x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 820 Battery

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
ledthrax Page Icon Posted 2007-10-03 12:06 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

So I removed the cells from my 820 pack and it looks like it will be a relatively easy job to get the new cells put together and installed. Removing the "pack" from the PCB just requires desoldering three points on the board. The hardest part was pulling the cells from the plastic case.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-10-03 3:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

ledthrax - 2007-10-03 4:24 AM

I have done quite a bit of small electronics soldering (have built multimeters and replaced resistors, capacitors, etc on PCBs) and have done hardwiring of cells in laboratory equipment. I'd have no problem giving it a try. If you want me to give it a shot, I can either buy the cells off of you and rebuild my 820 pack or send me the cells and a pack and I'll rebuild your pack and send it back to you when it's done. I would, of course, take pictures and make up a procedure on doing the rebuild to help the community.

By the way, what was the model number that you ordered from GP Cell?

The same part number you gave in the third post on the first page of this thread.

It'd be great if you could install the ones I got into my pack. (PM me with details.) Then you can test it yourself if you want to before sending it back. After that, the rest of us can order what we need. The seller is very friendly and helpful, and the price is good, so I think everyone here with an 820 should take advantage of the opportunity (and maybe get spares while they're at it - I plan to).
 Top of the page
ledthrax Page Icon Posted 2007-10-03 8:17 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Ok cool, I just wanted to make sure of the part number before I order some.

I'll shoot you a PM in a few minutes with my contact info and all that stuff.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-11-27 1:30 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Okay. Well, we don't know yet if the cells work. ledthrax tried to solder the new cells in, but it turned out to be a lot harder than he expected. They're in place, but we don't know how solid the connections are. Neither his nor my 820 will charge the pack with the new cells in. We're wondering, though, if the fault might be in the PCB rather than in the cells themselves. Since Gordon at GPCell had asked whether we needed a PCB (see one of my earlier posts), I'm going to e-mail him and discuss this with him. I'll keep everyone here posted.

Thanx a lot for all your help, BTW, ledthrax.

Edited by CE Geek 2007-11-27 1:31 AM
 Top of the page
ledthrax Page Icon Posted 2007-11-27 8:21 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I kinda figured that is what you would say about the charging situation.

You didn't want the old cells back did you? They were pretty beat and showed a bit of leakage...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-11-27 2:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Nah - toss 'em.

E-mail sent last night to Gordon - waiting for a response.
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2007-11-27 6:28 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Some circuits have damage/short protection which disables the pack and all cells from continuity after the pack has been disconnected- Ask me how I ruined a Fiva 101 pack :-D
 Top of the page
ledthrax Page Icon Posted 2007-11-28 6:26 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

That is kind of what I was seeing when I built the new pack. The pack itself was reading ~ 7.7 V, but only ~ 5.7 V when the pack was connected to the circuit board and I was checking on the terminals connecting to the 820.
 Top of the page
tmoore521 Page Icon Posted 2007-12-04 9:14 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've got a new one in the original box. It's the heavy duty type. I did take it out of the anti-static bag to test to verify it was still good. It took a charge and is holding well. let me know if this is a solution for you

Tom
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-12-04 10:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

New what? New pack, or new cell?
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-12-05 9:48 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2007-11-27 2:45 PM

Nah - toss 'em.

Is that legal? Aren't they hazardous material? I took my old cells to a hazmat collection day in my town.
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-12-05 10:00 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2007-11-27 1:30 AM

Okay. Well, we don't know yet if the cells work. ledthrax tried to solder the new cells in, but it turned out to be a lot harder than he expected. They're in place, but we don't know how solid the connections are. Neither his nor my 820 will charge the pack with the new cells in.

Will the machines run off the new pack? Presumably, there's some charge (aren't Li-ion cells shipped at 80% charge? and ledthrax said something about measuring 7.7V on the pack), so you could see if it powers up.

Out of curiousity: can you tell me the pinouts on the connector between the battery and the machine? As I recall, there are 4 contacts; I assume 2 are for charging the battery and 2 are for running from battery (though I'd have though you could share the ground). If I got a different 7.2V cell (from a laptop or portable DVD player), might it be possible to feed this in through the appropriate contacts?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-12-05 10:08 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Please dispose of dead cells responsibly. If your municipality waste compact them in domestic waste it could cause injury, not to mention the environmental consideration of burying heavy metal.
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-12-05 12:48 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Lithium isn't a heavy metal ... it's just a psychoactive agent ...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-12-05 1:02 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Other parts of a battery are
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 31