x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Weird: A Celeron 700mhz CE3 Notebook for general consumer?

1 2
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2006-07-29 11:50 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Can ya expect such a weird (at least for me and for the time of its release) wince notebook for the general consumber market in Japan, in September of 2001? yes, it was for the consumber market then and this really made the release difficult 2 understand..... if it were meant for industrial market, that would be probably fine and normal.

It is PCN-C700 from Purpose of Japan. it is based on ce3 platform builder with celeron 700, sis 630s, 12.1-tft lcd and only 64M ram, etc.

i want 2 stress the release time because the hpc market has by then already dramtically shrank. what is more, the prices of ordinary notebook (especially light weight ones) have been greatly reduced and become more affordable for general consumers.

so, what is the point of releasing such a big big wince notebook in late 2001? Is there any substantial demand for it?

i doubt and i really dont know. most of its relevant infoz is in Japanese and I just get the main idea. do not bother to learn all the feedback for this machine with translation tools. in fact, not much info on the sales volume and i dont want to dig out, because kinda difficult for me 2 do so 5 years later.

btw, Purpose was once a notebook maker in JP and surely only sold their products in JP. It now has pulled out from Notebook business altogether and no infoz at all about these wince notebook on their websites. just some bios upgrade for normal notebooks now.

if it is still available now with a good good price, i dont mind owing one. ))

Edited by iamjoe 2006-07-29 11:52 AM
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2006-07-29 11:53 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Detailed spec:

CPU:????Celeron 700MHz
??????:SiS630S
???(??):64MB SDRAM(192MB)
????????:64MB
CD-ROM????:??24??
??????:SiS630S??
??????:SMA?????????????????(??8MB)
??????:12.1???TFT??
?????:1,024×768???/65,536?

???????:SiS630S??
?????:87??
??????(??)CMCIA Type2×1(1)
????????:USB×3???????(D-Sub 15??)×1??????×1????×1?10Base-T/100Base-TX(RJ-45)×1
??:??????????????AC??
????????:?4??
?????(W×D×H):269×242×25.4(???)~29(???)mm
??:? 1.9kg

?????:?????Web?????????????????????

the then MSRP is from US$980 to US$1100 for different models

for better readability, sorry for the red color due to the japanese character

Edited by iamjoe 2006-07-29 12:09 PM
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-07-29 12:08 PM
#
H/PC Elite

There are alot of computers that are for Japanese market only.

The Japanese people like small computers and platforms that are quick, as do I.

They probably made it to test the market. They are or maybe some on the secondary market.

Example in this testing , there was a few makers who put cable outlets on the laptops.

I can go home unplug my cable from the TV and put it in my laptop and watch cable.

I bought one and it was awesome to watch regular TV without cable and then cable TV when I get home.

It didn't last long because most Japanese didn't see the need for it so they took them off.

Now you can get TV on almost all Japanese only computers and yes cable with remote. Desktops also have this feature.

S/F,
CEYA!

Edited by Ceya 2006-07-29 12:11 PM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-07-29 3:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

So, I guess it has an x86 processor.. Anyway, since it has CD-ROM, I guess, and this may sound crazy, but maybe regular Windows (not CE) could be put on it, if it was put on in the first place, this product might have sold better, besides, there is not very much x86 software out there for Windows CE ...

Edited by tenjeangosi 2006-07-29 3:43 PM
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-29 4:24 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

tenjeangosi - 2006-07-29 3:42 PM

So, I guess it has an x86 processor.. Anyway, since it has CD-ROM, I guess, and this may sound crazy, but maybe regular Windows (not CE) could be put on it, if it was put on in the first place, this product might have sold better, besides, there is not very much x86 software out there for Windows CE ...

I dunno about that... TFGBD has created a pretty comprehensive list of x86 CE software. There's more than you would think.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-07-29 4:28 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yeah, I know, I have seen and quoted that list a few times.. Kudos to TFGBD for that list .. Anyway, I take back my statement, I think there were about 20-30 titles on TFGBD's list..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-29 5:14 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

TFGBD is currently engaging in recompiling stuff for x86 (open source ones of course)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-07-29 5:18 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Cool, again, kudos to TFGBD .. What software is TFGBD recompiling?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-07-29 5:24 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh he's recompiled so many already .. i cant remember ask him at efnet #HPCDev
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2006-07-29 6:04 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

tenjeangosi - 2006-07-30 3:42 AM

u dont have 2 guess. it has a Celeron 700 CPU, as suggested by the title. of coz x86...

what is more, one model even has 1394 port. i know wince at least supports 1394, at least in theory. but what can ya do with wince and 1394....

really weird. USD$900 for this "HPC" in late 2001...

