x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows CE to CDROM, ZIP, MO, HD, JAZ, CD-R

[Frozen]
1 2 3
Frozen
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-08 7:08 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

VCD may be, they are MPEG1, so the likes of BetaPlayer or Wodeon may do the job.
DVD is MPEG2 so there is the codec issue. & frankly I'm not sure a H/PC is tool out powerfully enough to cope.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-02-09 1:01 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Well there is an HPC2000 device with a 400MHz XScale And for that matter it has a USB host too.

Yeah it might be too much for a lesser processor to handle. But hey it might be not as bad since it would be projected at a lower resolution. We just need the software tho...

I'll actually raise that question on the next local PPC meet...
 Top of the page
Stevie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-09 12:51 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I've just tried an Adaptec slimSCSI 1460D card with Adaptec's WinCE driver V2.12 in my Jornada 720 and it works fine with a Jaz 1GB drive. It can read and write to the drive ok. I tried copying Acrobat to it and it runs ok and only slightly slower than from the device itself. I tried daisy chaining a CD Rom but it would still only see the Jaz drive which it calls a 'Storage card' in Explorer. I'll try again when I can find another suitable SCSI device.
Stevie
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-09 2:36 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Stevie,

Thanks for the info. That would seem to corroberate the English language drivers documentation on daisy-chain devices.

Incidentally do you know what file system the Jaz was using?

If you're feeling game the Japanese drivers mentioned above may allow you to daisy-chain.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2005-02-10 3:58 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Stevie - 2005-02-09 2:51 PM

I've just tried an Adaptec slimSCSI 1460D card with Adaptec's WinCE driver V2.12 in my Jornada 720 and it works fine with a Jaz 1GB drive. It can read and write to the drive ok. I tried copying Acrobat to it and it runs ok and only slightly slower than from the device itself. I tried daisy chaining a CD Rom but it would still only see the Jaz drive which it calls a 'Storage card' in Explorer. I'll try again when I can find another suitable SCSI device.
Stevie

Cool Stevie! I'm so glad someone got to try it out. yeah..!
 Top of the page
Stevie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-10 12:28 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Well the Jaz Disk I was using just showed FAT under properties in Windows. I reformatted it to FAT32, used it on the Jornada and it worked fine. Further investigation on the Adaptec website shows info about connecting more than one device and version numbers. It looks like it can be done but for some reason my SCSI housing does not let me see the CD from the Jornada (OK from Windows).
I'll investigate further when I can connect directly to the CD drive.
For those interested, details about connecting more than one device are here:-

Link

and info about card version numbers etc is here:-

Link

Note that it looks like a 1460 version D card is needed for the Jornada 720.

Stevie

Edited by C:Amie - URL's condensed.
 Top of the page
Stevie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-15 4:38 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I've given up on the SCSI CD ROM connection as I have just been using Resco's Explorer software. Has anyone else used it?
With a wireless connection I can use my Laptop for CD ROM access by sharing the drive and accessing it through Resco Explorer. I can also use the PhotoViewer software to browse images stored on my USB drive which is attached to the same laptop. In short no more need for a SCSI connection.
I'm really impressed with the software, it will even open zipped archives straight off of the PC!
Stevie
 Top of the page
oski
oski Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 4:54 AM
#
Hi,

Any suggestions where to find Drivers for my CNF(now defunct)Cardport 24x, to use with my Z50?

Many thanks

oski
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 3:25 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

www.hpcfactor.com/hcl

-C:Amie, where's that picture?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-20 6:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Unless there are specific CE drivers issued by the manufacturer, or it is a SCSI device. Then no.
 Top of the page
darbour1
darbour1 Page Icon Posted 2005-03-01 4:54 PM
#
Hello everyone,

I have a HP Jornada 720 and would like to use it as a MP3 Media-Jukebox in my car. My car Radio is a JVC with mini-din MP3 input in the front of the radio.

I was originally thinking of buying an iPod ?? with a 40GB.

Does anyone know for sure if I can purchase an Adaptec SlimSSCSI APA-1460D PCMCIA adaptor to connect to a SCSI harddrive. I already have a few spare SCSI drives and this is why I would prefer SCSI... Unless you guys have a way to connect an IDE drive via the cradle USB port.

Your help would be much appreciated. Does the Jornada 720 support large harddisk (40GB+ via an an Adaptec SlimSSCSI APA-1460D PCMCIA adaptor ???

Thanks very much in advance,
Dan
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2005-03-19 11:41 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,

A newbie question: will any SCSI CD-RW work with the Adaptec PCMCIA 1460 in my z50?
Many thanks.

Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-19 5:00 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I do not believe that a cd-writer would be possible, as CE would not only need the software to write, but also a constant speed that it may not be able to support. (Well, slow writes could be done) Does anyone know if there is some sort of way to do this?
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2005-05-22 1:48 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hi,

New to the forums here - although I've been reading them for the last couple weeks. I recently got a MobilePro 780, and have been tinkering with it. Lots of good information on this site, and I wanted to give back a bit in return.

I have an Adaptec SlimSCSI 1450B (*not* a 1460, but I suspect they are related products - 'P/N 1681400 A' is the part number on the bottom of the card). I saw discussions (on this thread and others) about WinCE drivers for the 1460, and I figured I'd try them anyway, guessing that the innards of the 1450 and 1460 are the same. The difference appears to be that my 1450B has a permanently attached cable with a HD-50 connector on it. (The 1460 apparently has detatchable cables.) I downloaded the 17-Aug-2001 driver package from Adaptec's site. As I suspected, these drivers work with my card. Occasionally the system hangs up (requiring a soft reset), and sometimes it can be VERY slow, but I am able to access files on multiple SCSI devices.

I was able to daisy-chain two devices - an Iomega ZIP 100MB SCSI set to Device ID 5, and a Panasonic KXL-D745 battery-operated SCSI CD-ROM drive set to Device ID 4, with the CD-ROM as the terminating device. Both devices show up in My Handheld PC. Interestingly, the CD-ROM shows up as a folder with whatever the volume name of the CD is, while the ZIP drive shows up merely as "Storage Card". I will have to investigate furthur to see if naming the ZIP volume changes the name from "Storage Card" to whatever I call it.

The only other quirk I noticed is that, for some odd reason, when I use the SCSI card it sometimes renames my "Storage Card2" directory (256MB CF card) to "Storage Card22". I have apps installed on the card, so that's a mildly annoying problem. Ejecting the card and re-inserting it usually fixes it, although once it did hang the system and require a soft reset.

Anyway, almost 2AM here now. Hope this helps someone. Again, great site!

Brian
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-22 8:12 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Brian,

Thanks for the info. I will get it added to the HCL.

You may find this article useful to combat your storage card name problem:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0010.asp

It is rather technical, but if you can get through it you will no longer see the card issue.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 12