x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Prebuilt Jornada 7xx linux image

[Frozen]
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
Frozen
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 6:33 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

gaim still doesn't work on my jornada (trying to login a single account into msn) :/
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 11:04 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hmm, i dont use msn. Just yahoo/icq/aol/irc. The msn plugin is a bit old however, and may be the cause of it not working. You could install the jabber plugin and use that for msn i suppose.

ipkg install libgaim-protocol-jabber should do the trick.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
rlw Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 1:13 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

RTFM,

Thanks for putting this distro together. I played with it for a while on my 720, but found it to be too unstable for prime time. Perhaps it's a problem with my 720, or even the brand new 1GB Kingston CF card I used, but it locked up on me 4 times, just doing simple stuff like trying to set the time, browsing around in /etc/rc2.d, etc.

I don't know if this was a result of running Familiar/Opie, but my backup battery drained down -- as I recall, I just replaced it a month or two ago with a brand new battery.

Here is a tip for folks who might want to play with this:

Take a look at http://radiolivre.org/darksnow/jornada/#sec2.0 when you're setting up your CF card. I got confused with fdisk, couldn't find an ext2 partition type. This reminded me that you pick FAT16 (type 6) for the FAT side, and LINUX (type 83) for the ext2 partition. THEN... you do:
mkfs.msdos /dev/{first_partition} mkfs.ext2 /dev/{second_partition}
That's what formats and sets up the partition types. There's a lot of other good info in that link.

Thanks again, RTFM, for putting this together. If I get more time in the future, I'll play with it some more.

RLW
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 11:20 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,, w
Yesterday i was able to set an accounnt in GAIM but todayI I cac not open it, got "terminated due to signal code SIGSEGV, Checked Free and 64MB mem and 32MB swap are OK

Any ideas?
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 12:22 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Not offhand, but if you dont mind setting the account up again you could delete its settings folder.

rm -rf /home/root/.gaim

Cheers.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 5:18 PM
#
H/PC Elite

rlw: Using a backup battery with linux isnt needed. I remove mine as it makes rebooting ( hard resetting ) quicker. The lockups are baffling however. I've had it running for days on end w/out lockups. I do however *always* use a 32 meg swap file to help compensate for the lack of ram in a 720.

On a side note, i also uploaded an even smaller image with GPE desktop. I didnt install any development or many extra packages to keep it small. Its about a 33 meg download and uncompresses to about 91 meg. Figured the option of opie or gpe might be appealling in a small package. The drawback currently is gpe/X11 lack a decent browser (firefox is too large and finicky to include as of yet). Dillo, links and minimo are installed, and minimo isnt bad if you dont mind viewing pages in 'PDA' mode. It does however log into yahoo/hotmail email just fine. This also includes the latest 2.4.34 kernel from http://wwwcip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~simigern/jornada-7xx/

For the froggy you can get it here. http://www.hostwork.com/users/matt/j720/

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Kolya Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 11:54 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

RTFM, thanks for you distros!
Does it make sense to set a swap more than 32 megs on J720?
 Top of the page
cppchriscpp
cppchriscpp Page Icon Posted 2007-03-24 7:17 AM
#
I've been wondering that too. I'm waiting to try this until I get myself a 4gb cfII card drive. I have one in mind but I haven't brought myself to buying it yet for some reason Until then I wanna stick with my current system, as I'm quite happy with it, though I wish I could speed things up a bit. (Swap on normal CF is bad...)

But I've never really looked into what should be done with swap. I'm considering making a 64mb one when I get mine but I don't know if that's just really dumb since my 720 only has 32MB of ram.

I think I might stick with this after I switch if it works as effectively as I hope it will. I might change the desktop manager tho... (I still wanna get blackbox/fluxbox working but I can find no way to emulate right click effectively on the jornada)

I really like what you're doing RTFM, this is a very good idea. Probably the easiest way to start with linux on the Jornada.
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2007-03-24 9:57 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,

Well done RFTM!!! GPE looks nice and is good to have options!!!
But I will stick to the OPIE, because both Opera and Konq/Emb work extremely well!!!, and I will try to get GAIM working for me.
Are you sure you do not have a z50 in the loft?
Cheers
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-03-24 11:48 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Well, if you go by 'standards', your swap is suppose to be double your ram. So no, 64 meg swap is not overkill, thats actually the proper amount on a 720, and 128 meg swap for a 728. I guess it all depends on your usage, and CF size. Being that these are quite small images, i have gpe on a 128 meg cf and opie on a 256 meg cf, so i dont really have the room for those amounts of swap.

As for those thanking me, you're welcome. I've done nothing special, just took what was freely available, made the specific changes needed for the jornada 7xx's and added to them. Unless of course you're talking about opera, then yea, it's a generic hack that could probably be done better, but it works. Heh. I've just over time seen threads where some people wanted a premade linux, so they didnt have to go through much of a hassle to get a basic desktop and applications working.

cppchriscpp, yea no right click makes using fluxbox and a few other windows managers a trick to use. I'd stick with what you have if thats what you want. These opie and gpe images give you a more 'pda-like' experience, in the fact that the are small, light and both desktops have pda type applications and functions. Stick with 720deg if you want the 'full' linux experience.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
raul Page Icon Posted 2007-03-27 2:05 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Question - with this newest kernel is it possible to use bluetooth cards (like Socket one for example)?
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-03-27 4:35 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Honestly, i dont know, as i dont have anything bluetooth to test with. It looks like there is some sort of bluetooth support, just buy looking at the 2.4.34 modules. But again, dont quote me on it.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-03-27 8:05 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

There is bluetooth support in the kernel, and I am pretty sure that the socket cards work. If anyone wants to test, certainly go ahead. The Gernoth kernel does not have bluetooth enabled by default - I am working on getting my own configured 2.4.34.1 kernel out, but am a bit short on time.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-03-29 12:39 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Alrighty then. Not that anyone enjoys reinstalling, but i remade this whole opie image from scratch. Meaning none of my left over junk from experimenting etc was left behind. This new image also now includes the latest 2.4.34 kernel w/bluetooth support instead of the older 2.4.31 that was being used. Also this image is even smaller at about 94 megs uncompressed.

I've included a bunch of new apps, removed a bunch of buggy apps, removed all dev tools ( waste of space for average user ) and given it a new xp-luna theme and color scheme.

I highly recommend using this image over my last 2, as its clean, small, and quite a bit more stable.

Download size is now around 38 meg, and you can grab it HERE

Cheers.
 Top of the page
internetcz
internetcz Page Icon Posted 2007-03-29 4:03 AM
#
I have a jornada 728 with your linux image but I dont know how to make the linux
detect my wi-fi card (Cisco Aironet 350). What its necessary to do?
Thanks
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 36