Some links:

http://journal.mycom.co.jp/special/2001/windowsce/ CE3 platform builder screenshots.

http://journal.mycom.co.jp/news/2001/09/18/08.html

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pC/docs/article/20010918/purpose.htm

Edited by iamjoe 2006-07-29 6:10 PM
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-07-30 11:13 PM
#
H/PC Elite

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pC/docs/article/20010918/purpose.htm

translation to English/

Windows CE machine based on Takagi industry and note PC?Consumer
electronic personal computer equipped with Celeron?CEPC?

PCN-C700
Order beginning on September 18

Standard price
"PCN-C700": 109,800 yen
"PCM-C700": 118,000 yen

Where to make contact: Takagi industrials type company
Tel.0545-33-3931

The Takagi industrials type company ships two models of the Windows CE machine based on note PC on the order beginning and September 28 on September 18. Two models (A4 size "PCN-C700" and B5 size "PCM-C700" are prepared, and the price of "PCM-C700" is 109,800 yen "PCN-C700", and 118,000 yen.

Windows CE 3.0 originally customized to both models and OS is installed, assumed to be "Aimed at the consumer electronic sense that the beginner who was able to turn on, and to turn off the power supply of PC readily treated easily" in this company, and it is named consumer electronic personal computer "CEPC". HDD is not installed for the Window CE base.

It equips it with TFT (1,024×768 dots)13.3-inch liquid crystal, and in "PCN-C700", CPU is Celeron 700MHz, and 64MB and flash memory 64MB are installed in the main memory. 24-X speed CD-ROM drive is built into the chipset with SiS630S, and it equips it with the PC card slot of Type2 and Ethernet for USB and 100Base-TX. Touch putt of pointing device. It is not possible to use it though it equips with FDD, the modem, and parallel/serial port, etc.

The battery : driving time with the nickel hydrogen during about 3?4 hour. In the size of the main body, it is 315×256×42mm(width × depth × height), and weight is about 3.4kg.

PCM-C700
TFT (1,024×768 dots)12.1-inch liquid crystal is installed, and mobile Celeron 700MHz, main memory 64MB, and flash memory 64MB are installed in CPU in "PCM-C700". 24-X speed CD-ROM drive is built into the chipset with SiS630S. It equips it with the PC card slot of Type2 and Ethernet for USB×3,100Base-TX. The modem and the IEEE 1394 port cannot be used.

The battery : driving time for four hours with the lithium ion. In the size of the main body, 269×242×25.4?29mm (width × depth × height) and weight are about 1.9kg.

It is assumed that it gave priority from the portability to "The personal computer can be easily used" in this company though the advantage as the mobile device is lost by having made note PC a base in respect of the size and weight. It was assumed that it had been assumed to be a concept that it also was used also by the housewife and the senior citizen, etc. , and, therefore, narrowed the usage to the Internet, E-mail, the word processor, and the spread sheet, etc.Moreover, when it becomes high-speed, and ON/OFF of the power supply can be done to about 20 seconds by the consumer electronic sense, the start time explains the concept of "CEPC" by adopting Windows CE.

- Homepage of Takagi industry
http://www.purpose.co.jp/pc/
- Product information (PCN-C700)
http://www.purpose.co.jp/pc/lineup/pcn-c700.htm
- Product information (PCM-C700)
http://www.purpose.co.jp/pc/lineup/pcm-c700.htm

(September 18 of January the 20th)

S/F,
CEYA!

Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2006-08-11 1:43 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hey guys. Mscdex and Cmonex are correct. I have already compiled a number of open source Windows CE programs for x86! As for what...well... even I am starting to loose track. But I'll try to list what I can remember.

