x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Origami Project

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-02-25 8:46 PM
#
I have no idea what it is, but its a microsoft thing and so far everyone is saying its a tablet w/ keyboard:

http://kevintwodotoh.com/2006/02/25/hardware/origami-video-the-real-deal.html

http://www.origamiproject.com/

(DNS Record for last URL: http://www.whois.sc/origamiproject.com)

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/24/microsofts-origami-project/

Anyone care to elaborate or express their thoughts?

Looks like my pay raise is about to go down the drain!

Edited by abyssknight 2006-02-25 8:53 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-26 10:56 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I can't find the video. What is it called? I saw a few named Microsoft something, but which one?

I do want to see a Libretto-sized tablet tho.
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2006-02-26 11:09 PM
#
Direct Link: http://www.pdamexico.net/abe/videos/msorigami.mpg

Note, not on the original site anymore. *hint hint*
 Top of the page
alphacrumb
alphacrumb Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 12:15 PM
#
Some sites (like Engadget) are speculating that the Origami project is Microsoft's fabled "ultramobile lifestyle PC"--a cross between a tablet PC, a personal media player, and a portable XBox. We'll know soon enough in two weeks, but this pic should whet your appetite (and yes, thank the gods, that's a a touch-typable keyboard--the Origami is twice as big as a PocketPC):

Edited by alphacrumb 2006-02-27 12:17 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 1:02 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

is this keyboard attachable or integrated?

well in the video it seemed like it wasn't integrated but the whole thing was in a case and they looked well integrated well, i don't know..

anyway if i like it (CE, in hpc format with tablet mode available etc) i will certainly pay more for this thing than for a jasjar (i saw the jasjar and it isn't worth 750$ to me)

takwu - 2006-02-27 4:56 AM
I do want to see a Libretto-sized tablet tho.

well i want to see something even smaller... jornada / sigmarion anyone?

but the video wasn't the best also the design (colour etc)... hrm. and the project name sounds silly to me. hope the final product will be something i like more.

Edited by cmonex 2006-02-27 1:09 PM
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 1:35 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

http://creativecoremedia.com/mso.swf

direct link to the flash swf that shows what the device looks like.

The posted image in this thread is a concept. It seems like the initial design is more like a big pocketpc style device running a full blown Windows (Vista).

Speculation is that the pricetag should be around $500.
I know if it's around that, that I want one.
 Top of the page
alphacrumb
alphacrumb Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 1:35 PM
#
The video (the one that starts off in a, err, Winnebago in the desert) is also quite old--about one year, I believe. It's a concept video with a fairly drab-looking prototype.

One possible picture of what the actual Origami will look like is this taken a few months ago:

Yet ... I suspect THAT is also just a basic prototype.

You can read Engadget's speculation here: http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/24/microsofts-origami-project/

So far, everyone's guess is still pretty much all over the place. The Origami could be a Video iPod-killer, a PSP-killer, or something altogether new. Amazingly, the rumors are overshadowing those about Apple's upcoming secret product which might also be some sort of tablet PC--with multiple/simultaneous touchscreen input akin to what was seen in the movie 'Minority Report'.

What I'm hoping for with the Origami is something like a handheld version of the Fujitsu Lifebook P series, with a swivel screen and CE.NET (or possibly Windows XP Embedded) for instant-on and long battery-life.

In any case, the truth might come out this Thursday at the Origami teaser site here:

www.origamiproject.com

Edited by alphacrumb 2006-02-27 1:42 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 2:28 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes. instant on, battery battery battery, keyboard keyboard keyboard, and tablet mode.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 4:51 PM
#
H/PC Elder

OK, at first I thought someone was trying to fold their hpc into a swan or something bizarre.

This might just tie into HP spinning of their Ipaq division to a separate company. If HP/MS have close ties then maybe HP will be the OEM for the Origami.

In any case, for $500 (if that's true) I'd certainly want one, moreso than a S3.
 Top of the page
alphacrumb
alphacrumb Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 5:42 PM
#
If the Origami looked like this, I'd be first in line.

Maybe, just maybe, Apple and Microsoft are about to start a new HPC war. I'm not crossing my fingers, but I'm ready for a new wave of HPCs if one did start. (My chequing account, on the other hand, would be almost as ready--especially at $500 a pop.)

As for HP being an OEM, that's a possibility. Yet some sources are betting the Origami will be a Microsoft manufactured/branded product like the XBox. The "Plays for Sure" model for media players (with Toshiba and Creative) hasn't garnered much brand-consciousness with consumers, at least when compared to Apple and iPod.

Edited by alphacrumb 2006-02-27 5:54 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 9:28 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok after watching the video I'm not very excited. Yes it is a Libretto-sized tablet, and I'd like to see it. But it'll probably sell for a similar price as the Libretto or OQO.

I already have my Smartbook G138, which I just decided to keep despite having a Sig3. I still find the Smartbook to make my bag a bit heavy. So I wouldn't want to carry this Origami thing with me either, assuming that it would weight about the same. I agree that a PC weighing less than 1 lb (500 g) would be more desirable. Too bad the OQO has only a thumbboard and Sony U tablets have no built-in keyboard.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 10:14 PM
#
H/PC Elder

It will fall off my radar if it's priced like the OQO. But, big but, if it is $500 prepare to stand in line for days to get one. This is one gadget I'd advance order and work the bugs out later.
 Top of the page
msafi Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 11:17 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

actually, like alphacrumb said, microsoft has confirmed that the device in the video is a one year old prototype, according to engadget.

so i think the final product which will be announced on thursday will look a little different. i'm looking forward to the official announcement
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 11:47 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I heard about origami on NPR this morning, don't usually listen to NPR but still, it sounds nice. Did not check link yet though. Good news for HPC fans though.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-02-27 11:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

If it is real and cenet powered and $500 does that send the value of our hpcs into the toilet? Really, it will be hard to justify $300 for a 728, $400+ for a S3 and so-on if this gadget is $500.
 Top of the page
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.267 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 11