x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Prebuilt Jornada 7xx linux image

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... Next »
Frozen
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-12-10 10:51 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Yeah, the logout dialog in both icewm and matchbox dont work properly. The best thing to do is use 'ctrl+alt+bkspace' to exit out of X11 (matchbox or icewm). This will drop you back to console mode. From there just type 'reboot' (2.4 kernel doesnt fully reboot/shutdown like the 2.6 kernel does). You'll see the system start to shutdown, but it will eventually hang with 'hda: lost interupt' or something to that nature. Thats when its safe to pull the battery. Or if you dont want to completely shut the system down just hit the on/off button to go into 'fake' suspend mode which shuts everything off except the ram and drops the cpu down to 57mhz.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-12-10 11:45 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Great, thanks!
One more detail: You mentioned using a key combo to bypass all the setup stuff, but if I skip curser calibration, the curser is so "off" (by a good inch at least) I can't click the icons to open folders to boot! So I'm stuck at least going through THAT part of setup every time I power off completely, I guess...
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-12-11 12:11 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Dont need the stylus, just use the arrow keys.

Example: after ce boots use win+e to open file explorer, then use arrow keys to navigate to storage card, hit enter, then use arrow keys to navigate to linexec.exe, hit enter. Done.

Cheers
 Top of the page
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2007-12-11 6:33 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
RTFM - 2007-12-10 1:18 AM

Yeah i knew about that, but i was trying to 'dumb down' the issue a little and go back to basics, just in case there might have been a typo or something.

Cheers.

I'll update my install manual for the 900C to include the J720 as well. (around Christmas time )
It's mostly about formatting CF cards anyway.....
So there will be a full manual with screenshots for the 720 too. I just happened to have installed
your magnificent userland on the 720 I recently bought cheaply...
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-12-11 6:52 AM
#
Hi all, I am back again. I have a big issue with abiword: impossible to load any doc document; I tried rtf too, same issue. Message 'I won't mmap that file, using a slower method'. My documents (tested under the GPE and the last ICE-WM images) vary from 150kb to 1 MB. Any idea how to solve this? or is there a replacement for abiword? it's boring to go each time under win in order to type some letter.

yours,
al
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-12-11 6:54 AM
#
... same kind of issue with gpdf, it's impossible to load any pdf document...

yours,
al
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-12-11 7:01 AM
#
... and I forgot my initial question: how to hide the taskbar in ice-wm (last image)

thanks a lot for your support guys

yours
al
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-12-11 11:44 AM
#
H/PC Elite

michelbel: Cool! Thatd be wonderful.

al: Hmm, abiword seems to load .doc just fine here. I will further test that tonight with more .docs from various sources. Gpdf seems to be picky. A few pdf will open, some wont. I'll look into maybe pdf2txt which transforms pdfs to text, or maybe epdfview. As for hiding the taskbar in icewm, you can use ctrl+alt+h to hide/unhide taskbar, or again use alt+f11 (word key) to full screen any app/window which removes taskbar and window borders. You can then use alt+tab to cycle through open full screened windows.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-12-11 5:21 PM
#
Thanks a lot for your tests.

PDF: always no go; the app. under icewm even doesn't show my pdf files when I open them under the app.; so yeah, if you know another ipkg package that could read pdf, I take it;

DOC: still no go; impossible to open even a simple letter, abi crashes.

I tried to de-install (ipkg remove) and reinstall another version (ipkg install; found on other feeds over the internet) of abiword (actually several ones: 2.4.4; 2.2.7), but I have got always the same error message. It seems to be an old bug in abiword; the openZaurus packages didn't work for me because of dependencies problems. The Jlime team advice is to cancel the .Abisuite; I did it under root, to no avail tough... pretty lost here, so, thanks for support

yours
al
 Top of the page
Macros746 Page Icon Posted 2007-12-11 11:10 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I'm a complete Linux newbie but, using several guides I have gotten far enough to partition my CF card and make the directories correctly (I think). But I can't figure out (using puppy Linux Live CD) how to unzip the tar files that are on my windows harddrive onto my cf drive. how to I even navigate to them in Linux. It's the only step that doesn't seem to be detailed in any of the directions. Any help would be greatly appreciated...I feel like I'm almost there.....

thanks,
Macros746
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-12-11 11:43 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Since gpdf is being stubborn, and epdfview after testing is being equally stubborn, i decided to package up pdftotext and pdftohtml. They arent pretty by any means, but they get the job done. As seen below pdftotxt is just that.. converts everything to text in a somewhat organized fashion... pdftohtml takes much longer to convert, but looks much nicer. I took the jornada 720 userguide pdf to test with. (204 pages took about 3 minutes to convert to html)

This is pdftotxt

And this is pdftohtml

Ive uploaded a tarball with the needed files. Just extract it to / . The tarball is located here: pdf2txt (632kb)

To use pdftotext just issue the command 'pdftotxt -raw /path/to/pdf' The textfile will be located in the directory of the pdf file.

To use pdftohtml use 'pdftohtml -i -c /path/to/pdf' The resulting html pages will end up in whatever current working directory you are in. So i recommend creating a /home/root/pdf directory, then cd to /pdf, then run pdftohtml, because a 200 page pdf produces 200 html files....

Cheers.

Edited by RTFM 2007-12-11 11:46 PM
 Top of the page
Macros746 Page Icon Posted 2007-12-12 12:13 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Okay...I think I figured out all installation out...but what do I type at the login? Anything I type seems to result in an error!! Help PLEASE, I'm so close!

Macros
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-12-12 4:46 AM
#
RTFM: thanks for the workaround; it works here

What about Abiword? It's actually the app. I would use the most.

Macros746: login = root pass= root

Thanks a lot again,

al
 Top of the page
Macros746 Page Icon Posted 2007-12-12 9:01 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

AL...THANKS!!! That must of seemed like the dumbest question in the history of the world...but thanks so much!!!

Macros
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-12-12 9:32 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Macros: Congrats on getting so far on your own! It took me ages!
Now you just have to learn how to navigate the userland! (that's where THIS newbie keeps getting stuck! )
B

Edited by bvjones 2007-12-12 9:36 AM
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.389 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 31