x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 680: Problem with CF Card

Mulder Page Icon Posted 2024-04-17 4:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Hello all
I have a HP Jornada 680 and bought a CF Card for it that I can use as an external memory. It used to work totally fine and I was able to move a lot of files on it and install programs on it. Then suddenly it stopped working on the Jornada and it doesn't show up in the file explorerer, but it is still working on my normal desktop PC, if I insert it. Is this a known problem with the Jornada and how could I solve it?

Thanks in advance!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2024-04-17 4:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Try doing "First Aid" if you're on Mac, and for Windows "Error Checking"

Some how to here: https://www.icare-recovery.com/howto/repair-corrupted-cf-card.html
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-04-17 5:18 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Adding onto what @stingraze mentioned.
I recommend making sure that you always safely remove the drive before ejecting (not saying you don't do that- I'm saying I used to do that, and it made my card corrupted. I'm very careful now!)

Also, make sure you in the future format CF cards with the correct cluster sizes per this article:
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200205/maximum_supported_memory_card_file_sizes_under_windows_ce/
Maximum Cluster Size: 32KB

Here's another good guide too:
https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/200061/compact_flash_cf_cards_and_handheld_pcs/
 Top of the page
Mulder Page Icon Posted 2024-04-19 9:50 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

Thank for your tips. I tried to format the disk on Windows with a cluster size of 32KB but my Jornada still doens't detect it. On my Windows 11 PC there is no problem and I was able to copy files to the card.

Could the problem be the card reader on the Jornada?
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2024-04-19 11:05 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

What is the size of the CF card? Can you format it on the J680? Fat16 or Fat32? Partition size?...Yes, I seen this before... probably a formatting issue, try smaller partition size, Fat32. Download minitools? partition manager and play around (CF card not pc harddrive right/caution) .....joval posted on J720/ethernet2wifi/WRP combo
 Top of the page
ABBADON Page Icon Posted 2024-04-19 11:16 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I think win10 and 11 are less picky with memory cards, whilst wince could be a bit more sensible with data failure or corrupted. So you can make the CF card work on windows 10 and 11. At least, that's what happen to me with pendrive that refuse to work on XP and work fine in win 7 or 10
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2024-04-19 1:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Does it have the same problem on battery as on AC?
Does the CF card work via an adapter in the PCMCIA card slot?
Does any other CF card work in the CF slot?
 Top of the page
Mulder Page Icon Posted 2024-04-19 2:09 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Newbie

I don't know how to format it directly on the Jornada and it doesn't show up at all sadly. I will formati it with minitools Partition Manager again but with 16KB cluster size and then hopefully it works again. I will update

Edited by Mulder 2024-04-19 2:11 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10