x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

University in the UK

chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 1:09 PM
#
Quoted from C:Amies thread (hpcbay):

cmonex
wow chazco, uni is that expensive there?

me
University costs a fortune here. My tution fees will be a little over £10000 (just worked it out), plus living costs and so on for four years. I'll start a thread in GD later since this is going off-topic.

c:Amie
UK Tuition fees are fully subsidised by the SLC, and you don't need to pay it back until after your course and once you're earning £15,000. You don't actually need to find it while you're doing it. You also get Student loans, bursaries and maintenance grants/loans. I assume you're doing an MA if you are going in for 4 years? Having a nice H/PC at uni would be useful I'm sure lol

3 to 4 hours, 45 min would have been "3/4 hour"

cmonex, in the UK, since Tony "Such a great man" Blair came in, students leave uni with on average £21,000 debt. 9,000 for tuition, 9,000 for the maintenance loan and a few thousand over-drawn elsewhere. Before Blair, it was free.
Next year that will all go up, and the year after, and the year after that and so on.

The loans are interest free, and you don't pay them back until you're earning £15,000 a year, and they will expire one day too. They do rise with inflation though, so it isn't a free for all.
The sad thing is that so many people can't actuall cope with it, there have been a number of suicides (sorry your probably didn't want to hear that Chazco), but it looks good to the governments accounts, so hell, why not saddle your youth with astronomical debts before they've even started out - oh, and price them out of the housing market so that they'll never be able to afford a place to live. woo hoo, UK!

I wanted to take either Computing or Network Engineering (it keeps getting renamed). I'm not sure if its worth going given how much debt i'll end up with.

Any one else want to add their 2 cents?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 1:36 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oops, really, this is sad. it used to be free and has become so costly just recently? i'm afraid we're heading in the same direction here free at the moment (at least for the first time), will not stay this way this government sucks, beyond me why they've been reelected (ok i know it is because they LIED seriously to us before the elections this year.) i just hope i'll be left out of this as i've already started uni. fees will probably total 240-400 GBP or so, for a semester (five months). may not sound that much to you but it is a lot where the average *net* salary is about the same (for a month).
hmm, ok the picture looks better with the interest free loans.. inflation, oh, you don't the slightest idea of what real inflation is like. we do (in the 1980/90's)! so i wouldn't worry about that part. hmm, the uni loans here aren't interest free. so.. i doubt i'd ever take any of it. (not interest free) loan = robbery. & you can only get about 60 GBP a month at most not worth it...
end of rant.

Edited by C:Amie
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 2:13 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

hum, *cough* little edit there please cmonex...

Unfortunately the reality of the situation is that there are so many people with degrees these days that they are nothing more than fodder for your CV. At the end of the day though you need to do what it is that you want to do, and not what other people, or careers advice people tell you.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 3:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well, can't edit it any more. but my apologies if i was using foul language there.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 3:41 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Naughty moderator!
 Top of the page
insurgent Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 3:50 PM
#
Administrator
Factorite (Elite)

Crap. I must've missed the juicy bits!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 3:57 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

insurgent - 2006-08-16 9:50 PM

Crap. I must've missed the juicy bits!

honestly, you've not missed anything, except the sh*t word here "i just hope i'll be left out of this"
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 3:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Must make me a Knight in shining armour, only bad things would have happened if the morally virtuous Insurgent had seen it
Saved by C:Amie

I believe there is something in the board rules about *'ing out such words too Rebble.

Insurgent's post-count continues to scare me
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 4:27 PM
#
Its the old lines again, just with a little extra,

Cant get a job without experience, cant get experience without a job.
Cant get a job without a degree, cant get a degree without a well-paying job.

Student loans and so on only go so far, so you end up having to get one or two part-time jobs as well (quite a lot of people who've gone have got 3 part-time jobs and full-time in the summer), which means less time to study, which can only be bad.

Funny how the goverement neglects to mention that most of their qualifications were paid for by the state...
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2006-08-16 5:28 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Well I just finished the Federal Financial Aid stuff Interest rate is 6% Tuition is $1032 a class, or around 634GBP (for reference) plus fees. I'm taking 3 classes a semester. Not to mention books. Sucks on a single income.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 8