x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Questions about Jornada 680E

« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... Next »
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-07 2:19 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It doesn't provide you the ability to print from the cradle. You either have to attach a compatible printer to the device or use a compatible printer over a lan share.
 Top of the page
Lensman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 12:14 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

stephenhammer - 2005-03-07 12:56 AM
Information on forum on Jornada 680E have been helpful

Ordered a Jornada 680e at <Justdeals.com>

This one is not listed as a Dutch RR should have both CF and PC Card ports.

Welcome to the forum! C:Amie's done a great service to all us handheld lovers. I've learned a lot here. You'll have to post details on your machine when you get it, so we'll have a better idea about what varient it is.

Also purchased a 1 gig CF card.

There are five gig PC card Type II card revolving drives on market.

I checked an IBM compatibility document and 680s are listed as compatible with microdrives. The idea of an HD-enabled Jornada is really pretty cool. Too bad you can't put them in the CF slot.

You'll want to make sure that 1GB CF card is Type 1 (some are Type II) or you'll have to use it in the PC card slot with an adapter.

Does software do plug n play to reconize drivers?

Not exactly. You'll download the driver with ActiveSync, then your card should be recognized when it's plugged in. If you plug in the card and the 680 doesn't recognize it, it'll then ask for the name of the driver.
 Top of the page
Lensman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 1:33 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Lensman - 2005-03-07 11:14 PM

Information on forum on Jornada 680E have been helpful

Ordered a Jornada 680e at <Justdeals.com>

This one is not listed as a Dutch RR should have both CF and PC Card ports.

Welcome to the forum! C:Amie's done a great service to all us handheld lovers. I've learned a lot here. You'll have to post details on your machine when you get it, so we'll have a better idea about what varient it is.

Also purchased a 1 gig CF card.

There are five gig PC card Type II card revolving drives on market.

I checked an IBM compatibility document and 680s are listed as compatible with microdrives although the hardware section here lists them as questionable. The idea of an HD-enabled Jornada is really pretty cool. Too bad you can't put them in the CF slot.

You'll want to make sure that 1GB CF card is Type 1 (some are Type II) or you'll have to use it in the PC card slot with an adapter.

Does software do plug n play to reconize drivers?

Not exactly. You'll download the driver with ActiveSync, then your card should be recognized when it's plugged in. If you plug in the card and the 680 doesn't recognize it, it'll then ask for the name of the driver.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 8:37 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

When using MicroDrive under 2.11 you need to be aware of this:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0021.asp
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 1:16 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I think Tiger's lengthy, detailed description under reported what I would get. I understood that I would NOT get a CF card slot, just a PCMCIA & NO stabilizer, which concerned me when I discovered the custom bottom made the unit unstable. I removed the bottom, found the CF slot and it works. The stabilizer is also there. I am surprised that the firm that reburbished the units under license from HP didn't bother to remove the bottom plate and ship the units without it.

I also got something that was not advertised: Wingbats on the keyboard! I have always wanted a computing device that had the Cents sign, the infinity symbol, copyright, arrows and other wingbats!

Lensman, I found a "High Speed USB Serial Adaptor" and the maker says it is HP compatible. It is specifically designed to let you connect devices that require a serial RS-232 connection. [KeySpan.com/products/usb/usa19w/

I thought such adaptation was possible. When USB was new, I bought adapters for parrallel and serial devices (printers and a handheld scanner) to connect them to PC USB ports. I did get noticeably faster output speed. I doubt input into the 680 will increase much.

Anyone ever tried a finger stylus? Sounds good but does it work well? [arkon.com/stylus]

Has anyone tried saving print jobs to a CF Card and using it to print from a PC? When I set up my first Linux diven PC, I used a floppy disc to print documents & spread sheets generated with Linux by printing them with a Windows PC. Worked fine.

Top of the page
Loose Canon Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 2:21 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Here is an UPDATE on the 680E I purchased from TigerDirect.

Well last night I turned on my Jornada and the wireless nic wouldn't lock. So I fiddled with it a while did a soft reset and tried again. Still no dice. Next I tried to check the HPC's IP address. File not Found?!? WTF! So I went to where I installed the network cards drivers, which happened to be on the Compact Flash card which was in the slot that doesn't exist . Damn its not reading the card I thought. So today I took the Compact Flash Card to Circuit City to test it in one of their many devices that support them. Depending on how you look at it I was lucky or unlucky because the card was good and all the data was there. However that means the 680E stopped reading the card. So I tried another card in it and it too didn't "discover" it had been installed.

So I called up Tiger and explained my perdicament "sort of" I told them I am in the Army and am currently being moved to Germany and no longer have the box because the movers had already packed and shipped my entire house. They said since it was "not working", which was the only discription I had to give, I could do an exchange since it was under 30 days.

I think when I get it back I will probably auction it off on ebay or sell it on here, then upgrade to an NEC or a Jornada 720.... But who knows.
 Top of the page
Lensman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 2:50 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Loose Canon - 2005-03-08 1:21 PM
...Depending on how you look at it I was lucky or unlucky because the card was good and all the data was there. However that means the 680E stopped reading the card. So I tried another card in it and it too didn't "discover" it had been installed...

I think when I get it back I will probably auction it off on ebay or sell it on here, then upgrade to an NEC or a Jornada 720.... But who knows.

Before you do that, you might want to check your flash card and make sure it's formatted for FAT and not FAT32. I briefly had the same problem until I realized my CF card came formatted for FAT32. I reformatted it to FAT and it's work fine since.
 Top of the page
Lensman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 2:51 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Loose Canon - 2005-03-08 1:21 PM
...Depending on how you look at it I was lucky or unlucky because the card was good and all the data was there. However that means the 680E stopped reading the card. So I tried another card in it and it too didn't "discover" it had been installed...

Before you do that, you might want to check your flash card and make sure it's formatted for FAT and not FAT32. I briefly had the same problem until I realized my CF card came formatted for FAT32. I reformatted it to FAT and it's work fine since.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 2:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Firstly you should not install Drivers onto CF cards, they should be under \windows. This is because of the hardware mounting order, the PCMCIA and CF slots (same driver for both) are done last, so when it comes to the drivers it can't load them from the CF card because the CF card isn't in itself loaded.

Have you installed the PCMCIA update on it, if so delete pcmcia.dll frm \windows if not, install pcmcia.dll from \windows.

Lastly the retractable door on the 600 and 700 series holds quite a bit of tension. It is very possible that the problem is simply the bus ribbon cable has come loose from its lock slot. It is a simple enough procedure to put it back in if you are comfortable with opening it up.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 8:33 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I just checked UPS and my new Jornada will arrive tomorrow, it just sucks waiting on it. Next my new wifi card will be in the next day. Wish me luck.
 Top of the page
LX200
LX200 Page Icon Posted 2005-03-09 2:51 PM
#
I have a couple older PCMCI combo cards (56kb modem/LAN) that I keph when retiring old laptops. No driver but would the Windows CE recognize and install standard drivers? I believe they are 3-Com cards.

Thanks
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-09 2:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Check the hcl http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/ it is great
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-09 3:00 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Check the hcl http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/ it is great!
 Top of the page
#
H/PC Vanguard

Check the hcl http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/ it is great!
 Top of the page
#
H/PC Vanguard

Sorry about that, my computer got stuck and when I refreshed it posted all of those duplicates.

Edited by Yoldering 2005-03-09 3:03 PM
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.484 - Cached queries : 26 - Executed queries : 58