiveSync.
I'm working on getting the VM all configured correctly. I know you haven't use WTL 7.5 but I was wondering if I could pick your brain on how I would go about "installing it"

Here's what the guide says
Features And Installation

This is the fifth public release of WTL, after WTL 3.0, 3.1, 7.0, and 7.1. It is also the first release of WTL under an open license, enabling developers from the WTL community to contribute to the library.

WTL classes can be used with either VC++ 6.0 and ATL 3.0, VC++ .NET 2002 and ATL 7.0, VC++ .NET 2003 and ATL 7.1, or EVC++ 4.0 or 3.0 with ATL for Windows CE. AppWizard for VC++ .NET 2002 and 2003 is included.

The WTL classes are provided in header files located in the include directory. The only header files that must be included is atlapp.h, while others can be used when needed. The name of the file doesn't mean that you have to create an application, just that atlapp.h contains base definitions required for WTL projects.

To install WTL, just copy the whole directory structure, or unpack the archive file, to the location of your choice. Please be sure to add the WTL\include directory to the list of include directories in VC++, so that the compiler can find them when you include them in your projects..

Setup programs for the AppWizard are provided. After executing the setup scripts, ATL/WTL AppWizard will appear in the list of AppWizards when you select File.New.Project in VC++ IDE. The file AppWiz\setup70.js is the setup script for VC++ .NET 2002, while AppWiz\setup71.js is for VC++ .NET 2003.

To manually install AppWizard for VC++ .NET 2002/2003, copy all WTLAppWiz.* files from AppWiz\Files to VC++ .NET projects directory, %VC7DIR%\Vc7\vcprojects, where %VC7DIR% is the directory where VC++ .NET 2002/2003 is installed. After that, open WTLAppWiz.vsz and modify the like that contains ABSOLUTE_PATH to contain %WTLDIR%\AppWiz\Files, where %WTLDIR% is the directory where WTL files are.

This release also brings the preliminary support for the Visual Studio 2005 (codename Whidbey). App Wizards for both Windows applications and SmartDevice projects are provided.

Also, another question for you, I was going to see if @C:Amie could "upload" a support document for how to install / setup eVC 4-JP.
Would it be okay if we copied the Google Translate from the Brain Wiki for the eVC install and gave you credit?
An example would be how this CE support article is at the bottom. but it can be any way you want

https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200220/restoring_the_siemens_simpad_slc_windows_ce_boot_loader

Acknowledgements
With thanks to watamario15 for the source of this article
This article was translated from its original source at https://brain.fandom.com/ja/wiki/Microsoft_eMbedded_Visual_C%2B%2B_4.0
 Top of the page
watamario15 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-16 7:55 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

> WTL 7.5

From what it says, I expect it to be like the following:

1. Open to the "Tools" > "Options" > "Directory" on eVC4

2. For each CPU add the path of WTL 7.5 on "Include Files"

What you will add in the second step is a path of "include" directory you will get by extracting the WTL.

> Would it be okay if we copied the Google Translate from the Brain Wiki for the eVC install and gave you credit?

That's fine, it's licensed under the CC-BY-SA anyways. One thing is, Brain Wiki is not my site but a wiki site with many contributors. So mentioning just me is kinda wrong and you should at least do the "watamario15 and other contributors" way (I don't even mind if you just do "Brain Wiki contributors", not at all mentioning me).

For the translation, recent Google translate is kinda "good" but still DeepL or ChatGPT is even better at dealing with Japanese language. You may not notice a large difference in performance of them when translating between "similar" languages such as European languages, but for languages like Japanese it's really huge. So if Google translate outputs a translation that doesn't makes sense you should try DeepL or ChatGPT.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-16 8:47 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

>That's fine, it's licensed under the CC-BY-SA anyways. One thing is, Brain Wiki is not my site but a wiki site with many contributors. So mentioning just me is kinda wrong and you should at least do the "watamario15 and other contributors" way (I don't even mind if you just do "Brain Wiki contributors", not at all mentioning me).

Understood, I'll make sure it's acknowledged that way. I still need to work on doing the support page, probably later on. I just wanted to touch base with you first. In any event, I'll play with the translation with DeepL or ChatGPT,.

This answers all of my questions I had - thank you again! Now off to the fun part of playing with eVC4 JP. I was using Google Translate "Camera Lens" option to translate
 Top of the page
watamario15 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-16 9:49 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Ah yeah, Google is very good at that Lens thing lol

Be noted when you use DeepL that while it produces far more natural language than other translator services, it sometimes forgets to translate some sentences. So using both the Google and DeepL helps.

I haven't done much testing in the translation aspect on ChatGPT but I usually find it's consistent and does a good job, except for being slightly involving as it's not technically a translator and you must ask it to do a translation work.

(But that "must ask" part is sometimes helpful, as it means you can teach ChatGPT a detailed context on a document to be translated, like "Brain" is not an organ but an electronic dictionary.)

Edited by watamario15 2024-03-16 9:59 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-21 6:45 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I'm happy! I finally got Windows 2000 JP patched. C:Amie helped me find about 95% of the patches from
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200233/windows_2000_patches_updates_guide/
https://archive.org/download/hotfixj

I also installed the 4.0, Sigmarion III 4.1, 4.2, and 5.0 SDKs. My install of eVC4-EN supposedly has WTL7.5 so I'll do more research and follow up with you.
^Funny quirk, I tried 7zip to extract eVC4JP and tried installing it- but I got an error about a file missing. BUT, doing it like your guide said and running the .exe and selecting a folder to unzip it fixed the issue and everything installed. 7zip may just be funky on some of those old .exe/extraction file archives.

^By the way, your guide mentions the 4.0 and 5.0 SDKs. Have you tried installing the 4.2 SDK?
https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/1096/Windows_CE_4.2_Standard_Software_Development_Kit_SDK

Not sure if it's useful for you to have that, but maybe another option to troubleshoot code if you need to compile. (LOL I know you know WAY more about eVC and programming than I do. I just was curious if you've played with the 4.2 SDK is all)
 Top of the page
watamario15 Page Icon Posted 2024-03-21 3:37 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I haven't used 4.2 SDK before, as I really have never needed that one (like, my code all compiles for CE4, and some other developers' projects don't support eVC at all and require CeGCC). But I did a quick test now and it installed fine on eVC4 (Win11) and successfully compiled my two projects (including Japanese one), and they even worked on Sharp Brain, thus I'd assume it works well for eVC4 JP.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-03-26 12:13 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hey thanks for the update and dealing with all of my questions. Now that I got the VM configured, I’ll try and have a go with compiling some more.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-04-13 7:19 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

@C:Amie I tried installing the eVC4 QFEs into the JP install. All seems to be well. I was able to compile stuff as normal.

Is there anything else I should double check?
^The original Microsoft download pages for the patches don't specify a language - so perhaps the patches are universal?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 10