x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 820 Battery

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
ledthrax Page Icon Posted 2007-12-05 1:20 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

So everyone knows, the cells were properly disposed of through my company's hazardous disposal program. I do industrial environmental engineering and know what and what not to do with these types of materials.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-12-05 1:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

So everyone knows, I didn't mean toss 'em in the garbage - I meant dispose of 'em. (Sorry for the misunderstanding.) I never throw any batteries in the garbage.

I heard back from Gordon, and he wants to know if we can supply him with a drawing of the PCB, as maybe they can try to build one. I'm not sure if he meant a template of the PCB to determine its size and shape, or a wiring diagram, or both. (I sent an e-mail reply asking him; waiting for his response. I also asked if he wants me to send the pack to them so they can see the PCB and cell connections in person.) Anywhere we can locate the wiring diagram for the pack's PCB, in case we need it?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-12-05 2:58 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

gjcoram - 2007-12-05 4:00 PM

Will the machines run off the new pack? Presumably, there's some charge (aren't Li-ion cells shipped at 80% charge? and ledthrax said something about measuring 7.7V on the pack), so you could see if it powers up.

Out of curiousity: can you tell me the pinouts on the connector between the battery and the machine? As I recall, there are 4 contacts; I assume 2 are for charging the battery and 2 are for running from battery (though I'd have though you could share the ground). If I got a different 7.2V cell (from a laptop or portable DVD player), might it be possible to feed this in through the appropriate contacts?

yeah 7.7V would be enough to run them but i assume that's been already tried?

different 7.2V cell, you mean not lithium ion? don't try it
 Top of the page
ledthrax Page Icon Posted 2007-12-05 7:50 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

The problem was that the new cells would read around 7.7 V, but when the cells were installed in the pack with the PCB the terminals that connect to the 820 wold read a lot less.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-12-10 7:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Gordon from GPCell e-mailed me back today. He said that he talked to his engineers, and they may be able to give it a shot, but they're not confident they can build the PCB. Gordon asked that we send him both the template drawing and the wiring diagram. Anyone know where we can find the latter online?
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-12-23 12:53 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2007-12-05 2:58 PM

different 7.2V cell, you mean not lithium ion? don't try it

No, I meant a 7.2V Li-ion pack from say those cheap portable DVD players. I'd even figure to use the player's charger -- I could buy two, and swap the batteries for charging.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-12-23 2:01 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, since I don't have a wiring diagram for the battery pack PCB (and apparently no one else here does), I'm wondering if I should try checking with a local electrician to see if (s)he can properly connect the cells.
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2007-12-23 10:08 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have a deal cell I can donate (it's the black one from my prototype) if it can be replaced with a discount.

Also, what problem is happening with the connection of the cells? Shouldnt be too hard. I'm going to open up my battery and give it a shot.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-12-23 3:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Want me to send you the pack ledthrax tried it in so you can try it without ripping open your own pack?
 Top of the page
CheckMark
CheckMark Page Icon Posted 2008-01-13 8:37 AM
#
Has anyone contacted http://www.batteryrefill.com/contact_us.phtml and let them know your looking for a battery for your PDA?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-01-13 4:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Thanx very much for that link - I don't think anyone else here was aware of it. (Think I'll give it a shot myself after payday.)
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2008-01-14 10:09 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2007-10-02 11:19 PM
They do appear identical to the Sony ones that HP used in the 820 battery pack. They are untabbed. It appears that disconnecting the old cells and installing the new ones will require soldering, and I don't want to take a chance on that. Anyone else here willing to give it a shot?

Did Gordon say if he could provide tabbed ones? I'm pretty competent at soldering, but I'm a little nervous about doing so in close proximity to the battery itself, I'd rather solder to the tab with a heat-sink between it and the battery. For $8 plus shipping, I'm willing to try it myself, despite your difficulties.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-01-14 4:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'll ask him via e-mail as soon as I get a chance.
 Top of the page
CheckMark
CheckMark Page Icon Posted 2008-01-15 8:41 PM
#
Hi all I've got a battery source for the Jornada 820. At the following URL.
http://www.batteryrefill.com/laptops/hp/F1260-80068.phtml

F1260-80068, F1266A, F1266-60901 After Refill Capacity : 4400mAh/4.4Ahr
$69 - On Sale!!!
Out right Purchase
$109 - On Sale!!!

HP Model Number : F1276a, F1276-60901 After Refill Capacity : 6600mAh/6.6Ahr
Refill Price : $89 - On Sale!!!
Out right Purchase --- You don't need to send your battery ----- $129 - On Sale!!!

I've got a response from another source as soon as I get to read I'll post that too
I hope I've helped all of you in a small way.
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2008-01-29 10:44 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

$69 for them to refill it, versus $8 for new cells if I do the soldering ... I'm still hoping we HPC'ers can figure out how to recell these ourselves.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 49 - Executed queries : 30