x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Important question! Are there 2 different types of 720?

hp720dude Page Icon Posted 2006-05-01 6:13 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hey everyone. I just got my replacement 720! I notcied, however, that there is a differnce between the new one and the original one. My new one came with a USb cable and docking station. however, the original one was all blue, and this one has a gray bottom but a blue top. Is this normal? Or are there 2 types of jornadas? Because they both say 720, however, the new one seems "older". Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!
 Top of the page
hp720dude Page Icon Posted 2006-05-01 6:26 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Don't ever buy from Tiger direct! My replacement 720 doesn't respond to touch screen!

This is disgusting!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-05-01 6:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ooops.

sorry to hear its touch screen doesn't work.. did you try recalibrating it? doesn't respond to touch at all?

i don't think your original one was all blue, the bottom of all jornadas is grey. though if you meant the part around the keyboard, that should be blue, if it isn't but grey instead, then that part is put there from a J728.

are the warranty labels voided? (under the main battery)... then it has been taken apart before.

press reset button then press S before the hp logo comes up and you can check your jornada's build date in there.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-01 6:55 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There are different versions of the 720, it was manufactured from 1999 through to 2003, they made slight tweaks here and there - though not major.

The 710 came without a cradle and with the 720's style
The 728 came with a cradle and had a different case

There are also different regional versions, with different keyboards. You can use the CESD on hp region codes to see where your device was made for originally.
 Top of the page
YOM Page Icon Posted 2006-05-01 7:03 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

hp720dude - 2006-05-01 6:26 PM

Don't ever buy from Tiger direct! My replacement 720 doesn't respond to touch screen!

This is disgusting!

Actually what really is interesting is the support statement put on the webpage by TigerDirect. HP has declared all blue (pre-meger HP) handheld devies as obsolete and the only technical support available is from either local authorized service providers-good luck trying to find a Jornada service provider-or off HP's website. The only handheld technical provides is for iPaqs.

Top of the page
hp720dude Page Icon Posted 2006-05-01 7:22 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

C:Amie - 2006-05-01 6:55 PM

There are different versions of the 720, it was manufactured from 1999 through to 2003, they made slight tweaks here and there - though not major.

The 710 came without a cradle and with the 720's style
The 728 came with a cradle and had a different case

There are also different regional versions, with different keyboards. You can use the CESD on hp region codes to see where your device was made for originally.

Thanks for all the info guys! I am sending both back, and I am getting a full refund. I will never buy refurbished though. I sure learned my lesson. Thanks again! BTW, how many type of 720s were made over the 4 year course?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-01 7:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There are no different types as such

Differences over the manufacturing cycle are things like chips, rom build versions (nothing significant changes), controller firmware. Nothing really relevant.
 Top of the page
ledthrax Page Icon Posted 2006-05-03 4:44 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

hp720dude, did the refurb'd unit from Tiger Direct come with the cradle?

What else was wrong with your 720 besides the touch screen not working?
 Top of the page
Jornada 660lx Page Icon Posted 2006-05-03 6:04 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I am about to buy one from Tigerdirect; what are the chances of me getting a bad one?
 Top of the page
ledthrax Page Icon Posted 2006-05-03 7:42 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

That's what I'm wondering also...
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-05-03 11:31 PM
#
H/PC Elder

My experience with TD and defective stuff has been negative.

They made me jump through hoops and do backflips when I wanted to send back defective gear.

Personally, I don't buy from TD anymore unless it's a dirt cheap item I can't find anywhere else. In other words, it's less stressful for me to throw away a defective $20 item from TD rather than return it.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 1:41 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

And that's exactly what they're counting on. (Just the same, though, I wish I'd been there to watch you jump through those hoops and do those backflips. )
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 8:22 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Really, if they're selling refurbed 720s for $199, then there's a gentleman selling one here for the same price and it's brand new. Get that one.

On the 'bay, I just received a Jornada for $105 (w/ a/c adapter only and a 256 mb CF) with fine screen and keys (weirdly scuffed case, but I knew that coming).

Ultimately, I like to buy from users who can at least answer questions about the specific device at hand, not just root through a pile of J's. As a rule of thumb, I find that if a 'bay seller posts your question (mine's always about physical condition), then s/he is ready to stand behind the machine. That and a seller with lots of positive feedback might you lead you to a better experience than Tiger.

FWIW,
Jake
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-05-04 11:14 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Don't get me ranting about Tiger's rebates either. 0 for 3.
'nuff said.

Figuratively Gregg
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-05-05 1:59 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Aw, man . . . .
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.191 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 16