x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows CE to CDROM, ZIP, MO, HD, JAZ, CD-R

[Frozen]
1 2 3
Frozen
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 11:52 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hi,

Thanks for the tip - some useful information in that document. I think I have an easier solution in my case, though.

I notiece that the card in the CF slot on my MobilePro 780 always comes up "Storage Card2" (except when I play with the SCSI card), even when the PCMCIA slot is empty. Even if I do a hard reset, and power up with a card in the CF slot, it comes up as "Storage Card2". According to the info in that guide, it should have been coming up as "Storage Card" (since it was the first, and only, CF card in the system).

Looking at the registry keys mentioned in the guide, I found a key called "Folder2" (under the Driver\PCMCIA\ATADISK.DLL keys) already in my registry. The key value was set to "Storage Card2". I changed that key value to "CFCard", and now my CF card folder always comes up as "CFCard", no matter what I do with the PCMCIA slot.

Which brings me to a semi-related (and somewhat interesting) point. Here's what I think was going on. The machine was enumerating devices, starting with the PCMCIA slot first. It found 2 drives, and named them "Storage Card" (my ZIP drive) and "Storage Card2" (my CD-ROM drive), since if a name is taken the OS appends a digit to the end of the default name. Then it went to the CF slot, and found a device there. It tried to name that one "Storage Card2" (since that's what the key value is), but that name is taken already. Again, if the name is taken, the OS appends a number to the end of the specified string. So it took the key value ("Storage Card2" and appended a number ("2" to generate the name "Storage Card22", instead of the more sensible "Storage Card3".

Wierd part is, I never actually have a "Storage Card2" folder, since the folder corresponding to the CD-ROM is given the volume name of the CD in the drive. (i.e. if I burn a CD, give it the volume name of "FooBar", what I see in My Handheld PC is a folder named "FooBar (CD-ROM)".) Tonight, I had Explorer open as I installed the SCSI and CF cards, and watched the directories change in the Explorer Window. I do, briefly, see a "Storage Card2" folder, but it disappears and is replaced with a name like "FooBar (CD-ROM)". So, apparently, somewhere along the line the OS is renaming the default folder name to whatever the mounted volume's name is and appending "(CD-ROM)" to the end.

All of which makes me wonder, if the OS can read the volume name off a CD-ROM and rename the folder, is there some way to make it do the same for normal read-write media like CF cards? I'm still poking through the registry, trying to find any keys for the CD-ROM drive when it's mounted. See if anything interesting comes up.
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 12:33 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

btrimmer - 2005-05-24 11:52 PM

Looking at the registry keys mentioned in the guide, I found a key called "Folder2" (under the Driver\PCMCIA\ATADISK.DLL keys) already in my registry. The key value was set to "Storage Card2". I changed that key value to "CFCard", and now my CF card folder always comes up as "CFCard", no matter what I do with the PCMCIA slot.

Apparently not. Sometimes my CF card comes up CFCard and sometimes CFCard2. But only when I'm using both drives on the SCSI adapter. Apparently Folder2 just specifies what to name the second (and later?) device. *shrug*
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 7:39 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Nice try, but yup.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-08-09 5:18 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

wish i had ce pro
 Top of the page
frmichaud
frmichaud Page Icon Posted 2007-09-25 4:03 PM
#
I have a question about the use and instalation of driver on a 720 for an adaptec 1460D
I downloaded the 2.12 drivers from adaptec site but when I run instalation on the 720 I have a message telling it is not supported on this machine

Question
Must the card 1460 be installed in the 720 before running setup
Must a SCSI drive be connected to the card before running set-up

Can you explain how you did to be successfull
Tahnks
Francois
frmichaud@compuserve.com
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-09-25 4:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That's nice, execpt this discussiuon happened over two years ago. Please start your own thread on the subject and please don't ask people to email you - come back here to the forums and spend some time with us.

Thread locked
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 11