I have most of the essential programs like:

The Core Pocket Media Player (the source files are even preconfigured to compile for x86 with a third party assembler so god knows why the binaries are not public)
The latest nPOP build
Itaskmgr+Netmgr
Various versions of Emu48CE
Ev41CE
Ishisoft CEHTTP
KeePass (secure Password storage app)
GSFinder+
MortPlayer 3.3! (Carputer friendly variation of GSPlayer)
GSPlayer MIDI plugin
Wisbar original
XacrettCE
Pocket PuTTY
Vade Mecum (Plucker eBook reader)
Gapi Emu (A real GAPI that supports x86!)
PocketWarrior (Yes, there are x86 Intersil PRISM drivers.)
CHMReader for Pocket PC(needs mfc)
Graphite WinCE (graphing calculator)
Jinzo Paint
PocketOGG

I must say, there is not as much open source productivity software as I would like. It seems like there are many more open source ports of games and emulators than anything else. Nonetheless, here are some of the games/emulators I have already ported:

Scott Lu's Invaders game (ARM too)
Chaos Strikes Back WinCE (Dungon Master engine)
nyagosu's emulators such as HPC 2000 PocketSNES, VBAdvanceCE, etc.
GNU Go CE
Microsoft Reversi
Microsoft Minesweeper for Smartphone
ZipCE (infocom z-machine interpreter)
Mini vMac 68k macintosh emulator

The following apps are ones I am working on or at least plan to compile in the future:
GSPlayer
PocketXPDF (needs VS2005)
Kawara (Newsreader)
JWPCE
MG Microemacs
rainer-keuchel's tools that he did not already port.
WarehouseGuyCE
The plethora of Doom/Quake ports.
CoPilotCE Palm emulator
UnRAR WinCE
ScummVM (This one is a major project and will also help to get the latest build supporting mips again)

Please note that I do not distinguish between Handheld PC and Pocket PC apps. Many of the apps I am compiling are for Pocket PC and will only work well on Windows CE 4.2+ with its AYGshell unless Hou Ming can be convinced to compile his AYGshell and other dummy dlls for x86. :/ Also, many of the Pocket PC apps I have compiled use the MFC runtimes but without a dummy doclist.dll available for x86, they have no chance of even starting. Because there is no doclist, I compile the MFC runtime as a staticly linked library inside the EXE whenever possible. This also has the added benefit of not needing MFC at all to start an app. I may also post ARM and MIPS versions of popular MFC developed apps like MortPlayer or PocketWarrior to eliminte the need for hacking them and reduce conflicts with the HPC 2000 MFC runtimes.

That other version of my x86 CE software list is very dated. I do not think you have seen my latest version. I have found many more apps since then and I update it almost daily as I find new software to add. I even found PTab in some obscure industrial device's ROM update! SpreadCE is still better, but its nice to have options! To see my latest x86 CE software list check here:
http://www.cosmopod.com/mysite/tfgbd/x86%20CE%20software.txt You will notice that I added many nw sections like eVB apps and even a growing list of x86 WinCE hardware.

Between all of the software I have found and compiled, I think it is about time I start some kind of "x86 Windows CE Software repository" website or something. I do not really have a decent free host to use and my web design skills suck. If anyone would like to help me get a website set up or even help me get some apps compiled, come by and say hi on EFnet #hpcdev

If you know of any other open source programs that are not listed on my x86 CE software list, PLEASE do not hesitate to post a reply to this thread. I will add them to the list and try compiling them asap. Every little bit counts...
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2006-08-11 4:23 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

TFGBD - 2006-08-11 1:43 PM

Hey guys. Mscdex and Cmonex are correct. I have already compiled a number of open source Windows CE programs for x86! As for what...well... even I am starting to loose track. But I'll try to list what I can remember.

