x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Prebuilt Jornada 7xx linux image

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... Next »
Frozen
MC man
MC man Page Icon Posted 2007-12-07 7:38 AM
#
Great! Maybe you know what should I change in your keymap to get 'a, e, i, u, ' with '-' above, 'c, s, g, z' with v above, and 'n, l' with ' under through AltGr??? - These are the specific letters in Latvian....

Thank you!
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-12-07 9:21 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Welcome back Al!

So you had trouble with the new image too? Mine seems to extract okay, except for the "change permissions" errors I mentioned earlier. But when I try to boot, it gets just past the "add swap" and starts producing rows and rows (resulting in screens full of columns) of errors in hexadecimal that eventually end with a segmentation fault.

Repeated the whole process several times, both on my AData 1GB, and on my PNY 512MB with similar results. I wanted to make sure there was not a problem either with drive size or formatting/partitioning. But both have successfully launched earlier versions of Prebuilt and JLime Mongo, so this was just a precautionary measure.

I also tried downloading from RTFM's AND from qkall's site. Same results.

Seems like some folks HAVE used the image... RTFM, any clues?

B
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-12-07 10:20 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Just downloaded from both mine and qkalls servers. Both extracted fine, so not sure what to tell ya.. I would suggest not using gui archivers to extract the files as there have been numerous other people in the past also having issues in extraction. Seems most gui archivers are crap. Try just manually extracting from the command line.

bunzip2 -d j720-rootfs-11.27.07.tar.bz2
then
tar -xvf j720-rootfs-11.27.07.tar

Repeat the process for the fat16 and ext2 tarballs and you should be good to go. Also make sure you are root user when doing this to preserve file permissions.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-12-07 11:20 AM
#
I am sorry RTFM, I didn't explain myself correctly: the problem appears here when you extract (as root) both tar.bz2 on the partitions on the cf-card (a sandisk Ultra II, 2GB here). My message: 'impossible to modify the appartenance of the owner to uid 1000, gid 1000: operation not permitted'.
yours
al
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-12-07 11:38 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Right, I got the same message as al, when running tar from terminal, using Puppy linux, which defaults to Root anyway.

I have always just used tar -xf on all the extractions**, and I've been doing them ON the CF card. Which brings back a vague memory: I think once I extracted everything into folders on my hard drive, then copied it over onto the CF partitions, and didn't get the ownership errors. Will have to try that soon, but if someone else gets to it first and has success, let us all know!

**what does the -v switch add with tar? and using tar on the bz2 seems to run fine, usually, but might that be a problem? Bunzip -d is not in your instructions

B

Edited by bvjones 2007-12-07 11:40 AM
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-12-07 1:09 PM
#
Hi bvjones,

I think that -v is for verbose, and give you an output of each action performed by tar, in our case errors. And I think that the errors tell RTFM to change the ownership of the files inside the tar archive in order for use to be able to extract them as 'usual' users.

yours
al

PS: I don't have any experience in building keymap, but it is probable possible to modify the structure of the german keymap layout in order to include the minus and underminus; but then, how to put the minus up onto the u, a, o etc., I am sorry, I don't know; I am trying myself to bring the agrave, egrave, eacute in order to use é, à and è with the german keymap, but to no avail at this time. I am looking forward for a solution.
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-12-07 2:16 PM
#
.... and here the french keymap for the 7xx

http://www.fro4nix.net/download/fr-keymap.map

if it goes on that way, I am near to find the ch-keymap somewhere

yours
al
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-12-07 3:27 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Unfortunately i cant change the persmissions to work as a 'normal' user. The root filesystem HAS to be kept with root ownership to preserve the file system with the correct persmissions of all the files on the filesystem. Trying to extract and copy the files to CF as a user causes all sorts of problems, such as the ones you are describing.

The easiest thing to do is as bvjones mentioned, become root on your desktop linux, or live cd ( if you have enough ram to compensate for 220 megs being extracted to ram ), make a directory to extract the files into. Maybe name it 720linux. inside 720directory make 2 more directories, fat16 and ext2. Now extract the j720-rootfs. Then extract the files in fat16.tar.bz2 to fat16 dir, then extract the ext2.tar.bz2 to the ext2 dir.

