x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Torx Screwdrivers for Jornada 680s

1 2
Lensman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-06 10:22 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

bruisedquasar - 2005-03-06 7:09 PM

There are companies that sell PDA screen protector kits. You fit them yourself. I examined one that is a little pricey but it makes it so users can see the screen in bight outdoor like. The protector filters UV rays. I am not up to laying out $35 for a screen protector myself...

Can you provide a link to one of these?

bruisedquasar - 2005-03-06 7:09 PM
By the way, will a Serial to USB adapter work with the J680s? I am not sure but I think USB may require a driver but it seems to me that HP did sell USB cables for the 600s, which would mean the unit supports at least USB 1.0 -Correct?

I'm inclined to think that wouldn't work because of the fixed serial communication speeds. But I honestly don't know and am curious as well.

Anybody?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-07 6:24 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Does 911 actually have screen protectors?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-03-07 12:41 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Yes, having suffered through the dreaded Revo battery failure (happened right away, with NIB Mako from ebay) and now having the screen cable fail (I thought that only happened to the 5mx's), I stand in proper awe of HP's rugged structures.

Psion's ER5 is a masterpiece, however, and I actually bought another Mako because of the OS and its nifty size.

But the J-720 networks and other than the bigger Psions (which I thought were TOO big), that alone stopped me from choosing between the two companies (neither of which has particularly good support--we must turn to the forums for everything).

Jake
 Top of the page
Lensman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 12:46 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Bummer on your Revo. But I've heard nothing but great things about the Mako. I agree the Netbook just got too big for my tastes. When they get that size and cost about the same as a laptop, I'd rather go with the laptop since I'm losing the portable convenience anyway.

To me comparing Jornada to Psion handhelds is somewhat like comparing PCs to Macs. Both will do the actual work. The Mac/Psion is smaller, sleeker and probably a little better and more stable doing actual work. The PC/Jornada is bulkier and a bit flakier, but has more expandability, more software and more entertainment options.

It is sad the corporate support isn't there, though I think HP's reduced handheld support site is still better than anything Psion offered while they still sold their handhelds. But as you say, the forums are the place for true learning and tweaking.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-08 1:56 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Lensman,

I have not forgotten about the UV filter screen protector kits. I will look up the site. I keep a tech log. I logged the information...Just have to check last few weeks. I will get the site to you.

As I suspected, it is possible to adapt the serial cable to USB. When USB was new, I bought such an adapter for Parallel (my printer) and for a serial hand scanner.

A source for a "High Speed USB Serial Adaptor":
[keyspan.com/products/usb/usa19w/]

'Connect devices (PDA is included in the list and so is HP) that require RS-232 connection' It is pricy $49.95 but I'll bet less expensive ones can be found.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 8:07 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

FYI I went to Big-Lots today and they had an assortment of torx bits for pretty cheap.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-10 9:52 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I also got mine from Home Depot

"Fuller 14 in 1 precision screwdriver set"
Torx 6,7,8,9,10,15,15,20
Philips (+) 00,0,1
flat (-) 2.0,3.0,4.0

Quite a useful set. $12.88 CAD

Edited by takwu 2005-03-10 9:52 PM
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 6:52 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Sears Hardware has a "Proffesional" T6 micro driver for $3. I decided to get a 4 in 1 unit. One handle that has 4 interchangeable tips. Tips store in the handle. Cost $10 Blades sit in handle like an Exacto Knife. Included T6, #00, 2 Flat Heads.
Chris
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-03-29 1:00 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Just a follow-up on Expansys screen protectors. My set came, and their size is perfect, and they installed with much less hassle and dust compared to WriteRights. But aAs mentioned by Lensman, they do scratch easily, and they're slippery, compared to WriteRight's textured surface.

But the visibility of Expansys's is far superior to WriteRight's and because of that alone, I throw in my hat of approval as well.

Expansys provides no instructions, tips, nor fourm support, but just make sure your work environment and hands are clean, and get your screen dust-free before installing a protector. I installed left to right, though someone else might have success going from bottom to top.

I had a fair amount of tiny airbubbles at the end, but they don't show when the machine is on, and be VERY careful smoothing them out with a credit card as that too can scratch the plastic.

Jake
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 12