I have most of the essential programs like:

The Core Pocket Media Player (the source files are even preconfigured to compile for x86 with a third party assembler so god knows why the binaries are not public)
The latest nPOP build
Itaskmgr+Netmgr
Various versions of Emu48CE
Ev41CE
Ishisoft CEHTTP
KeePass (secure Password storage app)
GSFinder+
MortPlayer 3.3! (Carputer friendly variation of GSPlayer)
GSPlayer MIDI plugin
Wisbar original
XacrettCE
Pocket PuTTY
Vade Mecum (Plucker eBook reader)
Gapi Emu (A real GAPI that supports x86!)
PocketWarrior (Yes, there are x86 Intersil PRISM drivers.)
CHMReader for Pocket PC(needs mfc)
Graphite WinCE (graphing calculator)
Jinzo Paint
PocketOGG

I must say, there is not as much open source productivity software as I would like. It seems like there are many more open source ports of games and emulators than anything else. Nonetheless, here are some of the games/emulators I have already ported:

Scott Lu's Invaders game (ARM too)
Chaos Strikes Back WinCE (Dungon Master engine)
nyagosu's emulators such as HPC 2000 PocketSNES, VBAdvanceCE, etc.
GNU Go CE
Microsoft Reversi
Microsoft Minesweeper for Smartphone
ZipCE (infocom z-machine interpreter)
Mini vMac 68k macintosh emulator

The following apps are ones I am working on or at least plan to compile in the future:
GSPlayer
PocketXPDF (needs VS2005)
Kawara (Newsreader)
JWPCE
MG Microemacs
rainer-keuchel's tools that he did not already port.
WarehouseGuyCE
The plethora of Doom/Quake ports.
CoPilotCE Palm emulator
UnRAR WinCE
ScummVM (This one is a major project and will also help to get the latest build supporting mips again)

Please note that I do not distinguish between Handheld PC and Pocket PC apps. Many of the apps I am compiling are for Pocket PC and will only work well on Windows CE 4.2+ with its AYGshell unless Hou Ming can be convinced to compile his AYGshell and other dummy dlls for x86. :/ Also, many of the Pocket PC apps I have compiled use the MFC runtimes but without a dummy doclist.dll available for x86, they have no chance of even starting. Because there is no doclist, I compile the MFC runtime as a staticly linked library inside the EXE whenever possible. This also has the added benefit of not needing MFC at all to start an app. I may also post ARM and MIPS versions of popular MFC developed apps like MortPlayer or PocketWarrior to eliminte the need for hacking them and reduce conflicts with the HPC 2000 MFC runtimes.

That other version of my x86 CE software list is very dated. I do not think you have seen my latest version. I have found many more apps since then and I update it almost daily as I find new software to add. I even found PTab in some obscure industrial device's ROM update! SpreadCE is still better, but its nice to have options! To see my latest x86 CE software list check here:
http://www.cosmopod.com/mysite/tfgbd/x86%20CE%20software.txt You will notice that I added many nw sections like eVB apps and even a growing list of x86 WinCE hardware.

Between all of the software I have found and compiled, I think it is about time I start some kind of "x86 Windows CE Software repository" website or something. I do not really have a decent free host to use and my web design skills suck. If anyone would like to help me get a website set up or even help me get some apps compiled, come by and say hi on EFnet #hpcdev

If you know of any other open source programs that are not listed on my x86 CE software list, PLEASE do not hesitate to post a reply to this thread. I will add them to the list and try compiling them asap. Every little bit counts...

thanks for your great work. with your software list, we may not be that lost with some x86 pda or thin clients.

if possible, i would like to have the above-said x86 wince notebook. that would 2 difficult. Celeron 700 x86 cpu, quite nice

but x86 thin clients will be much easier to find.

btw, do you ever have the chance to test TCPMP on x86 pdas? what about the performance? what x86 pda do you own right now?

thanks
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-08-11 8:16 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

iamjoe - 2006-07-29 4:04 PM
but what can ya do with wince and 1394....

Firewire Hard Drives anyone?
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2006-08-12 2:10 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

tenjeangosi - 2006-08-12 8:16 AM

iamjoe - 2006-07-29 4:04 PM
but what can ya do with wince and 1394....

Firewire Hard Drives anyone?

yes, i know there r tons of firewire devices. there are even firewire cf card readers, etc.

i mean wince probably only support 1394 in theor and in theory only. such a support might be only written on books only and Probably never got implemented. unlike wince support for usb. there is still unofficial drivers for usb usage if NEC or HP did not include usb driver in their original package.

if the system oem did not go all out to write 1394 drivers or things like that, i doubt there is zero support for 1394 on wince coz not a single 1394 device will ship with ce drivers. but some usb devices (though few) has their own ce drivers, like some usb floooy drives... u know what i mean...
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.437 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 39