x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows CE Development Books

torch Page Icon Posted 2024-04-06 4:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I was looking into getting two books about Windows CE development. One for EVB (Embedded Visual Basic) and one for EVT3.0 (Embedded Visual Tools)

I see several on eBay but I wasn’t sure which one is ideal.
To replicate my results I just typed in Windows CE Books and looked what popped up.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-04-06 6:31 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The original is the go-to for CE (the white cover one is for the original H/PC), but be warned, it is not a newbie friendly book. It effectively already assumes you have some familiarity with Win32 and COM. There aren't really any starter books for H/PC development and this is something that has utterly plagued our community in addition to the original cost of getting hold of the compilers.

There is also a CE .net version one with a black cover -
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-04-06 6:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

C:Amie - 2024-04-06 11:31 AM

The original is the go-to for CE (the white cover one is for the original H/PC), but be warned, it is not a newbie friendly book. It effectively already assumes you have some familiarity with Win32 and COM. There aren't really any starter books for H/PC development and this is something that has utterly plagued our community in addition to the original cost of getting hold of the compilers.

There is also a CE .net version one with a black cover -

Sorry last questions
1-for that book you mentioned is it okay to get the ce.net version (obviously not the ce6.0 version ) or is it better to get the evt3.0 edition book? Because boling has a few editons

2-can I get this book for evb?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-04-06 6:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes is probably the way to go, I've never seen it though to advise on what is in it.

The .net version I assume drops talk of older H/PC's and is aimed at VS2003 rather than VS5 + CE Tool Kit as the original is. I have the original, not the .net one so cannot confirm that.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-04-06 7:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Thank you! I ordered the two books you mentioned-Basic + the White Cover Boling book using the eBay hpcfactor referral links. Hope the referral go through !

And yeah I know most of it I won’t understand. I guess I just want to see if it helps me get better at recompiling for different architectures / narrowing down those compiling errors.
 Top of the page
WinCEDev Page Icon Posted 2024-04-06 7:27 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

C:Amie - 2024-04-06 7:53 PM

Yes is probably the way to go, I've never seen it though to advise on what is in it.

I have used this book to become familiar with eVB and it's a great resource, I can definitely recommend it.

It does assume some prior VB knowledge if I remember correctly, it mostly goes into eVB specifics and how to work with/around its limitations and differences compared to desktop VB. Also it is mostly centered around Pocket PC, but pretty much all of the content also applies to 'plain' Windows CE.

Edited by WinCEDev 2024-04-06 7:29 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-04-07 12:20 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

torch - 2024-04-06 7:01 PM

Hope the referral go through !

They have, many thanks
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 8