Then mount your cf card (as root), copy the files in fat16 folder to fat16 partition, then copy files in ext2 folder to ext2 partition. I use midnight commander (mc) to do this.

If everything is done as 'root' user you shouldnt have any problems or errors. I just tested it again this morning before work without any problems. Seems qkall is also running it without issues, so in a nice way i guess i have to say it comes down to 'user error'.

p.s. Also make sure you are partitioning and formatting the cf as root user also. And make sure you wait 5 minutes after the copying is done just to be certain the files are done copying over. Its possible you are pulling the cf card too soon.

Good luck.

Edited by RTFM 2007-12-07 3:30 PM
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-12-07 5:12 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

SUCCESS!!!
It was something "stupid." I had been forgetting to change the params.txt to show only 32 mgs.
The long strings of digits were no doubt memory addresses that did not exist. Duuh
And I had typed up a nice, detailed and concise description of all my error messages too, before I thought of that!
Well, now I can finally go play with the new image.
B
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-12-07 5:51 PM
#
H/PC Elite

DOH!

Anyway, glad you figured it out.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-12-07 5:52 PM
#
Success, too, however not in the direct way, but by extracting the archives onto my hd in appropriate directories, and then I copied them onto the cf partitions.

Another success: I got the ch-De keymap working (let's say: a sort of) with the accents, minus and underminus; here is my way to go with the keymap:

1. take the german keymap for which I gave you the url; edit it with mcedit (f.ex.);

2. note: on keycode 20 you already have the ç, so you don't need to make an extra ç (you get ç by pressing altgr+4; altgr is the first key right to the space bar);

3. minus and underminus: I put them at keycode 73 with following syntaxe:

keycode 73 = period colon
.....(add the following two lines at the end of the section)
altgr keycode 73 = minus
shift altgr keycode 73 = underscore

4. dead_circumflex for the ê:

keycode 28 = apostrophe grave dead_circumflex
(at the end of the section, add the following)
altgr keycode 28 = dead_circumflex

5. egrave è:

keycode 43 = +udiaeresis +Udiaeresis
shift keycode 43 = egrave

6. eacute é:

keycode 58 = +odiaeresis +Odiaeresis eacute
control keycode 58 = eacute

With these lines, I got my é, à, è, and ê, as well as my - and _ by pressing the relevant key combination (with altgr or control). You have then a quasi full functional german and swiss french keyboard, which suffices to write without too much difficulty.

yours,
al
 Top of the page
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2007-12-10 4:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
RTFM - 2007-12-06 4:20 PM

>snip<
bunzip2 -d j720-rootfs-11.27.07.tar.bz2
then
tar -xvf j720-rootfs-11.27.07.tar

Repeat the process for the fat16 and ext2 tarballs and you should be good to go. Also make sure you are root user when doing this to preserve file permissions.

Cheers.

this is done in one line using the 'j'switch with tar - 'j' for bunzip...

tar -xvjf j720-rootfs-11.27.07.tar.bz2

And the v is for verbose - lemme see all that happens...
If you are trusty, tar -xjf will do the job as well, but you'll miss the eye candy
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-12-10 7:18 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Yeah i knew about that, but i was trying to 'dumb down' the issue a little and go back to basics, just in case there might have been a typo or something.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-12-10 8:29 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Speaking of "dumb", as I mentioned, I've been unpacking everything simply with tar -xf xxxxx with no trouble (except when I forget to change the memory size to 32 MB afterward )
B
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-12-10 10:01 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

By the way, can one of you Linux guru types spell out for me exactly how one "shuts down" the Jornada, in both icewm and matchbox? I know there is no true suspend mode, but I think there is some sort of comprimise?

Matchbox (which works better on my 720) has a "log out" option, but it just keeps running in the background and never actually logs out as far as I can tell. Some sort of continuous loop. I can still do other things though so it isn't freezing the whole system. Just now, I opened terminal and used exit, and logged off that way, then hit the on/off button. Are my settings saved that way? And am I getting maximum battery life? (The wireless appears to be off, too.)

In icewm I have shut down, and logged out, but I don't get to a really safe-looking screen, and sometimes it locks up too.

Top of the page
« Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 13